Not What I Expected

I have seen signs along the freeway for a Children's Court every weekend as I drive my daughter to a college for her art class past downtown. I've been meaning to look into it but never did. I imagined a children's courtyard with a lovely garden, a play area, and grassy picnic areas. Perhaps it was a place where I could take the kids while we were out there. As the rest of the college campus was closed due to winter break, I spent my waiting time taking a walk. I made it to the other side of the campus, and then I saw the signs for that Children's Court which didn't seem too far - so I thought I'd give it a go. I went over the freeway, hung a left for a couple blocks, then followed the signs up a steep hill. Instead of the lush kids sanctuary I had in mind, I reached an employee only parking lot and public paid parking structure - along with steps leading to a sterile hospital-like building . I peeked through the glass doors and saw a security search area and signs saying something about county employee IDs. Oh. It was then I realized it was a courthouse where they handle juvenile cases - NOT a courtyard . Oh well. It was a nice, long walk anyway. Did you ever make a goal and when you finally reached it, the goal was not what you expected?
• Lakewood, Colorado
What a lovely thought you had Much. Funny as soon as I read your post, I thought about kids standing in front of Judge Judy.
@TiarasOceanView !!!! Nice to see you! Can you imagine? It was closed at the time, but still, I had some strange thoughts about the place too.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@hereandthere (23131)
what if there was such a place called children's court where kids can pretend they really are in court as a way of settling whatever incident happened why they were playing, or making up a story (case) and then assigning roles to each other?
That would actually be interesting and educational! I think kids should know how the judicial system works in this interactive way!
@much2say i remember an archie comic where jughead saw a sign with a spoon and fork, no text. he ran there with his tongue hanging out. his shoulders slumped when he saw it was a cutlery/garage sale!
@hereandthere Poor Jughead!!
You made quite the adventure! I normally check Yelp to see new places or places I don't know for a heads up :)
I normally would have checked online, but it was one of those things where it wasn't always on my mind plus it was so close anyway - might as well check it out. I did - and well, yah I guess it did turn out to be an adventure! I got a workout in anyway .
@much2say Haha yeah, well now you know what they meant by courtyard Curiosity kills so I have had those scenarios before!
@infatuatedbby I learned the hard way . But I guess it's better that I went there only because I stumbled upon it rather than actually having to go to court !
Reading this, and knowing you didn't find what you expected, I had the idea that perhaps it was a court where children of divorced parents were heard to determine guardianship, not what I expected either. I don't set goals. I learned a long time ago that unless I knew exactly what I was capable of I could not reach that goal. I'm also the hippy type, live for today, don't worry about tomorrow is my motto. The reason is I know today is here but no one knows what'll happen tomorrow.
It could very well be that too . . . I hadn't looked it up online to see what all it this place handled. It was a pretty building, so I figure they must handle all sorts of cases. And that is true - no one knows what will happen tomorrow - even the next minute! I like making lots of short term goals - it's the long ones where I often get distracted in which I may or may not get there.
About the only goal I'll make is if I'm in the right mood I'll set myself up to do laundry or something like that @much2say I really hate housework and thankfully only kritters reside with me so I don't have to clean if I don't want to but boy do I need to .... this place is a mess .... so I made a goal today to at least get one corner cleaned up, then I can set a new goal but only for today.
@mysdianait (63977)
I probably did but I can't recall it at the moment
Did you ever watch a movie with certain expectations and then it turned out to be better (or worse) than you thought? I saw what I thought would be a silly movie this weekend, and I can't believe it actually made me tear up in certain scenes (it was no E.T. movie, but I must becoming a softy . . . I swear I tear up at anything I watch these days ).
@mysdianait (63977)
@much2say I remember watching a film for the first time at home on television. I only watched it because there was nothing else on at the time and was not enthusiastic about it but once it started I got really involved watching it and it is now my favorite film of all times. I cried the first time I saw it and every other time afterwards too (and those are many! ) Maybe you know it too. It is Revenge with kevin Costner and Anthony Quinn.
