It's Over. I'm Back Home and I'm so Relieved.

image is my own
@msiduri (5750)
This will sound much worse than it is, but in December, I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer. Happily, this is one of the more treatable forms of the disease. It requires a hysterectomy, which I had yesterday. The doctor told me 80% of women need no further treatment—no radiation, no chemotherapy, no more surgery. Final say will come from the pathologist in a couple of weeks, but the surgeon said everything looked good. He went into this saying that he’d have a good idea at the time of surgery whether this was the end of it or not. And he was quite optimistic. The surgery was done laparoscopically. I have three big Band-Aids on my belly. And I got to go home the same day the surgery was performed. I got to sleep in my own bed. It’s hard to describe how nice that is, compared to having to sleep in a half-light room with a stranger and having to call someone when I wanted to go to the bathroom. As far as pain goes, I feel very little. The worst has been a sore throat from the breathing tube. They tell me not to drive for a week and, knowing what damage I could inflict with a car, I intend to listen to them. But once it’s light out today, I’ll take a shower and walk around the block. Tomorrow I’ll walk around two blocks, maybe. I am so grateful and so relieved this is over. My husband has been so good to me, even feeding my cat when he didn’t expect me to wake up in time to do it. (…I was pretty much out of it). The flowers are from my sister and her partner. I would like to thank everyone who wished me well, particularly @CoralLevang, @dragon54u, @JudyEv, and @jaboUK. It means a lot.
That must be a big relief. Best of luck going forward.
@msiduri (5750)
It is such a relief. Thanks for your good wishes.
All the best to you! I know a woman who had no further treatment after the surgery and no further problems lateron.
@msiduri (5750)
Thanks! I know at least one woman in that same situations. I hope I end up like that also. So far, so good. And that I am home on the same day as the surgery and with so little pain is great.
The laparoscopic approach to this surgery is much less invasive, and hopefully allows you to heal quicker. You sound like you got an unofficial good bill of health, and I hope that the pathologist's report echoes the same. Good luck, and I hope that you continue to heal and that this is THE end of it all for you!
@msiduri (5750)
Thank you! A friend of mine had a hysterectomy maybe ten years ago and was in the hospital for nearly a week. She had some complications, though. And a lot of pain. I never thought I'd get to go home on the same day. I am so grateful.
@msiduri Strange thing......I just left work and was talking to another girl before leaving who told me that she was just diagnosed with the same cancer a couple of weeks ago. I broke down and cried, and she just held my hand. A few months ago her husband had his second brain tumor removed, they have 2 young boys. I feel so badly for her-I'm in such shock.
@msiduri (5750)
@Juliaacv Oh, god, how awful. I can't imagine what that family is going through.
@TheSojourner (17454)
HUGS and so much more. Glad to hear that they do things with a lap now. Not in my day, but they also took both ovaries and tubes, along with the uterus and cervix. I don't know if that would change things today. I was 27. I think that you will heal quickly...I can feel it! You'll be good as new! The one thing I enjoyed the most those next 25 years...no periods! LOL
@msiduri (5750)
All that plumbing went, but yes, I'm feeling better already. My have to set aside weight lifting. *cough*cough* but I did take a short walk around the block this morning before the rain started. Thanks for all the encouragement! It really means a lot.
@msiduri that's what we're supposed to do for one another
@msiduri (5750)
@CoralLevang You have gone about and beyond the call of duty.
Such good news! You must be so relieved. Don't go walking too far too soon. Remember however far you walk AWAY, you have to walk back.
@msiduri (5750)
I am. I felt like a fish that was going to be eviscerated, but the worst of it so far is a sore throat. I'll be drinking plenty of hot tea, I guess. I'm inherently lazy, so I won't be overtaxing myself. A walk around the block is really a walk around the block. Thanks for you well wishes.
@msiduri (5750)
Just got back from that walk around the block. It was harder than it was supposed to be. But it will be easier tomorrow. Plus, I got it done ahead of the rain.
• Aberdeen, North Carolina
@msiduri hot tea is most definitely good for the throat.
@silvermist (20100)
@msiduri Good to know that every thing went well.So no morning drives for coffee for some more days.That photo is good.The flowers from your sister are beautiful.
@msiduri (5750)
No, no morning drives. And it's funny. Yesterday, I was hungry. I didn't want to bang around in the kitchen and risk waking my husband up. So the first thing I did was grab my car key. I was half way to the garage before I remembered—oh, yeah. Can't drive. They are nice flowers, aren't they? And it's hard to see in the picture, but there's a stuffed bee in the middle of them. His antennae are crooked.
I'm glad to hear it went well.
@msiduri (5750)
Thanks! I'm glad to be home. And to be able to say it went well.
@Brittnyrose (1457)
• Aberdeen, North Carolina
Glad everything worked out for you. And glade your feeling better.
@msiduri (5750)
Thank you!
@DWDavis (10771)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Thank goodness they were able to use the least invasive method and that it looks like you are clear. I hope your recovery progresses rapidly.
@msiduri (5750)
Thanks! And yes, I'm happy with things.
I'm really happy for you , and how wonderful that you were able to come home straight away. I remember when hysterectomies involved a long stay in hospital, so modern medicine has really worked in your favour. (Btw - Freudian slip in your title?)
@msiduri (5750)
Thanks! and oh, I don't know... maybe... Thanks for the heads up.
My sister just had a hysterectomy yesterday and sadly she didn't have the same good experience you have described here. =( She has high pain tolerance but this surgery has left her in a lot of pain. She was kept over night and is able to go home today but she's still hurting pretty bad. She can walk from the bed to the bathroom and the front desk near her hospital room but not much further than that. I am very glad your surgery went as well as it did. I wish my sister had the same experience with hers. =(
@msiduri (5750)
I am so sorry. How awful. I wish it had gone better for her. I hope she recovers quickly. Some years ago, I had a tubal ligation. I woke up from that feeling like my belly was on fire. If hadn't had an oxygen mask on, I might have screamed. I was angry with myself, thinking I'd made a horrible mistake since the surgery was elective. I'm sure you sister's is much worse (and wasn't elective). All my best to your sister.