Cold, Snow and Freezing Rain.

The weather has been good so far this winter. We have had some snow but nothing earth shaking. Today it is snowing (the photo above shows what it looks like here right now). It is supposed to change to rain later this afternoon and the then freezing rain. That will be a disaster if it happens. The highways here are famous for massive accidents and I will put a video on the end of this chat so you can see what it looks like for over 100 cars and trucks crash on our highways. A video taken by a person standing on a bridge over the 401 is awesome and no one was seriously hurt but lots of cars and trucks were...The video was taken farther north than where I live. Its time to dust off the shovel, find the rock salt and get ready for some winter. Are you ready? http://videobloggers.info/2017/01/10/scary-footage-of-highway-401-crash-captured-on-camera/
All lanes are now open on Ontario's Highway 401 -- one of the busiest in the world -- after up to 100 vehicles were involved in a collision on Saturday.
we are always ready for any kind of storm we have
We are too but I need the roads clear before I want to drive on them...
@PainsOnSlate I see.Many do.It going to be a mess so I hear tonight on freezing rain.This I hate
• Portland, Connecticut
No I am not ready and that is why I am down here.
I wish I was there...
• Portland, Connecticut
@PainsOnSlate Did you get your date yet?????
@BelleStarr No, it won't be this spring I think but I will call my surgeon at the end of the month to make sure...
That was very scary, especially that semi. We've had the snow, the rain, and the ice and the severe wind chills and heavy winds. As much as I love winter, I do not like this one. I prefer snow, not what this winter has given us so far, and it isn't over yet. We've got another round coming on Monday that is in the plain states right now.
We've been lucky so far, all the horrible weather reports have missed us and its actually quite warm and not a flake of snow still standing. Stay safe when it hit.
@PainsOnSlate Don't you find that completely strange for Canada? When I think of winter and Canada I think about beautiful white covered vistas, knee deep in snow. Not to have any must be the strangest experience.
@PainsOnSlate It always amazes me how it can snow in some places and not in others all because of where a person lives on the map. Where I am, in Green Bay, the snow seems to go north or south of us. Even being on the Bay of Green Bay, doesn't give us lake effect. And yet just a few miles away they have lots of snow, rain, or whatever the weather is doing at the moment.
@katsmeow1213 (29023)
It was pretty nasty during my drive home, but hubby says it was worse earlier in the afternoon.
It turned out nothing happened, it warmed up and it rained with a lot of wind but no freezing...thank goodness.
@PainsOnSlate we had some freezing. Today is almost 50!!
@katsmeow1213 Crazy weather, to day its in the 40's and feels like fall outside.
Nope! Our snowplow service is ready. That's why I'm in South Florida.
You and Belle, both ran away from the snow. But the snow stopped here... but its still very cold.
@PainsOnSlate I also ran away from the cold and the bare trees. The temps went to 60F at home and the snow melted. The bare trees are still there.
@Jam4321 (582)
• Jamaica
wow! Glad I'm from the tropics so really no snow and all that...hope you guys just stay warm and safe as possible.
Its cold outside but its warm inside. We are used to the mess we have to deal with but its short lived, by April it will be heading out of our area.
@Jam4321 (582)
• Jamaica
@PainsOnSlate At least that's not bad...hopefully it will go away soon.
That would be shocking. It would have to take forever to get everyone moving again. Stay safe.
Yes it often closes the highway for hours to open even one lane..
@PainsOnSlate That would be so bad. I guess everyone gets used to it and has their own way of coping.
I have seen lots of video of accidents around here...we are warming up - just a ltitle rain expected with 60's. I'll take it.
Right now I'd take 60 too but its around 30 here so I will stay inside...
@PainsOnSlate burr...it is 63 right not and no sun. If it would come out we could hit 70.
• Denmark
I'm sure you Canadians would laugh at what we call winter here in Germany, yet freezing rain is what we have at the moment, too. Enough for falling and breaking bones and car accidents.
I avoid going out when its icy. Being retired helps, there is nothing to force myself out the door, so I stay in until it melts.
• Denmark
@PainsOnSlate That's a wise decision. My husband who's from the south of Italy would like to hibernate until April and only go out when spring has arrived!
@Shellyann36 (8554)
UGH~ the ice is the real problem. We had some rain/ice and just a sprinkle of snow. Now our weather is in the 60's but they talk like another cold front is coming through. The snow is so pretty but the ice that hides beneath it is deadly.
I love the snow to, not so much the ice...
We've had some pretty decent weather so far but I expect winter to still arrive at some point
With Global warming we might not have a bad winter. Its pretty nice here too...now...
@garymarsh6 (12769)
OH gosh I commented before I watched the video. They were very lucky that no one was hurt. The trouble is some were driving too fast. The lorry that jackknifed looked quite frightening!
watching it scared me too, it was a mess and it never fails, some have to drive too fast no matter what the roads condition. That accident shouldn't have happened, the beginning showed dozens going slowly and being careful, and then poof, the speeder caused the truck to break...
@garymarsh6 (12769)
Although we had snow yesterday it is nothing quite like what you have over there. Well I hope you stay warm and safe.
I just can't seem to get warm. The house is warm but my hands and feet are cold...
Maybe it is best to stay at home as much as possible.
When the weather is bad that is exactly what I do....
@mom210 (6202)
• Atlanta, Georgia
If we got snow, my kids would be more than ready to shovel, sweep, or play in it. I can send them over to see ya if you get some though
I look forward to the help but it is a long way away,
We had snow a few days ago. It is all melted now.
Same here although our cars were covered in frost this morning.
Last night was a scary night here. VEry high winds and heavy rains. I thought for sure that we would lose some big tree branches, but we did not.
Same thing here, the sounds of branches hitting the roof was scary. But nothing big enough fell to do any damage. We have a street light out in front of our house and I was watching the shadows of the electric lines dancing on the the road. One of our bird feeders fell down too.
This is our coldest month even in Florida. I quite enjoy the cooler weather and snuggling in a sweater. We have a lot of Canadians here this time of year!
I'm usually there by now too... but not yet this year.
Wow that was some accident, it's a wonder no-one was seriously hurt. I hope you don't get the freezing rain.
We didn't get the freezing rain and we are thankful for that.
That looks like it must have been frightening from a passenger or driver level, much different from that of the individual who took the video on the overpass. I just really dislike the way people drive on the 401 at almost any time of the year, but when there is snow on it, it just gets that much worse. Our snow is supposed to transition to rain within the next hour or so and then by noon it will all be over and melting. We aren't expecting anything freezing after the rain ends. I hope that you stay safe!
Our snow came and went and noting since to talk about. It looks like this Winter is going to be gentle. The highways scare me, no one drives well in ice and snow. I stay off the highways.