Bird-induced insomnia.

@xFiacre (10473)
Ireland
The first week of 2017 is spent and gone and by now we should be well used to living in a year with a new number. Nothing much has changed. Sleep is still in scarce supply for my weary bones and I'm left with not much to do at 4.30 this morning now that twittering birds outside my bedroom window have woken me. I do wish there was an all night café in the city that I could sneak out to. There I could sit, sup and read. There used to be a bar on the Ormeau Road in the 80s that you could get into any time after hours if you knew the password. Many a night I found myself dodging army patrols to sneak down a dark alley and knock gently on a big reinforced door and say "It's  Claire Duffy from up the road" to gain admittance. Sadly I'm no longer in the know as far as such things go and the first café in Belfast to open of a Sunday morning doesn't do so till 8 o'clock.
There are lots of places open 24 hours here.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Around here they're mostly places like Denny's.
• Pleasant Hill, California
The password! As in spoken? Sounds way cool!
@xFiacre (10473)
@thehorse Spoken softly through a grill in the hope that passing army patrols would not hear.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@xFiacre Dang. That sounds serious! What would they do if they "busted" you?
@xFiacre (10473)
@TheHorse Many questions about why I would be in a dark alley at 3 in the morning saying that my name was Claire and a general rummaging in my pockets and other places by indelicate soldiers.
@ms1864 (7002)
• Bangalore, India
there were night cafe's? were they the same as the ones we have now?
• Pleasant Hill, California
To me, things seem to close down earlier than they used to.
@AutumnSnow (4625)
I am not stranger to not being able to sleep. I wish you well.
Which kind of birds are twittering outside in the morning at 4:30? Not even in summer we have such kind of early birds.
@xFiacre (10473)
@ladyduck it was too dark to see! They always start every early. We live beside a river and forest so there are plenty of birds.
@xFiacre Here, the birds that chirp when it's still dark are the blackbirds followed by the European red robins. They are not very active now, at the end of February they can be very noisy. We also live near a brook, it runs at the edge of our garden.
@xFiacre (10473)
@LadyDuck Mine were probably Blackbirds. It's warmer here I think so they are maybe more active.
That surprises me that there isn't an all-night cafe somewhere. Do they have nightclubs that run all night?
@xFiacre (10473)
@judyev Yes but not for old men!
@xFiacre Um, yes. I don't suppose you'd really fit in there.
@pgntwo (21710)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
8am? Tsk! No bakery nearby, they tend to open early... . And the local taxi drivers surely have a hangout somewhere...
@1creekgirl (8674)
I feel your pain. It's almost 1am here and I'm still awake.
I would not consider it to be a great ambition to look for a place where you could stay awake doing something for 24hours. Instead how about trying to look for ways to get you some sleep - just a thought.
No 24hs opened places around?