I Don't Much Care for Crow

Winston Salem, North Carolina
Since the beginning of 2017 I haven’t started very many discussions. It isn’t because I’m lazy, it isn’t because there is nothing interesting going on in my life. It’s not even because I have been too busy to spend anytime here (though I am definitely not suffering from boredom). There’s another reason why I haven’t posted (and in all honesty it is a significant factor in why I generally avoid posting rants here as well): I don’t like “eating crow.” “Eating crow is an American colloquial idiom, meaning humiliation by admitting wrongness or having been proven wrong after taking a strong position. Crow is presumably foul-tasting in the same way that being proven wrong might be emotionally hard to swallow.” -- Quoted directly from Wikipedia 2017 has the potential of being a major pivot point in my life. I have been a stay-at-home mom for the past 18 years, and 17 of those years have been occupied with homeschooling my children. Three of my children have moved on to other pursuits and the fourth is not far behind. It is time for me to decide what I want to do when I grow up. I’ve made a few New Years resolutions and I’m making plans for the next twelve months. However, I prefer not to share the details at the moment, there are too many variables that I can’t control, and I’d rather not announce that I am going to do thus-and-such, only to have my plans come crashing down around my ears. I can cope with failure, however I definitely prefer to avoid public humiliation. Sorting through my old discussions a few days ago, I was pleased to note that I managed to avoid posting anything that would give me cause for regret and I hope to keep it that way this year. When you post a new discussion, to you take a moment to consider whether or not you might have to eat those words at some point in the future?
@1creekgirl (10163)
Not sure if I thought about it, but you have a good point there. Best wishes on growing up. I sometimes wonder if I ever will and I'm running out of years!
I suspect that, while I may make reasonably responsible choices, I will never truly "grow up."
@DWDavis (10774)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@1creekgirl, You know the rule of 50, don't you? If you make it go 50 without growing up, you don't have to.
@DWDavis So I've just got to hold out for another couple of years. Hmmm...the youngest doesn't actually graduate until I'm past the 50 mark. I guess that means I don't ever have to grow up. You just made my day! Thank you!
@UncleJoe (9740)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
LOL I have eaten so much crow that I have feathers growing on my rear-end.
I've eaten my fair share, and I'm sure that will continue as long as I'm on this side of the dirt. At least when I write I have the opportunity to review my words before I stick them on here for the whole world to see.
@AunBecky (143)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
lol
• Pleasant Hill, California
Nah, I am pretty "straight" and wish I could be a bit more "racy" or "controversial." When I talk about my love of cannibalism, people know I'm kidding. I'll have to figure out how to be more "edgy."
You might have to change your name. I think everyone who reads your discussions with any regularity knows that you're a softy at heart.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Eating crow isn't an issue for me, as I'm rarely wrong.
My kids will tell you that "Mom is always right, except when she's not, and then we don't talk about it."
• Eugene, Oregon
Ohhhh, @TheHorse! I heard you thought you were wrong once, but it was a mistake.
I don't think I've had to eat too many words. Like you, I'm pretty careful about what I post. Public humiliation, as you put it is so.... humiliating! I have been misunderstood a couple of times so I try to be as clear as possible now. And good luck with your decision-making. You deserve some time to do what pleases you.
Thanks. There have been a lot of posts that I have written and then thought better of posting.
Certain things should be kept personal and for everyone, they can vary. I try not to over think my posts, but I also try not to post without thinking. It is a fine line.
It is a fine line, and it's a problem that I see on all the social media sites I spend time on.
@Morleyhunt (19720)
I try not to post something I will regret. I've written many posts that were deleted rather than submitted. Similarly I have written long responses.....then decided in the interest of harmony, they would probably cause offence. Delete. Then there is the issue of family reading my discussions and my comments. I will keep my mouth closed, my pen capped and I'll sit on my hands.
Yep, that pretty much sums it up. You'd think we were related or something. Hmm....would you be posting about me if I didn't frequent this place myself? Personally, I would like to think that if I am being an idiot that you would tell me so--I tend to be a bit obtuse when it comes to hints.
@Morleyhunt (19720)
@Platespinner I tend to call a spade a spade. You know I would call you out if you were bein an idiot. I did see I was blamed for something yesterday.
@Morleyhunt I'm impressed that you caught that one, especially since I didn't tag you in the comment. Now I know, you read EVERYTHING I write on here .
@Mike197602 (13367)
• Worcester, England
I don't post many discussions. But if I did I'd say what I wanted to say and if things go wrong or a fact I've stated is proven wrong that is fine with me. I don't see it as public humiliation I see it as a learning process Also, if you ever do post something you regret you can delete it and neither you nor any responders will lose out financially.
