Back in the saddle?

Pleasant Hill, California
Well, my break is officially over as of today. I worked with the littlies at my friend's preschool in Berkeley this morning. Tomorrow, I work with the littlies in the morning and then see my first afternoon kid client of the year in the afternoon. I also have my first woodworking project of 2017--a McIntosh amplifier cabinet from the 1960s. The amplifier that will go inside this thing costs about $3000 on today's market, so I'd better do a good job. Are you still on break? Or are you "back in the saddle" for the new year?
• Eugene, Oregon
With the big retail rush season over, I am pretty relaxed this month, only scheduled for 20 or so hours and that is fine. However, I was asked just a few minutes ago if I could work tomorrow from 10 to 4. Someone is ill and there is a seed delivery.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Are you going to go for it? I'm always happy when I get called in to sub at the preschool.
• Eugene, Oregon
@TheHorse Yes I am. All these people I work with are too nice to turn down without a good reason. We might see some snow tonight though, but the road should be okay by 10 AM.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@JamesHxstatic You'll get enough of a thaw by then that there won't be black ice?
I am my own boss but I did slow down over the holidays.
• Pleasant Hill, California
What's your main "gig"? Are you picking it back up this week?
@TheHorse Yes I am, I have a Caribbean doll business, I paint and do other writing apart from on Mylot.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Kandae11 The doll business sounds pretty cool. Do you make them? Or distribute others' work?
Retired people don't get breaks. We're always on one. I'm glad you're back with the littlies once again and hope your time with your kid client was a good one yesterday. Your woodworking project is looking good.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Thanks, Valerie. Maybe I'll do a report on my little friend with expressive aphasia later today. He was my shadow yesterday, and I think I heard him say a couple of words.
@TheHorse Is him/her saying a couple words a great thing, or unusual as he/she is a talker.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@just4him He doesn't talk. He only grunts and gestures. But his comprehension is good. I spent a lot of time with him today. I may do a post about it now before I go see my afternoon kid client.
• Portland, Connecticut
I am into winter mode if that is the same and I am almost at my Florida home/
• Pleasant Hill, California
Where in Forida? I spent some time with a friend in Ft. Meyers Beach. Made me listen to a lot of Jimmy Buffett.
• Portland, Connecticut
@TheHorse I am in Ocala, "Horse" country lol
• Pleasant Hill, California
@BelleStarr Inland a bit?
@vandana7 (50332)
Back in the saddle...now that demonetization is behind us...standing in queue is the most boring thing...I have taken pictures of queue...just in case people here did not believe I was there...
• Pleasant Hill, California
Did you do a post about it? I just got back from seeing my first afternoon kid client of the new year.
@vandana7 (50332)
@TheHorse .. No I did not specifically do one on queues...lol...but my legs really felt terrible standing like that..I was hardly able to do anything..after standing in those queues...thank god it is behind us. I am nearing 58 Pony!!! Today is JJ's birthday if you want to wish him.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@vandana7 Dang, you JJ, DE and I are all peers.
This is still a slow week, because Friday is the Epiphany and it's still a holiday. The year for most workers start the next Monday. Kids also go back to school on Monday.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Some of our kids are going back THIS week. I don't start teaching at the College until January 25.
@TheHorse Kids and students started the Christmas holidays the 24th of December and they are back to school Monday January 9.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@LadyDuck My inner kid says that break is too short. But two weeks sounds about right. That's what I remember from my early days.
@divalounger (1518)
I began teaching again today. This week is a little sparse as many students are still out of town, but next week this will be rocking and rolling as I get ready for student recitals later this month--
• Pleasant Hill, California
Student recitals? Do elaborate! Do you teach music?
