pottering about

There's a magical land just off the M25 near Watford. In this magical land you can potter along Diagon Alley, chop carrots with just a wave of your hand in the Weasley's kitchen, drink Butterbeer {oh my goodness, it is divine}, ride a broomstick, practice your spells, solemnly declare your naughty intentions, and jump aboard the Hogwart's Express. And I went there today, for free. *squee* In return for travel and ticket I had to support two students, but all it amounted to was checking in on them occasionally. After all, they're over sixteen ... they were free to wander at their own pace. And this meant that I was free to wander around at my own pace too. I took a ridiculous amount of photos and got to see quite a bit of Severus Snape. Karumba! It was busy and children jostled, tourists squealed and I just patiently waited for folk to move. I'd hate to go at the weekend or during school holidays ... it must be mayhem. If I had a working wand, I would have happily waved it so that POOF!!!, all the other visitors just disappeared. Apart from a brief panic when one of my students disappeared {no magic involved, she thought we were due to meet later so was still happily on the tour, snapping away with her camera} it was an amazing day, and a little bit weird, being in the place where Alan Rickman {*swoon*} stood. I want to go again, if only so that I can buy the t-shirt I liked from The Railway Shop, opposite the Hogwart's Express ... I thought I could get it from the shop at the end of the tour. I thought wrong. Silly me.
• Preston, England
I'm too far away in muggle-land to get there at present sadly
I was lucky ... it's the first real perk of my job in the five years I've been working there!
• Preston, England
@Poppylicious What a great job - excellent
@Gillygirl (17623)
• Sutton, England
I am so jealous lol. I'd love to go there. I had boring visits such as the Bank of England when I was teaching. Usually an attraction lets people shop at the end of the tour.
Oh, there is a shop at the end. It's a BIG shop, but once you're out of the actual tour you can't go back in. It seems that many of the items in the Railway Shop half way round {not including the sweets} are only available in the Railway Shop. I don't remember a sign telling me that so I'm rather peeved. Just remember that if you ever go with your grandson; see it, like it, buy it ... don't assume!
@moffittjc (47338)
• Gainesville, Florida
That it is very awesome that you got to visit the magical world of Harry Potter! I am also very fortunate that we have a similar place here in Florida to visit, at Universal Studios in Orlando. Actually, the way they have it designed is that there are two Harry Potter theme parks (each requires a separate ticket for entry), and they are both connected by way of the Hogwarts Express. Pretty fun place to visit, although yours is probably better because it is the authentic place where they filmed the movies.