Even though we can delete here, I firmly believe that we can never truly unsay anything. I've taken the "eating crow" and applied it fairly loosely. I would prefer to not announce that I am going to do something and then not follow through.
@Mike197602 (13367)
• Worcester, England
@Platespinner each to their own I suppose. For me I'd maybe post a discussion on something and if it didn't go right I'd post another on the reasons why none of us are perfect and I very much doubt people will judge on here as we've all had things go wrong.
@Mike197602 I think you're misunderstanding me. You choose not to start many discussions here, so clearly you don't post every thought on this site. I prefer to ponder things for a while before committing myself. I've also learned through experience that if I state "I will always...." or "I will NEVER...." that something will happen to make me eat those words. As a result I try to avoid couching things in those terms. As far as perfection is concerned some of us like to pretend that we've got it all together .
@fishtiger58 (30346)
• Momence, Illinois
I tend to keep my most personal thoughts to myself. I will say things that are my opinion and mention they are my opinions, but it's usually not a life altering subject if I can possibly help it. I too am not horribly fond of public humiliation.
Even without the possibility of public humiliation I think being careful of what we post for the whole world to see is something that isn't as common as it ought to be. I read a lot on Facebook, and here as well, that makes me cringe.
@fishtiger58 (30346)
• Momence, Illinois
@Platespinner I know what you mean. Some folks don't care what they post.
I never post anything of that sort so I don't have to worry.
Wise woman! I've started writing many posts that I then thought better of. I figure it's better to have second thoughts before I post for the whole world to see.
@Platespinner Yes, it's always better to think things through.
• Peoria, Arizona
I like to be proven wrong at times. Sure I may get red in the face but it doesn't bug me one bit. Also, if I have goals that I can never uphold, I make sure that I at least try to do something even if I fail. At least failure is an outcome instead of not doing anything at all!
@Mike197602 (13367)
• Worcester, England
I think the same thing
I don't mind being proven wrong, And I wasn't saying anything about not trying, I just don't see any value in posting every thought that passes through my head (I have had some really, really DUMB great ideas over the years).
@IreneVincent (16026)
Wow! 18 years of homeschooling your children. I home schooled my youngest child. My granddaughter is homeschooling her three children. There is a lot of time and effort involved in homeschooling, so you have much to be proud of. Whatever you plan to do, going forward, I hope you have success. I'm retired now and have published my first novel recently. I'm working on a couple other projects and enjoying my FREE time.
My husband hopes to retire in 15 years, and I'd like to do my part to add to the kitty so we can enjoy our retirement. However, I don't want to work a 40 hour work week, work the traditional 9-5 or be a cubicle rat. Been there done that and would rather not do it again. I'm hoping to find a way of earning an income that I can enjoy.
I certainly try not to post anything that would make me eat a crow. Ick! Lol!
Definitely ick!
• Bournemouth, England
A really well-written discussion that was a pleasure to read. My discussions are few and carefully considered beforehand. I think it's probably easier to post something as a response or comment that might end up coming back to bite me on the backside! It's a much quicker process.
There have been quite a few comments that I have had the sense to delete before posting.
Lucky me, I rarely write anything that could bite me in the butt in the future.
That's the tack I'm taking. I've started writing several posts over the past couple of days that have either been deleted or relegated to my personal files.
I wouldn't want to eat crow either. But trying something and then deciding to go another way would not, in my opinion, be failing in any way. I have had many jobs! They all benefitted me in some way.
You're right, it isn't really failing. I just don't wish to proclaim "I am going to do thus and such" and then end up not doing it. Right now my biggest problem is probably time management...
@Platespinner Time management or just procrastination is my perpetual problem
@Gillygirl (17277)
• Sutton, England
Ive never heard the expression eating crow before. I shall use this expression on my husband. He spent time in the USA but I bet he won't know what I'm on about. I am careful in what I post and prefer not to rant.
I'm curious as to whether he recognized the expression.
@Gillygirl (17277)
• Sutton, England
@Platespinner I haven't asked him yet but will do so today lol
@valmnz (12770)
• New Zealand
I know exactly what you're saying. I also prefer to not write about things that are not working in my life, I keep my personal woes to myself. Good luck with your hopes and dreams for the year.
Thanks Val. I'm sure I'll end up writing about it eventually, right now though, it needs some time to stew.
@valmnz (12770)
• New Zealand
@xFiacre (4374)
@platespinner If my words were high in calories I'd be obese with having to eat so many of them.
@SAM774 (3717)
Well havent post that sort.... maybe since i am new to mylot [em]lol[/em.... but i was not aware about the idiom "Eating crow " thank you for that