Oh, The Drama!

Winston Salem, North Carolina
I have two teenaged daughters, and two young adult sons. At the moment everyone still lives at home. It’s a bit squishy. Our house is technically only a two bedroom house, but we’ve gotten good at finding creative solutions so everyone has the space and privacy that they need. Thankfully my kids all get along reasonably well, otherwise our housing situation would be rather unpleasant. We aren’t without our share of drama, though. Of course most of the drama that my kids create is away from home, onstage where drama belongs. At the moment three of my four children are involved in a stage version of M*A*S*H. Rehearsals are in full swing and performance dates are set for early March...and for once I don’t have any commitments backstage!
That is nice all of your children are in the same play! My house is small as well and my kids do not get along its a bit rough!
We've had to shuffle things around at times to keep the peace, but overall my kids enjoy each other's company.
@Platespinner That is wonderful! My sister and I hated each other growing up until we were about 15 and 16. Are your children all pretty close in age?
@shaggin Mine are currently 22, 20, 18 and almost 16...so pretty much 2 years between. The oldest two went through a rocky stretch, but that is because they are complete opposites, ones an early bird the other is a night owl, one is an extrovert the other is an introvert. We ended up rearranging the entire house so that they could each have their own space from when they were 14 and 12 until they were 18 and 16 when they had to share again.
You will get to just enjoy the show, how nice!
I'm looking forward to it. Though I will probably end up helping in the box office on at least some of the production nights.
@Morleyhunt (21011)
When in March...we might......big ?.....be able to squeak out three days.
That would be cool! Performance dates are the first two weekends.
@Morleyhunt Oh my! You're not planning on having a quiet peaceful weekend, are you?
@Morleyhunt (21011)
@Platespinner who me? They had asked if I could take 3 and Boekmeisje 2. I said...ill take them all. They suggested Friday just before supper until Saturday after supper. In a moment of inanity? I offered to pick them up.....at 2, and then later asked....did they want me to just bring them to church on Sunday morning.. I might be nuts....but they aren't stupid....they jumped at the chance.
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
Very cool, I have 2 sons one is currently away at school, matter of fact he called yesterday and said he had completed the requirements and was awarded his Master's Degree in Astro Physics.
Congratulations to your son. I bet you are one proud Mama!
@fishtiger58 (30319)
• Momence, Illinois
@Platespinner I sure am thanks. Enjoy the show.
I really like the picture. How wonderful to have so much talent in one family. I wish them all the best in the production of M*A*S*H.
Thanks for the good wishes! They all enjoy acting, and our local theatre group is much like an extended family for them.
@Platespinner That is great to have something like that available to them.
@PatZAnthony (13057)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
It is so nice that your children are involved in such performances. Everyone needs a little drama in their life, especially the kind you mention.
It's the best kind of drama. It holds our attention, without causing us to want to strangle each other.
@valmnz (12744)
• New Zealand
I'm surprised you've avoided getting a job backstage, as I know in the past you've had strong commitments with productions.
I"m already committed to do the costuming for Tarzan in June, whether any of my children opt to participate or not.
@valmnz (12744)
• New Zealand
@Platespinner now, that sounds more like you! There wouldn't be much to Tarzan costumes would there?
@valmnz Not for Tarzan himself . But Jane's dress will be a bit tricky since the monkeys pull it off of her piece by piece, and it has to be used for six performances.
• Pamplona, Spain
Something to look forward to. I would be thrilled to see mine in a Play like that. Dramas take place everywhere too but they are much better in a Theatre of course. Have fun with all of that.
My kids have been dabbling in drama for a long time now. Nothing really serious, but enough to be comfortable on stage and make some fantastic friends.
• Pamplona, Spain
@Platespinner I would be thrilled if mine were in that too. They have taken part in other things but not in drama. Sadly I could not reach them and get them to be enthusiastic about all that.
@lovinangelsinstead21 I've tried to encourage my children to follow their own interests. My kids have taken to drama the way some kids take to sports.
@Brittnyrose (1457)
• Aberdeen, North Carolina
Isn't it nice to still have all your family at home together. You could never get lonley that's for sure.
It's about time for the oldest to move out on his own. That should be happening come May when he graduates from university.
