At what point do you "be kind and rewind"?

@FayeHazel (18027)
At what point to you abandon a movie?   I am a big fan of not watching things all the way through if I'm not enjoying them.  Perhaps this is due to my parents (rather my dad's habit) of watching movies as I was growing up.  The habit was to watch a movie after supper.  Which is something I still enjoy.  However my dad became a big fan of the $ cheap bin of movies at local stores.  Why spend 3 times more for a movie you actually like, when you can pay 3 times less for something, even though you may not like it - I'm pretty sure that was his thought process at the time.  Not to be too harsh - these were the years when dvds were new technology - and a deal is a deal.  However he would buy huge armfuls.  I am not sure that he actually read the backs of boxes - or if he was just looking at pictures.  I must give him credit, sometimes some of those movies were pretty good, some hidden gems.  Sometimes I could hardly stand them.  (Leaving the room was not an option as it was considered rude - I remember many a time staring at the clock counting down the time until the movie would be done, cringing when we'd have to pause it because someone wanted to leave the room.)  But most of the time I would say they were mildly boring.  Not bad, some interesting stuff in there.  That said - as an adult, out on my own who is now allowed to "pick the movie" -- I will abandon movies if I'm not enjoying them.  Boredom seems to be the key -- if there is nothing that interests me happening I will hang in there for awhile... still nothing interesting I will either leave it on for background noise and do something else, or I will take it out and put something different in.  That said  this happens very rarely because I think I do a pretty good job of picking movies that I will enjoy.  Photo: Mine
I think I'm mostly too curious not to see a film out to the end. Maybe I am the eternal optimist and hope it will turn out okay in the end. I think yours is the better way though. :)
@FayeHazel (18027)
I say 3 sheers for the optimists :-)
@silvermist (20100)
@FayeHazel I usually try to watch the movie in full-- even if I do not like it.
@FayeHazel (18027)
Making the attempt to watch is worth a lot
@silvermist (20100)
@FayeHazel Yes it is.
• Eugene, Oregon
I am pretty careful in choosing movies and generally know I will like them. One recent failure was the James Bond movie "Spectre," Daniel Craig playing Bond. It was on the level of a comic book and Craig is no James Bond to me. We did finish it, but I would have turned it off if Anne had not wanted to finish it. I did some myLotting.
@FayeHazel (18027)
Ah - my friend loves that "Spectre" movie - I've never seen it. I think it's great when couple's can work compromises like that. :-)
• Eugene, Oregon
@FayeHazel We do pretty well that way. I can always myLot.
@Gina145 (4004)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
I don't often abandon a movie, but when I do it doesn't usually take long for me to realise that I hate it.
@FayeHazel (18027)
No sense watching something you don't like
@Gina145 (4004)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@FayeHazel Agreed. The day after reading this I abandoned one half way through. Perhaps this post influenced me to do the sensible thing.
@akalinus (15752)
I don't watch a lot of movies but I do the same thing with youtube videos. If I don't like it, I turn it off in the middle. Then I put something else on.
@FayeHazel (18027)
YouTube I find very challenging to find something that keeps my interest
@akalinus (15752)
@FayeHazel Sometimes the titles promise things they don't deliver. For example, the secrets hidden by a TV show or movie. The secrets turn out to be a cast of characters who played the parts. No secret at all.
@ms1864 (6986)
• Bangalore, India
wow...we never had the rule to sit through something if we didn't enjoy it. ...i remember just drifting out to my room or the computer. But yes...i don't watch a movie if i am bored half an hour in it. It mostly happens with movies that have been recommended to me by family and friends.
@FayeHazel (18027)
Ah yes... growing up things were somewhat strict. I know what you mean. It would seem that very few of my friends actually like the same sorts of movies as I do
@cahaya1983 (10053)
Yeah I'd just stop watching if it gets too boring or not what I expected. Nowadays I would usually check the IMDB ratings and reviews first before watching any movie, so that I wouldn't waste my time watching a bad movie.
@FayeHazel (18027)
Checking the ratings is actually something I hadn't thought of... good one
I won't watch if it's really boring either or sucks and, also often get movies from the bin, because quite frankly you can get 4 for the price of one lol.
@FayeHazel (18027)
True, that - though I have had issues with said bin ... some good stuff in there tho too
@bunnybon7 (36529)
• Holiday, Florida
i am quite the same. sorry to say but thats a strange dad..lol making everyone watch
@FayeHazel (18027)
No need to apologize, it's true. :-) Love him dearly but he had some really odd ways of doing things at times.
I need to pick up a cheap DVD rewinder
@FayeHazel (18027)
Lol. Ah I used to love those vhs rewinders, they were supposed to take it easier on your vhs player....
@1hopefulman (28534)
When we watched movies on tv and there was nothing else to watch I'd watch a movie till the end and hope that something interesting would happen. On Netflix, if it it seems that it is going nowhere, I look for something else.
@Orson_Kart (4353)
I like to check out the reviews and ratings on IMDb before watching a movie. However, sometimes I don't agree with IMDb and a 7.6 on IMDb can be a turkey rating of 1.0 on the OKDb scale.