A Quiet Neighbourhood

Winston Salem, North Carolina
We live in a quiet neighbourhood and for the most part people keep to themselves. Waves are exchanged whenever our vehicles have to ease around each other on our narrow street and small talk is generally exchanged on the rare occasions when we happen to cross paths under other circumstances. That all seems to change when the world turns white. Yesterday one of the residents pulled out his tractor and blade to plough through the 8-10 inches of snow on our street (we’ve had a dozen or so decent snow falls in the years we’ve lived in the house and I’ve only ever since the county clear our road once) then, as he encountered various neighbours out with shovels in hand, he volunteered to plough our driveways. The gesture was much appreciated! Over the past two days the handful of children and teenagers that live here have spent significant time in each others company sliding down the hills and tossing fist fulls of snow at each other. There are no snowmen and no real snow forts this time around since snow doesn’t roll into balls very well if temperatures stay below freezing. We live in quiet neighbourhood and for the most part people keep to themselves, but they’re good folks. Folks I’m proud to live near!
@AutumnSnow (4624)
You are so lucky and blessed. We live in a downstairs apartment and our upstairs neighbors are rude and down right nasty. We are getting our own house and moving in about 3 weeks and it cant happen soon enough. It's been a nightmare for us.
We've managed to avoid apartment living.
That's the right kind of neighbour to have! My Dad used to get his tractor and blade out and plow down their road to help out neighbours who had to dodge the drifts on his country road.
@Brittnyrose (1469)
• Aberdeen, North Carolina
It nice to hear there are some good neighbor hoods. When I lived in the city it was so loud and I never felt like I had privacy. I'm back in the country now and I love it. It's always quiet. And lots of privacy, not to mention everyone friendly over here.
We've done the city bit. I'm glad that is behind us.
Lucky one.
@KristenH (20479)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Cool beans! I love hearing stories like this.
@LoriAMoore (10031)
Sounds like a nice neighborhood,
@cindiowens (3923)
• North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
That is wonderful! I wish I could say the same about my neighborhood. We only got about three flakes of the white wonder.
We got more than initially anticipated. Life has pretty much come to a halt around here.
• North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
@Platespinner It definitely would come to a halt here, as our county doesn't even own a snow plow. lol
@cindiowens When it snows around here it seems that everybody who can straps a blade onto their truck or tractor to make a few bucks.
that's the kind of neighborhood I like...people who wave and say hello but are willing to help when the need arises
That pretty much describes our neighbourhood.
I cannot imagine what it is like living in all that snow.
The snow is unusual for us. We usually get about 3-4 snowfalls every winter but we don't usually get more than a couple of inches.
@AunBecky (155)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
What a lovely way for neighbors to come together.
It's nice to live in a neighbourhood that is a little bit old fashioned!
@Gillygirl (15290)
• Sutton, England
That is a nice balance to have. There is privacy but then when assistance is needed people pull together
It's just about perfect!
@katsmeow1213 (28927)
Occasionally, after a very heavy snow fall, I'll find that one of my neighbors has plowed my driveway. I have no idea who.. I'm not really "friends" with anyone on the street.. just about same as you, there's one or two that will wave at me, that's about it. So it's always surprising when I come home and see my driveway cleared out for me.
Around here everybody waves.
@xFiacre (10506)
@platespinner That all sounds like what I want!
I don't think there are any houses for sale at the moment, but there is one vacant .
Glad that you live in a nice and quiet neighborhood, so do we. We love it.
It's definitely a nice place to live!
@platespinner when my dad was alive, and well he would take his snowblower and go up and down the front walk and do everybody's front walk. He once put a hat on with only his eyes showing when he used it the first time (the snowblower) I thought we had a thief getting rid of our snow (LOL) I found out it was daddy when he came in the house!
That sounds like they are the best sort of neighbours to have - not in your face, but there if you need them.
@Morleyhunt (16729)
Looks like a worthwhile snowfall. We are supposed to get some tomorrow night. It is always good to have cooperative neighbours.
A decent snowfall indeed, but a bit inconvenient since most places will still be shut down tomorrow.
@Morleyhunt (16729)
@Platespinner does that mean that you still need to track down some milk?
@Morleyhunt The husband picked up some on Friday so we're good.
@UncleJoe (8589)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I haven't had to shovel our driveway for years. My neighbors hit and run before I've even had my coffee.
@WriterAI (3814)
• Bulgaria
Everything is white with snow.
Sounds like a nice quiet little neighbourhood.