Protect your privacy : pictures are like ears, they need to be cleaned.

@topffer (34637)
France
When you take a photo with your smartphone, it can store in the EXIF data many information like the model of your phone but also the GPS location of your photo. If the picture was taken in your garden, anyone typing these data in Google Maps will get your complete address. I edited this afternoon a photo from an iPad posted upside down, and I realized that it was geolocated. I found 2 others in a few minutes posted on myLot today, one from an iPhone, and the other from a Canon EOS DSLR. Yes, some DSLR can have an internal GPS, they can even store in the EXIF data the unique serial number of the camera, and it makes easier for big internet companies or government agencies collecting EXIF data to track your Internet activity. Be careful when you post a photo of your cat or your dog here to not give also unwillingly your postal address. I would recommend you to download an app for your phone or a software for your computer to remove EXIF data before posting a picture online to protect your privacy, if you have not already one. You will find many by doing a Google search. I hope that this information is useful.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to: navigation, search This article is about a format for storing metadata in image and audio files. For information about filename and directory structures of digital cameras, see Design rule for Camera File syst
So you are saying you have wax buildup in your ears and they need to be cleaned, which is why you have not been hearing me call you all day?
@topffer (34637)
• France
Really ? I have not connected Skype today, you were supposed to send me a PM.
@topffer No, I was not calling you on the phone, silly. I have been waiting here in a sexy position on your couch all day calling out for you, but you have not acknowledged me! Now I am just yelling in pain from the cramping due to not moving.
@topffer (34637)
• France
@purplealabaster You are in my living room when I am waiting for you in your living room ? We really have to synchronize our watches.
Thanks very much for this information. It seems there are no end of traps out there in the world of technology.
@topffer (34637)
• France
Checking. You used cameras for the few pictures I have checked, not smartphones, so you are safe. The Nikon has GPS capabilities though.
@pgntwo (21761)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Geolocation data tagged onto a photo can be very revealing
@pgntwo (21761)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@topffer I was able to use a web-based EXIF tool to determine where the photo on the post below was taken, and mentioned it in the comments. I notice the new phone I got last week has an option to prevent photos from being geo-tagged, I might try that out for a while :)
After spending several days here in Malta, I suddenly realised that I had not bought any postcards. This is no doubt due to the fact that sending postcards lost...
@topffer (34637)
• France
@pgntwo Geotagging holiday photos can be interesting. And at least you found that it was really from Malta.
@pgntwo (21761)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@topffer True! As well as its content, I love the title of this post, very descriptive
@moffittjc (43998)
• Gainesville, Florida
This is great information to know. Thanks for sharing.
@topffer (34637)
• France
Thanks Jeff, I am quite surprised to have received 9 responses in a techie discussion like this one. I hope it will be useful.
@moffittjc (43998)
• Gainesville, Florida
@topffer I think this is one of those techie discussions that are going to catch a lot of people by surprise, and may even cause some alarm to a few people. Not many people realize how easy it is to unintentionally give out your personal information.
@topffer (34637)
• France
@moffittjc I was surprised to see that approximately 1/4 of the members posting personal pictures were posting them with GPS data, and I have been able to locate a garden, a cup and a cat in a few minutes, it is why I thought that it was important to start a discussion to warn about posting pictures from a smartphone.
Are you serious? I had no idea this could happen. I rarely post photos anyway, let alone from my phone, but still. I shall talk to my husband about this tonight . . . !!! And thank you for that info!!!
@topffer (34637)
• France
It is serious, I started this post after I noticed that many members were giving their address without knowing it when they were posting a photo. I do not know what kind of phone you have, but it happens more often for owners of Apple phones than for owners of Android phones, probably because the information about geolocalisation of pictures is better spread in the Android preferences menus.
@topffer I have an Android, but I rarely post anything from my phone including photos (I prefer my digital camera). I know I posted a photo from my phone last year when we went on a trip to Big Bear . . . I suppose that location would not have bothered me for the world to know. But a home address . . . that's quite scary!!
