Tenerife - An Otherworldly Landscape

Tenerife
Denmark
My husband and I have been to Tenerife several times. We prefer the Christmas holidays/vacation because we're not so keen on Christmas celebrations and the weather in Germany tends to be unpleasant in December. On Tenerife, you can find agreeable high spring/early summer temperatures all year round. The group of seven Canary Islands lies in the Atlantic off the northwest corner of Africa. They belong to Spain. Tenerife is the most varied one in landscape and vegetation, the reason being the Teide, Spain's highest mountain (3.717 m [12.198 feet]). It divides the island into the yellow-grey, arid south and the green, lush north of permanent spring. The trade winds are responsible for that. When they touch the northern side of the Teide, clouds form. The needles of the fir trees growing there 'milk' them so-to-speak. The humidity enters the ground, disappears through the porous rocks and gathers in huge caverns. The islanders search for them and open them. At the moment 1000 are in use. They build canals with tubes up to 6 km long and irrigate their fields. 70% of the water supply comes from the Teide, 30% from rain and snow and a few desalination plants. The Canary Islands are volcanoes which have risen up from the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean. Geologists assume that the one forming Tenerife once rose to a height of 6.000 meters (~19.685 feet). One day (sounds strange, doesn't it?) the top half exploded and slid into the sea. Out of the crater, a new, smaller peak arose, the one we see today. A result of this natural catastrophe is that the beaches are black. The sand is pulverised lava. At the rim of the crater, there's the most fantastic landscape you can imagine: the 'chimneys' out of which the lava erupted have shaped into bizarre rocks. Rare plants grow there. The whole atmosphere is other-worldly. It's very cold up there, but if you don't protect your skin, you'll get a sunburn at once. Much of the film Planet of the Apes was shot in this location. --- Photo: pixabay
@Asylum (48358)
• Manchester, England
Tenerife was the third of the Canary Islands that I visited. The most notable part to me was the fact the Tenerife, Lanzarote and Gran Canaria are so different to each other.
• Denmark
I don't know Gran Canaria but have been to Lanzarote. This island is certainly unique!
@Asylum (48358)
• Manchester, England
@MALUSE Yes, seriously arid and flat.
I would love to visit there. We have traced some of my mama's ancestry back to the Canary Islands.
Breathtaking picture! - I must pay closer attention to the scenery next time I watch Planet of the Apes. It is nice to know something about the history of its filming location - and most of all- the island itself.
• Denmark
Thank you.
I have been to Tenerife many times, but didn't know a lot of this information. Thanks.
• Denmark
I'm glad I could enlighten you. :-)
@garymarsh6 (12520)
The Canaries are certainly a great winter holiday destination for the warmth. Each island is quite unigue and different. In Las Palmas people live inside the crater of the volcano. I like Tenerife probably more so than the other islands.
@owlwings (38395)
• Cambridge, England
I've never been to the Canaries but I've been following the progress of my nephews in the yacht TinTin and they visited Tenerife and sent some glorious photos (which I now can't find!) of the verdant part of the island. They have since crossed the Atlantic and are now in the Caribbean!
• Denmark
The verdant part is in the north of the island. We prefer it to the south. It's warmer there but too arid for our liking.
It must be strange to see black beaches.
@xFiacre (3880)
@maluse Nature certainly throws up some odd landscapes.
I also never been there.But do know about the Island there
How interesting to read how they get their water. The photo reminds me of southern Alberta.
• Denmark
Indeed? You have such a barren landscape in Canada?
@MALUSE In a few places. Here is a picture near Drumheller, Alberta
• Denmark
@paigea Oh, yes. This doesn't look very friendly. Only grey rock, no green plants.
• Pamplona, Spain
It is a really nice place to spend your Holidays in the Canary Islands. My Friend has won another free Holiday there for this coming year too. You have to protect you skin yes as the Sun can burn your skin very easily but sometimes you are not aware of it till it happens.
• Denmark
Where is the town/village Los Arcos, please?
@valmnz (13143)
• New Zealand
Enjoyed reading this thank you. The Canary Islands have always sounded really exotic to me here so far away, and you've given us some real facts!
• Denmark
Thanks. You're welcome.
Breathtaking ! So this is where some of the Planet of the Apes were shot . It is appropriate indeed because it is in rocky place and at the rim of the crater .
• Midland, Michigan
You shared a lot here that I never knew or heard about before. Portions of Maui also have black beaches made out of the lava I'd imagine. I didn't know that movie was filmed there. I saw this one while checking out Barry's post about the same place.
Beautiful photo! We saw chimneys in Turkey and looked inside craters in Hawaii. I'm fascinated by geography.
@Inlemay (16640)
• South Africa
that is where Barry is headed to - Black beaches well that would be interesting to see. Very interesting about this island and I might have to watch the Plant of the Apes to get a glimpse of the arid side of the Volcano. I am sure Barry will share some marvelous shots of the beaches.
• Portland, Connecticut
I have always wanted to visit the Canary Islands but have not had the opportunity as of yet.
Wow, that is a beautiful scene! Stunning!
@tzwrites (4137)
Looks like a nice place to visit. I would like to see those rare plants.
@DWDavis (10811)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
The photograph is awe inspiring. Thank you for the information on the island. I always enjoy learning new things about far flung places I've not been.
The black beaches and the sand being pulverised lava would this beach be healthy for people to swim in?