I woke up with a big cramp.

Chile
I usually have little or bigger cramps when I wake up every morning. I am way past the time when I blamed it on potassium or ate a banana or some supplements. I think now that it is part of being older and I accept it. But today it was a big one and it won´t go away. And I have a lot of things to do. Tomorrow I am having a barbecue at my home with my whole adopted family. They are my best friends, their daughters with theirspouses and the grandkids. I want it to be a good occation, but sometimes the cramp pain lasts over a day. I´m pacing barefooted to see if that will help. Do you have cramps? What do you do about them?
I get cramps in my legs sometimes that wake me up but I have never really taken anything for them. I just try to walk them off or massage it to help relieve it. It usually doesn't last very long though. Where are you having cramps?
I´m doing that. It is usually enough, but this one is a big one and I have to do a lot of things for tomorrow.
@marguicha I hope you get some relief from it soon. Have you tried a heating pad? That may work
@Happy2BeMe Leticia just came. I´ll ask for help as soon as we have breakfast.
I get cramps but when I walk around they go away. I am advised to drink a lot of water and have some magnesium supplements.
I always (and I mean always) every morning just before I get up.
@marguicha There is also the circulation problem which seniors go through and this too will ease once movement is there. You should walk around a bit and do some stretching.
@allknowing I have walked as I have to get things done for tomorrow.
• Pamplona, Spain
Press gently into the back of the leg concerned and right in the middle of it. But do it gently. It might just work. It worked for me and I breathe deeply too as calmly as I can as its a horrible pain too. If not a weird tip is hold your right index finger for about then minutes that also takes it off. Not right away but it does shift it.
The cramp is not there, but the pain is still hurting.
• Pamplona, Spain
@marguicha I am not surprised we are short of magnesium at all. Now there are loads of tablets you can take to remedy it too.
@lovinangelsinstead21 Probably. I´ll ask a doctor when I get back from vacations.
@blitzfrick (2912)
I have also heard that magnesium helps with muscle cramps. Also, doing a few stretches throughout the day may help. (I'm assuming these are leg cramps.) Yes a cramp may go away but the soreness will remain. Have you mentioned these cramps to your doctor?
The cramp went away, but, as you say, the soreness is still here. My doctor is aware that I will have several problems that are side effects to chemotherapy. I just have to thank I´m here.
@marguicha Nevertheless, minimizing your pain can't help either, can it?
I woke up with a cramp in my food, but it worked itself out. My husband used to have cramps but that was caused by dehydration. I think drinking a lot of water helps reduce cramps.
THe bigger ones I get (like this one) leave a pain that takes some days to calm down
I drink a great big glass of water, being dehydrated is a major cause of cramps so maybe give that a try if it happens again?
I drink lots of water.
@funkeyguhl (1743)
Before I did... every night and I don't understand why. I was told I lack fluids in my system so what I do now, I drink lots of water and fruits!
I drink a lot of water.
@marguicha I see. I guess it's not the same as mine. Did you pay your doctor a visit? Maybe he / she can tell you the reason for the cramping?
@funkeyguhl I already have too many doctors. I will check on a reumatologist when other things under control.
@dodo19 (32909)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
Cramps can be really painful. I'm sorry that you had one and had to deal with it. Hopefully, it doesn't happen again.
It happens often. But not so big.
@dodo19 (32909)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@marguicha sorry to hear that.
@stbrians (15193)
• Kakamega, Kenya
Just what you are doing. It will go away. Do you sleep on one side?
The cramp went away but the pain stayed
@stbrians (15193)
• Kakamega, Kenya
@marguicha Massage with linment and you will be alright
@stbrians I will see what I have around.
Does it help to massage the leg? Or put ice or heat on it?
I had todo some things. Couln´t do either
I don't believe I've ever had a cramp such as yours. Everyone gave you such wonderful advice. Perhaps you should call your doctor if it doesn't go away quickly.
I have not had cramps all my life. But age and illness have changed many things in my body. And I have to accept it. My doctors treat my biggest problems; they don´t bother about the small ones.
@nanette64 (17612)
• Fairfield, Texas
I've had leg and feet cramps since I was a teenager @marguicha . Fondly what I call 'charlie-horses'. Painful buggers for sure. Usually that's a sign of low Iron in the blood.
Maybe. Butin my case there are many reasons to have them.
Oh no. I hope it passes quickly.
I need to be well tomorrow for the barbecue
@zebra2222 (5161)
I get cramps occasionally. They are not pleasant.
@velvet53 (16623)
• Palisade, Colorado
I do get leg cramps and I just try to massage them out.