Baby it's cold outside

Even the penguins are bundled. Pixabay image.
January 5, 2017 A stack of books from the senior center now sits on my coffee table, calling my name, the fridge has snacky stuff in it, and little nooks and crannies of my shopping list have been filled. Bills have been paid. Donations are ensconced at the Goodwill. The trash is out, the mail is in. Who is the good Samaritan who took care of all that for me? Well, there were three: me, myself and I. Yes I went out into the windy cold wastes of the north today to take care of those chores and errands before the truly nasty weather stuff arrives this weekend. Wind chill in the 20s today, and true temps in the teens tonight. A neighbor caught me as I was bringing in the mail—mail which included three DVDs from netflix, by the way, ah...more reason to stay inside snuggled under my comforter on the couch. Hola, Carol! she says, walking toward me. She looks dressed to go skiing: furry hat, mittens, fuzz-lined boots, ski pants tucked in. The wind blows through my bluejeans and thin top, even though I'm wearing a sweater, hat, scarf and coat. I say Hola back, gritting my teeth against the cold. Where have you been? Have you been sick? We are wondering about you, she grills me as I lean toward my front door. Is it the cold that makes her so chatty? No, she's just a nice person asking after my health. We talk for a few minutes and I finally make it into my livingroom. I feel half frozen. My toes are numb. My nose is numb. My clothes are cold. I peel off the cold outer layers; I was wearing four total, now just three. I stand an inch from my space heater. I begin to feel again, toes, fingers, nose. This human female is not constructed for this kind of winter, I declare to myself. There may not be three feet of snow out there, but baby, it's cold outside.
@PainsOnSlate (18695)
I went to the Y for my daily exercise and had to go back to make sure I put my handicap parking sign in the window of my car. I was so cold my teeth were chattering and a car slowed and I waved and kept walking because I was freezing when he or she tapped on her horn and pointed to the ground, I dropped my car keys, my hands so cold I couldn't feel them.... I hate winter. I am here in Canada waiting for my doctor to schedule my surgery for a new knee, I get to call him on the 10th, if there is no appointment for the surgery I'm heading south... I'll get it done later in the year... I know exactly what you were talking about....
I postponed my cataract surgery until spring, laid down the law to the doc. I'm glad I'm not in Canada, where you are. I liked this weather 30 years ago. I was young and tough then, and had a boyfriend to impress.
@stbrians (11834)
• Kakamega, Kenya
It is morning here and am mylotting in bed. Thank you for doing those chores
@atoz1to10 (6899)
Aren't you lucky... Hope you have a great day.. :)
You are quite welcome! Mylotting in bed sounds wonderful.
@stbrians (11834)
• Kakamega, Kenya
@atoz1to10 A very great one and you?
Cold!
Since you're invisible I guess the cold doesn't affect you. Lucky!
@blitzfrick Haha... Good point!
Best to stay inside where it is warm on bitterly cold days. You did get lots accomplished today though.
I really did, but I sort of had to. My fridge was nearly empty, the bills demanded to be paid, and since I had to be out in it anyway I did a couple of other things. It was so cold I got distracted by it though. Got to the grocery store and "discovered" I'd "forgotten" my list, came all the way back home and found the list in my coat pocket. Missed my turn to the Goodwill and had to go another few blocks, turn around and go back. I can't tell you how glad I was to finally get home to stay. Then the neighbor caught me outside! Argh.
@blitzfrick lol just one of those days.
@Happy2BeMe LOL! Actually a bit better than "one of those days". Most of my woes are self-inflicted, generally.
@rina110383 (21980)
Same here, it's a bit cold outside.
Feels like the New Ice Age is very nearby.
@carebear29 (24795)
• Wausau, Wisconsin
It has been freezing here. I am ready for the warmth again
You and me both!
@atoz1to10 (6899)
The weather outside for me is opposite to your one, it is very very hot right now. :)
Keep the porch light on, I'll be there as soon as I can!
You certainly were busy today! I can't take that type of cold anymore and am thrilled to be in Florida right now.
I'm bordering on my limits for cold weather this year. Getting very close to moving to warmer climes.
@blitzfrick Florida is gorgeous! A blizzard made up my mind.
• Pleasant Hill, California
It's Springish here in CA. Where you been?
It's mid-May and I just found your comment I went to AZ in search of warmth, but took 50° weather and rain with me. It was warmer than Portland, but not warm enough for short sleeves. Then after I got back it took me awhile to get back into the swing of things. Your comment is dated mid-March!
That is A LOT of clothes to be wearing. Even on our coldest winter's day we wouldn't need four layers. I'm feeling lucky not to know such cold. :)
It's just me, I think. I saw people out who didn't look so layered up.
I am glad you are all set to be cozy inside.
Thank you. Me too!
We didn't get all the snow but it's been super cold here.
I guess I shouldn't complain. Folks east of the mountains are really getting blasted with it, some temps are below zero over there.