Taste buds change...

Jacksonville, Florida
They say that our taste buds change every seven years. Well... I am in the second year of my next set of seven years. And even though I liked them okay enough...I could live without them. Now...literally over the last two years, I try to find a way to include mushrooms, and artichokes, in as many meals as I can. Not necessarily together (unless they're on pizza...I love them on pizza). The seven years before that, I started drinking coffee. And I did not just not like coffee...I HATED COFFEE!!!! I did not just hate coffee, I LOATHED coffee!!! I even hated the smell of coffee. The slightest hint of flavor in any food, would make me want to gag!!! When I was younger, I had a job downtown working for a bank. There was a coffee factory (not sure if it is still there)...and everytime I would get close to downtown, the stinch was so bad to me...it would make me sick to my stomach!!! Now...I drink coffee all the time, and actually enjoy it. You could not have paid me a million dollars, to convince me that I would have ever liked coffee. And the opposite is true too. I used to eat bananas all the time, especially on cereal. Now I can not stand them. I still like banana bread, and popcicles though... But an actual banana will, and has...made me throw up! I used to think that it was only in my head, and so one day I decided to try to eat one. I ended up visiting the porcelain throne for a few minutes. I was convinced then, that it was not just in my head. LOL I also no longer like mint of any kind. I loved it as a child, but not anymore. Anyone else ever start eating, and/or drinking something later in life, that you thought you never would?
@SAM774 (4124)
when i was young... i used hate pizza....:/ now i am like what the hell was wrong with me...pizza is the best food ever...:)
LOL - I know...
Actually, yeah! When I was younger, I hate-hate-HATED mushrooms. Just the thought of them was enough to make me feel sick. My grandma put them on everything! It was awful. But now that I cook for myself, I've been trying new things and my palette has completely changed. Also, as a kid, I loved watermelon with a passion, now it's disgusting to me. Maybe that whole myth about the taste buds changing is true. It would actually make a lot of sense.
I agree. Because drinking coffee now, is completely mind boggling to me. Anyone that knew me, knew I could not stand the stuff!
@teresatrotter I remember being like 7 or 8 and my mom letting me have a sip of her coffee and all i could think was "EW! Why do grown ups like this!" And now I can't get through the day without at least one cup.
@taibhsi - I don't have to have coffee every day, but do it enjoy it when I do...
I have had an operation that makes eating stuff not so good. I vomit a lot. I can't no matter what eat a banana. Never could no matter what year went by. I don't explore foods though so those foods you mentioned above I never tried and never will. Coffee black I love to smell but I must have flavor in my coffee. I also need it iced.
Your tasted buds won't change with every food and/or drink. Sometimes you will always like certain foods/drinks, and other times you will never like certain food/drinks. But I find it interesting when it does happen.
@teresatrotter I wish I could find something like that. I would love to eat stuff that is good for me. But a lot of veggies I cna't eat because it looks gross.
Yes i agree with you a little. Because what I liked during my childhood, is not liked by me now and vice versa
• New Delhi, India
My taste Buds have considerably changed over these years so i believe in this saying.
My tastes havent changed in awhile, tried coffee this AM, still dont like it!
If you would have told me I would ever like coffee, I would have said you were crazy. It was a surprise change for me. Some things you will never like.
@teresatrotter I used to hate green beans, learned to eat them in college, now i like them, but coffee is stil gross lol
Things don't always taste as nice as I think they should but I haven't totally turned against any foods as you have.
Not everyone has the same experience.