A New Lease of Life for My Tablet

free image from Pixabay
By Val
@valmnz (12573)
New Zealand
When I first got my tablet three years ago, a Microsoft Surface RT, I used it a lot, for all sorts of things. Slowly it became heavy and slow, crowded with all that I was expecting from it. In spite of removing most of the things I could, it still was a reluctant participant in my online life. Enter my Mr Fix-it man, my son. He decided to revitalise the tablet, returning it to its original state. And now it's working well again. I have lost a few things I really didn't need, but that's okay. Also, some of the apps I more commonly used, have been updated since I first installed them, so now it's a bit like learning to use it all over again. But at least it now does the things I want it to do again. Thank heavens for technologically minded sons.
@Madshadi (3337)
• Brussels, Belgium
I had it two years ago. Its a nice device. When it started to get slow I sold it for a cheap price and bought the new Surface (back then). But I broke it last month and bought myself a cheap Samsung tablet.
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
I was beginning to think i'd have to buy a new tablet, so he has saved me money.
@Madshadi (3337)
• Brussels, Belgium
@valmnz The only thing that I didn't like about Surface rt was that the only browser is internet explorer, which I find irritating
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
@Madshadi mine keeps asking me to download chrome but I haven't had room to do so.
All it takes is rebooting! Glad it's working better now.
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
And believe me, so am I!
@valmnz It's 2017 and the new year just started, everybody needs rebooting! Happy new year!
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
@toniganzon ha, ha, I like your attitude! Happy new year to you too
mine wont hold a charge, think the battery is toast
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
They do have a limited life, don't they!
@valmnz it seems like it yeah
It's actually the apps we keep uploading that slows a tablet and even the phone . That's why , i only have the most useful app on my phone and iPad .
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
Yes, but even after I removed them nothing improved. Never mind, it is working again for now and I know what to do if / when it happens again.
@valmnz At least now , you know what to do when that happens.
@cahaya1983 (8213)
Happy to hear that you got it fixed. There's always that advantage of having tech-savvy family members, saves you the cost of repairing it at the store too!
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
And now he's just repaired his own PC. All that stuff is beyond me!
@valmnz Haha yeah nowadays lots of things can be self-taught, there's a YouTube tutorial about almost everything!
My grandson is becoming a Mr. Fix it. Sure is nice.
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
It's certainly good when family save us money.
@valmnz ......Yes, it is.
• Portland, Connecticut
Yes in my case it is my son in law and he is very handy when it comes to technology.
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
What would we do without them!
• Portland, Connecticut
@valmnz lol Call the Geek Squad I guess!!
I just use mine while I'm watching TV - I find typing on a tablet is like typing with gloves on!
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
things work differently for everyone, don't they
@valmnz since typing was my job for 35 years I prefer s real keyboard.
We would be lost without our son too. We just wait until he stops by for a visit and have him fix all that we cannot. He also towers over us, his height a gift from some relative back in the day, so we have him retrieve things we need that are out of our reach.
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
Yes, when ours is here we have him do all sorts of things too!
I have no tablet.It seems that Your son excels at tablet and computer and rejuvenating your tablet comes easily to him.
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
Fixing such things comes naturally to him!
@DWDavis (11147)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Hoorah for your son being able to give your old tablet new life. It does sometimes feel that just about the time we get comfortable with a piece of tech it seems like it becomes outdated. Glad you are able to continue using your tablet with its renewed vigor.
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
... until next time
Our sons come to our rescue quite often too. They make it seem so easy.
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
He'd never worked with a Surface before, so it was an interesting challenge for him!
@epiffanie (8342)
I might have to do that with my iPad ..
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
I'm rather pleased.
@Platespinner (18072)
I hear you on the tech minded sons. If my 20 year old ever moves away I'm going to be in trouble. He has replaced screens for me, debugged devices and generally kept my technology functioning for me.
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
Makes everything else worthwhile
@xFiacre (10384)
@valmnz If only they would speak slowly and in layman's terms when helping out their ancestors it would be much more helpful.
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
Oh ours is very patient with me!
Those are the kind of sons to have around for us older generation parents who don't know the first thing about getting it to work the way we want it to.
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
I agree. I can fix a lot of things, but when it comes to removing and reinstalling i'd rather leave it to someone who knows what they're doing.
@sallypup (20702)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Good going, son.
@valmnz (12573)
• New Zealand
They have their uses
• Midland, Michigan
My tablet keeps telling me it may quit working for I have too much on it supposedly. I did buy an external disk hoping to transfer some things over to it, but haven't figured out how to do that yet. I may have to go into verizon to get their help and I may find that's not how it works anyway. I just eliminated a lot of the apps I downloaded which means that I need to do more on my desktop at home than while I'm away from home.
My son is my go to person for all technology issues. Too bad he's over 1400 miles away now. You are lucky to have your son help out like that