@TheHorse I teach classical singing privately and for a number of groups in the bay area
• Pleasant Hill, California
@divalounger Oh, that sounds very cool. I'm thinking of starting a Foundation of some sort to provide kids from lower income backgrounds with a chance to get private music lessons. I've worked with so many poor kids who had great musical talent, but got no continued training once they left the place(s) where I was working with them. I just got in touch with a woman today from musicinschoolstoday.org, which is affiliated somehow with KDFC, our only remaining classical music station. I may be able to get a guitar for one of the kids I work with now. Do you work with children as well as adults?
If the innards cost that much, I'd be leaving them out for everyone to ooh and aah at! :)
• Pleasant Hill, California
That's what I'm doing with my Fisher X-100B right now. This is it (output tubes not clearly shown) atop my Kenwood 5150 receiver.
@TheHorse Ooohh! Oohh! Aahh! (Gosh, I'm so funny sometimes!)
• Pleasant Hill, California
@JudyEv The X-100B causes many to go into spontaneous frenzy. I understand.
@CoralLevang (13535)
Oh, those cabinets of the day were beautiful. Glad that you are restoring many.
• Pleasant Hill, California
This one is done now. The owner is picking it up Wednesday.
@CoralLevang (13535)
@TheHorse Do you do other refurbishing? or only to speaker cabinets?
Sounds like you are off to a great start in the new year.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I must say I'm in pretty good spirits.
@TheHorse .....Glad to hear it. Nice way to start the new year.
I haven't been in the saddle for quite some time, in both senses of the phrase.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Well, I think there are many. I won't pry. Maybe.
• Manitou Springs, Colorado
Just the same old thing for us.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Is that a good thing?
• Manitou Springs, Colorado
@TheHorse - Yes, pretty much.
Love that old amplifier cabinet! I'm sure you will do it proud. I'm on a permanent break forever. I'm retired and loving it!
• Pleasant Hill, California
It sounds like you're plenty busy, though! That's a good thing, I think.
@TheHorse It's great and I'm loving every minute!!!
Have a good time jumping back in the saddle. :) Will it be your amplifier or a clients $3,000!
• Pleasant Hill, California
Oh, the amplifier belongs to my client. I'm just doing the case for him. I'll charge about $40.
@TheHorse Oh I see! He is putting some expensive amplifiers inside afterwards. :)
@Platespinner (13212)
I get "back in the saddle" tomorrow. Life is about to get busy again.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'm glad I get to "ease"into things. My class at the College doesn't start until January 25.
@TheHorse My university student has been doing a "winter" class which has been entirely online and will be done by the end of the month, he'll be starting an internship on the 16th. My college student will be resuming classes on the 16th. The rest of us will be back to routine as of tomorrow. We could have resumed our homeschooling today, but I decided that an extra day off wouldn't hurt.
I am back to work tomorrow morning.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Are you looking forward to it?
@TheHorse in a way yes but in a way no lol
back in the saddle and terrified I am about to go flying off
• Pleasant Hill, California
Flying off into a ditch? Just remember that it's a joint venture. The horse loves you as much as you do the horse.
My son is heading back to his house tomorrow. Classes resume on Monday.
• Pleasant Hill, California
And another Holiday becomes a memory...I actually just saw my afternoon kid client, and it reminded me of why I enjoy what I do. What I did this afternoon, all with an ADHD 8-year-old kid: shot hoops, scootered around his neighborhood, worked on a 100 piece puzzle (we didn't finish it), learned how to fly one of those little remote controlled helicopters around his living room, saw where he put the little trees we made together, got a hug as I was leaving. A part of me wishes break could have lasted longer, but a part of me is glad to be back in the saddle.
I unfortunately am on break UNTIL someone needs catering since the counseling end of my job, does not have any new clients for me to help, yet . . . You'll do a great job on those speakers as you always do and have a great year 2017 !
• Pleasant Hill, California
Thank you! I'm boiling up some water right now.
I am retired so I guess you could say Im on a permanent break loi] so I mylot a lot lol
• Pleasant Hill, California
I MyLot when I get a break from life. I make that be as often as possible.