A Cruel Joke for Sure

I read a lovely post by @fishtiger today. Accompanying the post was a photo of one solitary leaf hanging onto a tree despite the fact that all other leaves on the tree had fallen. I did feel sorry for that lonely, little leaf. We have an oak tree in our neighborhood that has every single leaf still hanging on despite the fact that those leaves should have dropped in November, or at least in December, for heaven's sake! I assume that the oak tree with all its now brown leaves still in place did not get the message from the surrounding, and much older, trees that leaves are to be dropped when fall rolls around. The oak tree is a newbie, and one would think the other trees would have clued the poor thing in regarding the leaf-dropping ritual. Well, they did not! I do believe the other trees laugh at the oak tree with all its brown leaves still hanging on its limbs, and that is just downright cruel. So, I will say "Hello!" every day to the still-leafy oak tree and loudly proclaim how lovely those brown leaves look on its limbs. As for the trees that have dropped their leaves, no way will they get any attention from me! That'll show 'em.
@moffittjc (41217)
• Gainesville, Florida
When oak trees usually drop their leaves, it signals that the tree is alive and healthy, despite the lack of foliage. When the leaves remain on the tree and don't drop off in the fall, that usually means the poor tree kicked the bucket. This isn't a hard and true rule, but it generally signals that the poor oak tree is in trouble.
• Midland, Michigan
I wondered about that myself, actually.
@MarshaMusselman A strange sight for me to see. All other oaks here are bare.
Well, since it is not in front of my house, not much I can do to help the poor thing. Oh well, will wait and see if he survives. Hope so.
@DWDavis (10774)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I read @moffittjc 's response and hope the tree is going to be okay. You'll have to start looking for buds to form in a few weeks.
@moffittjc (41217)
• Gainesville, Florida
Well, I'm no tree expert, but that has been my experience, at least with the oak trees here in Florida. But we're in a completely different temporal zone, so the oak trees farther north may act or respond differently to the Fall and Winter conditions.
@moffittjc Well, the other oak trees are bare here, but this little fellow did not get the message to drop those leaves.
@moffittjc (41217)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Corbin5 Poor little tree! Maybe he should pay better attention next time!
• Eugene, Oregon
That is a truly reluctant oak tree. I think it will appreciate your attention.
Well, the tree is so lonely due to being different.
@fishtiger58 (30379)
• Momence, Illinois
wow how unusual is that, I'm sure I have never seen a tree not drop it leaves. Thanks for the mention.
That tree is a first for me too. It gets so cold in the Chicago area, one would think the leaves would have dropped already. The other oak trees have dropped their leaves.
@fishtiger58 (30379)
• Momence, Illinois
@Corbin5 I just looked out my window towards the river, not a single leaf in sight.
@fishtiger58 Oh dear. The winds were strong as could be here yesterday, but the little oak still has its leaves. I think he is keeping them to show the other trees that he does not go by those silly tree rules.
• Midland, Michigan
That's funny, Deborah. We have trees around us that are slow to lose their leaves too, but by now they all seem to be gone other than a few lone strays bout the town. I have a redbud tree that I think misses the clues for how it's supposed to bud in the spring time for it barely has the redbuds on the limbs that it's known for. Maybe that tree want's a head start in the spring time. That would really show those other trees off.
Yes, if the tree was green-leafed before the others in the spring, that would show those who dropped their leaves in the fall!!!
@Gillygirl (17278)
• Sutton, England
I think you must give the tree a hug too they like hugs.
Oh yes, a hug for the little oak, but not for those other trees who tease him.
@Gillygirl (17278)
• Sutton, England
@Corbin5 No they need a smack. Lol I had an accident in my car years ago and crashed into a tree. The bark was damaged I joked that I was going to hug it better. My car was pretty damaged too.
@Gillygirl I have a car!!
I bet that still-leafy oak tree is doing a little laughing of its own, because it has those leaves to keep it warm while the other trees stand around all nekkid and cold.
@Corbin5 It might be immature, but it certainly is fun! If the other trees start to be nicer to the little oak, then maybe you could get some ribbon to tie around the other trees in the proper places.
@purplealabaster Oh yes, a marvelous idea, my friend!!!
@besweet (7230)
• Greece
The oak tree should be proud, it is both young and strong since it can keep all the leaves in the winter!