@topffer (34637)
• France
@much2say Geolocalisation may be good for holiday pictures to remember where you took a picture, but I would also not like to give my address when posting a photo of my cat.
• Pamplona, Spain
Got it and understood. Thanks very much for this information. I don´t upload photos from phones but from an ordinary Camera but this is good very good information for those people like my Sons that do do just that.
@topffer (34637)
• France
All smartphones have a GPS today. The geolocation can be switched off, and I did it on my phone. Maybe your son did the same.
• Pamplona, Spain
@topffer No, don´t think so that is why I will tell them both as soon as I can and their girlfriends too thank you again.
@1creekgirl (10678)
@topffer How do you switch off the geolocation?
Wow that seems crazy that all this information is stored on our photos! I have the location turned off on my photos so it should not be able to be looked up.
@topffer (34637)
• France
Checking. Yes, the photo of your bathed cat is completely anonymized I started this discussion because many members do not realize that they are giving their precise location when they are posting a picture of their cat or of their garden, and it might become a source of problems.
@topffer This is a very good post as I am sure many people do not know about the location being on their photos. I learned about that a few years ago. Thank you for checking and letting me know that my photo is anonymous.
@Brittnyrose (1457)
• Aberdeen, North Carolina
Wow I seriously did not know this. And I just uploaded a photo of my dog.
@topffer (34637)
• France
Checking it. The photo of your dog is safe, it does not include GPS data.
• Aberdeen, North Carolina
@topffer thanks alot
Oh this is frustrating. I need the GPS data for the photos I upload to some of my mystery shop reports. They want that information to verify I was at the right location. But for other purposes, I need to remove that information. Shoot. I should use my camera more I guess.
@topffer (34637)
• France
I understand that they want to control that you were in the right place when you do a mystery shop report. It can be interesting for holiday pictures too. You just need to install an app to remove EXIF data for the pictures you are posting here.
@topffer I will have to attempt to learn to do that. It sounds like quite a feat to me.
@Linda1234 (4769)
• Houston, Texas
Thank you shared this information with us.
@topffer (34637)
• France
When I noticed that several members were giving their GPS location, I thought that I should give a little warning, as it might be dangerous for their privacy.
@Linda1234 (4769)
• Houston, Texas
@topffer Thanks your good ideal.
I don't have a smart phone so that's one thing I don't have to watch out for. Might get one, but not very interested in one yet.
@topffer (34637)
• France
They are not that smart, especially when they do things like this without the knowledge of the owner. I like the GPS of my Android phone, it is really good, better than the car GPS that I had before it, but its camera is average and does not replace a true camera.
Nothing is safe anymore is it?
@topffer (34637)
• France
New technologies are full of traps.
@JESSY3236 (6758)
I had heard about this, but didn't know how to get rid of the info. Now I know.
@topffer (34637)
• France
Thank you. When I noticed that many members were posting photos with GPS data, I thought that a warning discussion would be useful:
@IreneVincent (16025)
I appreciate this information. I was not aware that posting a photo would give my address. I will be more careful in the future.
@topffer (34637)
• France
I found it by accident when I was rotating your photo, and then I realized that several members where doing the same, and that some information would be useful.
@Platespinner (16782)
The warning is appreciated, thanks! How does one tell if this information is attached to one's photos?
@topffer (34637)
• France
You need a software able to read EXIF data. Quite all photo editors can do it today. Some of your photos have GPS data, like the photo of the cup of tea you posted on January 1st. Address starts by 1729....
• Pamplona, Spain
Will pass this one on to my Sons and their Friends if they are interested. Would be very useful for a lot of people to know too.
@topffer (34637)
• France
I was surprised to find 3 photos with their GPS location in a few minutes, it is why I decided to post this warning. It might be interesting to have these data for holiday pictures, but posting a photo of a cat at home with the GPS location is like giving an address.