• Aberdeen, North Carolina
@Platespinner nice! What did he go to major?
@Brittnyrose Parks and recreation.
Happy to hear that their drama takes place on stage! You have a very talented family!
They have fun with it, and our community theater is a very friendly group.
@Platespinner I love the photo, too. Your daughter is so pretty!
@DianneN Thank you!
And is that one of your daughters ?
That is my oldest daughter. Diligently studying her MASH script while in costume to help out with tours at a local historic home.
@Platespinner She's pretty , even in her side view .
@SIMPLYD Thank you!
@moffittjc (45351)
• Gainesville, Florida
Wow, a stage version of MASH! That would be very interesting to see! I was a big fan of the tv show back in the 70's, although I was just a kid at the time. I probably didn't understand half of the stuff going on in the show, but it was still a great show to watch every week!
My son had been streaming episodes for a while, and when he found out the local theatre was going to be doing this play he was quick to jump in with his sisters.
@moffittjc (45351)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Platespinner What character will he be playing? My favorite on the shoe was always Radar.
@moffittjc He is Pvt Boone.
@jhechorain (1228)
• Susanville, California
Sometimes a household like that can be difficult. I know my sister is going to have some trouble with all 4 of her girls so close in age... all coming into teenage hood at the same time.
I had 4 teenagers at once, but we didn't actually have too much trouble. They're good kids for the most part.
• Susanville, California
That would be rough
@jhechorain It wasn't bad at all. Like I said, they're good kids.
@UncleJoe (10872)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I would love to see their performance. M.A.S.H. was one of my favorite programs and movies. More realistic than most people know.
You'll have to come down for a visit then. I can even pass along some complimentary tickets.
@UncleJoe (10872)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@Platespinner I would like that. Let's see what March brings.
@PainsOnSlate (20579)
I love to see young people on stage, when I was young I was on stage often. Loved it, mever did anything on stage as an adult but still enjoy theater. I can't imagine four children in a two bedroom house, you really must be very creative.
It's only a 2 bedroom, but thankfully the rooms are pretty large. The girls share one bedroom, and we've managed to almost make it into two rooms by creative placement of bookshelves and a wardrobe. The boys occupy the basement, and my husband and I occupy the loft that overlooks the greatroom. The second bedroom is actually being used as our living room at the moment. The oldest son is supposed to move out in May, and then everything will be shuffled again.
You are very creative and if it works for you and your family that's all you need...@Platespinner
I love this photo, it's so sweet. I imagine you appreciate not having any commitments backstage.
I'm definitely going to enjoy this production without the stress that I would be under if I was busy with costumes!
@Platespinner I am sure this is the case.
So this was no real drama. I am disappointed (lol) The last 4 of the siblings and that included me created real dramas that could have been acted on stage. We loved each other but had issues.
I have a very low tolerance for drama and I think they all know that. They're good kids.
@Platespinner No mothers will tolerate real dramas but they have to live with them
@inertia4 (27713)
That is so cool. They must be talented to be doing state plays. Hopefully they will break into movies and broadway at some point. I know what you mean about not having enough space. I hardly have enough space when my kids come to stay with me. But we do manage.
No state plays, just a local community theatre (and this area probably has a dozen small theatre groups). I don't think any of them are really interested in "making it big." They do it because they enjoy it and they enjoy working with the other folks who are involved.
@inertia4 (27713)
@Platespinner That's okay. But you never know, that is how movie stars are found. It happens just like that. And because they enjoy it so much that makes it way better.
Oh my, what will you do when one of them becomes really famous? Worse of course is if all of them do
None of them have dreams of making it big, and if perchance it happens....I hope they don't become like so many celebrities!
It's usually not the celebrity that's the problem @Platespinner it's those blasted paparazzi who can't seem to keep their opinions out of their articles, they slander them and lead us, or try to anyway, into believing that Mike or Britney or Paris is doing this or that when most likely none of them are doing anything like they want us to believe.
Wow,I was wondering about that outfit before reading your post.
The costume was part of our pre-Christmas candlelight tours in a local historic hone. But the book she has in her hands is the script for MASH.
@Platespinner That is good. Thanks for letting me know.