Well, I Am Not Doing This Again!

Apparently, sending a photo of a mass of vintage marbles all mixed together does not make it easy for an appraiser to determine the condition of the vintage marbles. The appraiser sent me an email asking the following: "Many of these have value but it will depend on condition. Can you send me some closer group shots/views? I really can't tell from this shot. Thanks." So, I grouped the vintage marbles into like groups to the best of my ability and took "closer group shots." I did run my fingers over each marble to determine which ones happen to be "mint." Not a nick, scratch or crack on the majority of the marbles turned out to be a good thing for me. I removed three groups of marbles at a time from their containers, placed those three groups, with space in between groups, on a piece of dark-blue material and took a photo of the three groups on the material. I do not intend on taking any more shots of those marbles, so the shots I took had better be good enough. If the "closer group shots" are not what the appraiser wants, I am taking the darn things to an antique shop and be done with them.
It's like taking photos of coins. Buyers become very particular about what they want.
Yes, the group photos really do show the condition, but I am so over marbles right now. I was getting bleary-eyed sorting them.
@Corbin5 Hopefully all your hard work will be compensated by fabulous prizes. :)
@moffittjc (44459)
• Gainesville, Florida
Wow, that is a lot of work! But I can understand from the appraisers point of view the need to get the best look at those marbles as possible. I hope the effort you put in pays off in the end.
Well, after a while, I was having trouble determining which marble went in which cup. Kind of marbled-out after a while.
@moffittjc (44459)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Corbin5 Yeah, I can imagine it would get tiring after a while. At some point, everything probably started looking the same to you!
@moffittjc They did!!!
Hope that it works this time.
Me too! I am so over marbles.
• Eugene, Oregon
But this is a case where patience might be handsomely rewarded.
That would be nice. I do have two hand-blown marbles and each has a tiny indentation in which the glass pipe was inserted. Not sure how old those happen to be. The clay marbles, interestingly enough, are not worth much at all, according to my research, but they are cool.
Nice looking marbles. I remember as a child enjoying getting a bag of marbles just to go through them and see all the different colors. Of course not vintage just regular marbles.
I am amazed at how beautiful some of the marbles happen to be. Not a single one is exactly like the other.
Does the appraiser have a local spot you can take it into?
Well, the appraiser said they are worth $150 to $200, which works for me, and I think he would buy them, but wonder if I should have an antique shop take a look too.
@Corbin5 wow that's amazing ! So how does it work? The transaction is done online ? I wonder how much local places take?
@infatuatedbby A very good question. I have no idea. If the appraiser wants to buy them, he will have to tell me how it works. I suppose the payment could be sent to PayPal, but I do not know how one does that either. And, of course, I do not know how much shipping would be. I will take them to the antique store here and see if they will buy them.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
LOL I think I would lose my marbles sorting that lot out. I hope the shots will be good enough and that you get offered a good price for them.
Well, the appraiser said the lot is worth $150 to $200. Now, I am not sure how to go about selling them, but will research that.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
@Corbin5 There is Ebay but they take 10% of sale price then Paypal also take 10%. There must be other markets.
@Gillygirl I think I will take them to the antique store here and see if their appraisal matches the appraiser online. If the appraiser wants them for the price he stated, I am good.
@katsmeow1213 (29047)
What a pain.. I'd have probably just gone to the antique shop myself.. I don't like to fuss over stuff like that.
I just want to be rid of them. The appraiser said $150 to $200 for all. I will go to the antique shop and see if they can come close to that. Having to ship them would be a pain.
@Corbin5 That's not bad.. more money in your pocket. I have some old dishes on the porch, hubby thinks we can get something for them. I have to clean them first.. I haven't gotten around to it.
Be patient with these. Appraisers are very detail-oriented. Hopefully, these marbles are worth a lot.
Well, the appraiser valued them at $150 to $200 for all. That sounds good to me, but perhaps I should take them to our local antique shop to get one more appraisal.
@Corbin5 yeah, getting a second opinion is a good idea. You don't want to be short-changed and leave money on the table. $150 to $200 ain't bad at all but perhaps you could get more for those so I say go for it! Good luck in making a sale.
Hopefully you will hear something soon.
The appraiser said the bunch of marbles are worth $150 to $200 and that most are from the 1930s. Not bad.
Hopefully he will be happy with it. I would take them too if he's not satisfied this time. I don't think we have any marbles anymore as they may of been thrown out.
Well, he appraised them at $150 to $200 for the whole bunch. I told him that sounded fair to me since I don't intend to run all over the place trying to find a better deal. I just want them gone.
@hostessman (9755)
• Tucson, Arizona
where did you get them, and have you had then a long time.. very pretty
The marbles belong to my dad, age 95, and my grandfather's marbles are in the bunch too. No one in the family wants them, nor do I, so selling them is the way to go for me.
@hereandthere (32437)
now they look like candy with a combination of flavors and i want to eat them!
I know. I bet little bitty kids would be tempted by those. Big choking hazard for sure.
They are so pretty.
I never paid attention to them, but was rather mesmerized by them. Not a single one is alike.
Marbles are so pretty. I'm not sure I'd know a vintage one from a contemporary one though!
Well, I do not the cat's eye marbles are not of value since they are too new. There are no cat's eyes in the ones I have, and the only way I knew they were old was due to the fact that my dad and grandfather played with them.
@fluffysue (1463)
Just don't lose your marbles! Sorry, somebody had to say it! Really, I wish you luck with that. Very pretty marbles. It might just be easier to take them than to have someone try to appraise them online.
Yes, if the appraiser offers a good price, then I will go with him. If it is too low, then will take the marbles to an antique dealer. Since my dad was born in 1921 and Grandfather in 1880 something, they are old, that is for sure. I have two hand-blown marbles, and those are of value.
appraiser are a big pain in the butt.If you have any idea what you want then go from there. Of course and he knows that most marbles if they been used.Are worn,chip,etc. Do you have any idea what you want for the price.Remember those Mason jars.One with filled with marbles at a price of 30 dollars. The most expensive are the big one with swirls design,or ay kind of design.Did you check e bay and see what kind of price that they are going for.go to e bay and search vintage marbles.Something you might learn. I still have a bag of them.Some clay ones also
Yes, I did check and the prices are different from each seller, but I think condition really does influence the price. I only have 3 clay ones, and I have 2 hand-blown ones, probably my grandfather's, and they each have a tiny hole where the stick was attached to the marble when it was being made. I just want an idea from the appraiser as to the value. I do have some of the marbles featured in the video that goes with this article:
Marbles are attractive and fun to play with. But some of your marbles might be worth something. Here are some tips on how to identify vintage marbles.
@PatZAnthony (12863)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Hope you can sell these to someone with appreciation for what they are! These would be fun to display in a clear jar in my kitchen.
There are so many folks out there who really are into vintage marbles. Not a single marble is like another. Always some detail on or in the marble that makes it unique.
I would imagine that they are asking for a close up shot of the marbles, so that they can see the pattern. Hopefully you can take them somewhere where they could help in person.
We have so many antique shops around here, so that will be my next step. It would be good to know their value in order to get a fair deal on them.