@mysdianait I've never seen that one! I'll have to check it out . . . I do like Kevin Costner! Last weekend we saw "Trolls" - yes, that colorful eye candy cupcakes and unicorns trolly kids movie. I figured it was another "kiddie" you-know-how-it-will-be movie . . . and can you believe I actually teared up in a couple scenes? Silly me . . . must be getting too emotional with age . Oh this makes me think of my sister's late cat . . . the kitty's face (a "she") looked like Keven Costner!
The " Children's Court " signs in itself are ambiguously worded, You can construe it as both courtyard and courthouse.On the other hand,subconsciously you hoped that it was a children's courtyard,because how you want to find one more great place for kids to play!
Our freeways do have signs that point out places of interest . . . so naturally I assumed this place was a "fun" place of interest - but I assumed wrong! Yes, when I see the words "children" and "court", I do think of a court-yard . . . as in a space where children can play. You are right I always have the kids in mind . . . but well, I guess this is one place I won't even think to take the kids anymore .
@much2say Yes, it is better to keep away from that sort of place that is no way a kids' paradise.I am glad to learn that your daughter now takes art class.
@changjiangzhibin89 My daughter got identified as "gifted" in the arts 2 years ago. She had to audition for 3 hours - and she passed! Now she is eligible to take free art class (through the school district but at a college location that's a bit far for us) every Saturday until she graduates from high school - and it's possible she could get a scholarship if she stays that long. We shall see how it goes!
At least you now know what it is. Lol! I've visited many places that turned out to be disappointing.
It sure wasn't the kind of destination I thought it would be! I kinda felt bad . . . although I will never return there, someone else's kids are having to go there.
@much2say That's the spirit!
So it led to Juvi. What a letdown!
Yah - I don't think I'll be taking my kids there afterall .
@much2say - Let's hope you never have to!
I was thinking 'legal' with your first mention of children's court. At least the walk would have done you good.
I guess I never thought of a courthouse for kids . . . I am so serious that a park of some sort was on my mind! And yes, I did get a workout in .
Lol - I would have expected exactly what you found there!
I don't know why I didn't think of the right "court" . . . I was really thinking of a court-yard!
@katsmeow1213 (28845)
What a shocking revelation. I would probably have looked it up online to see what it was. Hope it was at least a nice day for the walk.
I usually do look these things up online, but I figured since I was so close, might as well check it out for myself. And well, I guess I won't need to check it out anymore . It was a nice walk!
Not quite the same thing as your example but with Aunt Mary living with us I was picturing something totally different before she actually came. I thought she would love the kids, I thought she would want to babysit for us now and then and I thought she would be really grateful for a place to stay. I cannot believe how wrong I was about all of it!
Ah yes, it can be that way with people as well! Aunt Mary turned out to be something else, didn't she ?
never heard of this show.Then again I do not watch any shows like Judge Judy and more.They bore me.LOL
Well this wasn't a show, it was an actual Children's Court! I didn't even know such a place existed . . . now I know!
@DWDavis (11147)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
At least you got a nice walk out of the deal. I remember when I first went to college up in New Hampshire I saw a sign for Laconia State School and wondered if it was a local community college campus. When I finally learned what it was, turns out it was a state sponsored school for special needs children.
Yep - I did get some fresh air (even though I was so close to the freeways) and a good work out! Ah, with that college name, I would have assumed it was a community college as well!!
Kind of wish you had happened upon a lovely children's courtyard rather than a place that handles juvenile cases. I am sure many times in my life, I happened upon something that did not turn out to be what I thought.
I know, I too wished it was a happy place for children to go to. I can't believe that I had assumed all this time that that's what it was.
@masood72 (4173)
• Amersfoort, Netherlands
yes it happened sometime...
I still cannot believe I had made such an assumption!
Yes, this has happened a time or two.
• Preston, England
I was picturing a Children Of The Corn court house presided over by children condeming adults for saying no to ice cream or making the children do homework