Beavers in Arizona

Beavers help restore and maintain rivers. Pixabay image
January 4, 2017 I live in Oregon, which calls itself "The Beaver State". I've seen the wonderful restorative things that happen when beavers occupy the landscape, and the consequences of removing beavers from areas where their dams, and the subsequent flooding, is considered a nuisance. Yesterday, I was cyber-wandering around in southern Arizona and came across an article about the restoration efforts aimed at the San Pedro river in the area around Tucson. It seems that the San Pedro has been drying up in recent years after beavers were driven out. But now they've been brought back and the river is beginning to flourish again. I never imagined beavers living in such a hot, arid climate, but it seems they do. The lesson? Don't mess around with Mother Nature! Also, the beavers are our friends. Do you have beavers working the rivers where you live?
TUCSON — A glassy pond reflects the brilliant orange clouds of sunset over the San Pedro River. As the light fades, a hungry beaver emerges from its lodge, intent on
Beavers reminds me of this movie (by the way, it's a terrible one ).
I think it must be those TEETH! Eeeek!
@blitzfrick The movie is really bad, but at least is kinda funny.
@TheInvisibleMan Those campy movies are fun to watch now and then.
@Plethos (4847)
No beavers here in the lower desert of california, but there are a few raccoons out here.
Keep an eye out, they migrate.
@Plethos (4847)
@blitzfrick - around here they seem to stay near the outskirts of towns and the 2 small lakes
@Plethos um, raccoons or beavers? The beavers in AZ have spread to other AZ riparian areas.
Yes we have lots of beavers in our area. The beaver is actually a national symbol of Canada.
I like Canada more all the time.
No we have no beavers here, I admire those cute animals.
I like how energetic and industrious they are. Also, those dams! What a marvel.
@blitzfrick I know that they can create serious problems with their dams, but it's incredible how good builders they are.
@LadyDuck I saw a tv program about managing beavers where the rangers used recorded beaver sounds to lure the critters away from areas where the flooding would be detrimental. I thought that was pretty smart.
@fishtiger58 (30284)
• Momence, Illinois
I live south of Chicago and yes we have many beavers in the area. They are good for river systems, and maybe someday man will realize that.
Yes, and let's hope that wo/man will be perpetually in charge of things.
@fishtiger58 (30284)
• Momence, Illinois
@blitzfrick I think that would be a great idea.
This is wonderful news. Humans need to realize that wildlife often is a plus to an environment rather than a hindrance. Hooray for those beavers!!
I've heard that when wolves were reintroduced into Yellowstone national park, the ecosystem became more balanced. Who knows what's going to happen here under a Trump administration, though? I don't think he's appointing eco-friendly people to his cabinet.
@blitzfrick All we can do is wait and see, and hope!
@Fleura (5642)
There haven't been wild beavers left in Britain since the middle ages but there have been some reintroductions recently and they are thriving.
I was surprised about their presence in Arizona. I guess they're a world-class mammal
We have a mommy beaver and her young in a pond across the street from us. They are fun to watch.
We play with fire (in all sense of the word) when we mess with Mother Nature. This is a nice story.
As you say, Mother Nature knows what she's doing. As Fleur says below, I think there is an attempt to bring beavers back to England.
aww such cute animals that some people believe are just an nuisance -- have a wonderful new year and thanks for the article