Errors and Smudge Pots

Bunbury, Australia
I've made a mistake in my post about horizontal horizons. I said that a pole in the middle of the photo was a light which comes on to prevent frost from forming in the orchard. As I wrote it I was wondering how a simple light or even a heated lamp could prevent frost. John Roberts (@JohnRoberts) mentioned that 'smudge pots' were used to prevent frost. I had never heard of these so Googled it and showed Vince the resulting photos. That's when I got reminded that the pole in the orchard actually supports a mini wind turbine. Simply moving the air around in the area prevents the frost from settling on the fruit trees and damaging them. Smudge pots, also known as choofas, boil oil. They have a large, round base with a chimney protruding from the middle. The burning oil creates some heat but more importantly it creates a smog or blanket which blocks infra-red light thereby preventing or minimising frost. I'm sorry about the error but had you ever heard of smudge pots? The photo is of some of Donnybrook's apricots.
@owlwings (39236)
• Cambridge, England
Yes, I had heard of smudge pots they are used in some orchards here, especially where it is in a frost hollow. I did wonder about your description of a light to prevent frost but, as the post was mainly about sloping horizons, I didn't wonder further! The apricots look mouthwatering! No horizon line to worry about there!
I hate making mistakes but sometimes I get carried away and don't think things through properly. It was hardly worth telling everyone in each comment. I can only hope they'll read this post too. I don't suppose it is too big a deal but I did want to try to correct. We were given some figs today too which are equally as mouth-watering as these apricots were.:)
I knew about them using wind and smudge pots to prevent frost, but had no idea how the smudge pots worked, the wind part I got
There were only a very few in the area where the photo was taken. I wouldn't have thought they'd have made much difference but I guess they did.
@JudyEv i would guess they know what they need, and if more were needed they'd have more
@Jessicalynnt That's what I thought. They would have, or would have sourced the knowledge they needed.
• Eugene, Oregon
I lived in southern California during high school and for some years after. When I moved there ins 1955, there were still orange groves in the Disneyland parking lot. It was Orange County, so I do remember smudge pots.
It seems an odd name - smudge. Is the county called 'Orange' because of the orange groves?
• Eugene, Oregon
@JudyEv Once upon a time, yes. Most were paved over for malls, freeways, and houses. Maybe @Deborahdiane could tell us. She lives in Orange county.
• Laguna Woods, California
@JamesHxstatic and @JudyEv - Just 17 years ago, when we moved to Irvine in the center of Orange County, there were still orange groves. There was one surrounding the local junior college, and anyone could stop and pick all the oranges they wanted. Now, I still see the random orange tree that is used in landscaping private homes, and we have one by our house (as well as a lemon tree and a lime tree), but you no longer see orange groves anywhere in the county. It is shocking that so much has changed in such a short period of time.
Nice that you have clarified but I can assure you I will not make use of those smudge pots in my garden
Do you get frosts there? I think parts of India might get colder than I imagine.
@JudyEv You are right. Certain parts of India do get snow but not where I live.
@allknowing I always think of India as hot and humid but that is obviously way too simplified.
I wouldn't have known the difference, though I did wonder how a light could do that. Thanks for the clarification. It's suppertime and wouldn't you know it, you have fruit on display. I could just reach through and choose one of those lovely apricots.
They look lovely don't they?
@JudyEv Yes they do.
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
I am rather confused as to how circulating air can prevent frost.
@Asylum (48281)
• Manchester, England
@JudyEv That makes sense and is explained adequately by you.
So in a roundabout way you were right, even while you were wrong. The pole still helps with preventing frost, just not in the way you had said before. Smudge Pots, it sounds like a word I've heard before, but as for associating it with anything? Nope, just sounds familiar.
It was a silly mistake to make as I knew very well it wasn't heat it was putting out. It just sort of slipped my tiny mind. I don't know where the term 'smudge pots' comes from. It sounds like it should come from somewhere!
@JudyEv "Smudge Pots" makes me think of cleansing ones homes, so it makes me think of "smudging" and I guess one would use a "pot" for that. I don't know, almost seems tribal in some way.
I've heard of them, but had no idea what they are.
That's your new piece of information for the day. You can relax now.
Never heard of them.
In that case, you have learnt something new for the day. :)
• Preston, England
clever idea to help protect the fruit
Cherries which are also grown here need frosts but it is not so good for other fruits and for vegetables.
@silvermist (20100)
@JudyEv No,I have never heard of smudge pots.But now I know .Those Apricots look so inviting.
It seems a bit of a strange name really. I'm not sure how it came about.
I never heard of smudge pots before. Interesting discussion.
Thanks. They are new to me too.
@sueznewz2 (9997)
• Alicante, Spain
I've not heard of either..., and now aall I can think about is those delicious looking apicots lol
Did you see the photo of the peaches we were given? Umm, so nice.
@Inlemay (16550)
• South Africa
not sure what to think of burning oil causing a little air pollution - ha ha ha, all that effort to help the plants - amazing what we do - Never hear of a smudge pot at all until now
I've never heard of them in Australia.