I think you are right. It is a stronger tree than the others!!!
@besweet (7230)
• Greece
@Corbin5 This would become a great children's story, maybe with the younger oak tree as the main character. You should think about writing it!
@besweet Well, it does deal with bullying or befriending those who may be a bit different. I should give it a try.
@sallypup (26322)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Say a friendly hello! to your oak tree from me, please.
I will definitely say a "Hello!" from you to the little oak tree!
@sallypup (26322)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Corbin5 Thanks.
@KristenH (23322)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Good for you. Sad news to hear about the old Sequoia tree that toppled over, due to the winter storm.
Yes, saw that on the news about the Sequoia. Mighty powerful winds to do that.
@KristenH (23322)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
There must be some real reason though why that has not lost all its leaves like the rest. It makes me curious!
@DaddyEvil posted a link below that explains the reason for some trees not dropping their leaves, but for the sake of a story, I will go with the other trees not telling the little one to drop its leaves.
@hostessman (8890)
• Tucson, Arizona
it is strang that the leaves havn't fallen off, kind of wierd
Yes, and Chicago area winters are cold as can be, so leaf-dropping should have occurred already.
@JESSY3236 (6071)
lol maybe the leaves just like hanging around.
Maybe it is the leaves and not the tree that has those leaves staying put.
@Hate2Iron (7663)
Lol... say hello from me to. That does make you feel sorry for the tree doesn't it!! I am now going to look at the maples beside our house to see if they have lost all of their leaves.
I will say hello for you when I pass the little tree again. Not sue why it still is full of leaves.
@Jam4321 (581)
• Jamaica
Well I guess he wants to be a different tree...lol
I think you are right. He was to be unique.
@FayeHazel (16506)
What an imaginative story. :-)
Well, the little oak tree is so unusual, and he asked if I would tell others his story, I just went ahead and did.
@cahaya1983 (10060)
Thanks for giving me a good laugh today Please say hi to that precious oak tree for me!
I will say a "Hi!" from you when I pass by that little tree. He needs all the attention he can get.
I think that I shall never see, a poem as lovely as a tree....
He really is a lovely tree and quite nice too. I am very fond of that tree.
@corbin5 How sad no other tree filled the oak tree in that leaves are supposed to fall. Good for you talking and complimenting the oak tree. You are such a kind hearted person
Well, it is a fine little tree and I am quite fond of it now. Always have to love the one who is picked upon.
@Corbin5 Yes, it is best to love those in that situation!
@DaddyEvil (23486)
• Aurora, Missouri
(grinning at you!) And you believe the trees will actually listen to you? If they are willing to tease a long-lived oak tree who is going to be living with them for possibly hundreds of years, why would they care what a short-lived human being says or does? (Just curious... ) Edit to add: Were you aware that there may actually be a reason for that smaller tree to be hanging onto it's leaves through the winter, Deborah? It is possible the tree is keeping it's leaves for the added nutrition it thinks it will get from them this coming Spring... Here, check out this link:
Ever wondered why some deciduous trees hold on to their leaves through the winter and others go bare? Learn about marcescent leaves and why they might just help a tree out...
Thank you for the link! Off to take a look!! Yes, trees, plants, and even weeds do listen to me and they also come back with their own responses. I have been able to avoid the professional help suggested by family members for decades, and they have just accepted that I have this ability to communicate successfully with all living things. It is a gift. Human beings are very influential in the lives of trees since humans can put an end to them with an axe or chainsaw, so they do listen to short-lived humans. The little oak and I have plans to meet this afternoon. And, the little oak is a he and not a she. The little oak and I will discuss how to keep boy dogs from urinating at the base of the little oak. Very important topic.
@DaddyEvil (23486)
• Aurora, Missouri
@Corbin5 Then you might like another link so you and the young male tree can have a very good conversation about this. (I can't find any REAL solutions to dogs peeing on a tree, except for cutting down the tree... but this link offers the best solution so far... I hope the idea helps.)
A new tree protector is designed to prevent dogs from peeing on the trunks and damaging the bark.
@DaddyEvil That is why Molly is so disgusted by boy dogs. That lifting-the-leg thing to pee on a tree just grosses Molly out big time. Boys!!!