Saint Martin

@garymarsh6 (14429)
United Kingdom
Saint Martin was our next destination in the Caribbean. It is also known as Sint Maarten as half the island is Dutch and half the island is French. This island was probably the one I was most looking forward to visiting for a very special reason which I will come to later. I pre-booked a trip around the island before I left the UK. It was my friends birthday in October so I suggested I book this island tour for her and her partner as her birthday gift. We set off on our tour of the French side and visited a beautiful beach we stayed there for just over an hour and a half then headed off to a local town to have lunch. Boy was the food good with a French and Caribbean mixture of food although the portions were absolutely massive. After lunch we headed off through the mountains and over to the Dutch side and headed to a wonderful beach called Maho beach. This was to be the highlight of our day. The beach is famed for being at the end of the runway of the International airport named after Queen Julianna of the Netherlands. It is certainly a sight to watch the planes coming into land right over your head with feet to spare just before they touch down on the runway. We had around an hour here and watched a few planes landing and taking off. We had a great time here. We then got back into the minibus and headed back to the port. Rather than put a photo of planes coming into land I thought I would introduce you to some of the local inhabitants. These are beautiful green Iguana's.
That is so cool. A herd of iguanas.
@garymarsh6 (14429)
They are beautiful creatures. Very good at swimming. This was right near a beach.
I thought you were scared of snakes! But iguanas are okay? I've seen clips of those planes coming into land. I think it would be nearly impossible not to duck as they come overhead.
@garymarsh6 (14429)
I hate snakes but lizards I am not to bothered by. I have heard some horror stories about snakes in Australia over the past few weeks Judy which has put me off even more about coming to Australia. I think NZ would be fine as they do not have snakes there!
@garymarsh6 I didn't know they didn't have snakes in NZ. I know there are none in Ireland. I keep hoping maybe you'd consider coming to Australia one day but obviously the media has really got to you.
@garymarsh6 (14429)
@JudyEv Not only the media. A family member told me they have only seen a brown snake once in their garden.........I told them I didn't care what bloody colour it was I am not coming!
@Gillygirl (17372)
• Sutton, England
I haven't heard of Saint Martins Island it sounds much nicer than Antigua. The beach must be noisy though. Love the Iguanas. Can the cruise you took be done without flying? Hubby and I are looking for a special cruise to see places we've never been to before. He's not keen on me flying any longer than about 3 hours due to my COPD
@garymarsh6 (14429)
No afraid not. You have to fly one way usually back from the Carribean or Florida which is around 8 hours. There are some cruises from Southampton Gilly. Our cruise last May was from Southampton and was brilliant. Barcelona, Corsica, Rome, Pisa, Genoa, Marseille, Gibraltar back to Southampton. A super cruise.
@Gillygirl (17372)
• Sutton, England
@garymarsh6 Thanks Gary, we've been to Barcelona and Gibraltar but would love to see the other places. A flight back from Gibraltar would be manageable for me. We'll have to have another look at what is available.
@KristenH (24988)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Wish I was there. Lovely beaches. Though no ' in iguanas.
@garymarsh6 (14429)
We only saw them in one place. The other beaches we went to there were none probably because they were too busy.
@KristenH (24988)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@garymarsh6 You got lucky to see them there.
It's nice.
@garymarsh6 (14429)
YEs it was beautiful there.
@garymarsh6 Really different, isn't?
• Uzbekistan
I experienced planes landing right beside the beach in Sardinia. A strange feeling.
@garymarsh6 (14429)
Quite exhilarating when they are passing a few metres above your head!
@xFiacre (5244)
@garymarsh6 That sounds worth the effort going to.
@garymarsh6 (14429)
It was the highlight of my trip!
I have heard a lot about this place.I like the local inhabitants better than the plane.LOL
@garymarsh6 (14429)
It is lovely there probably one of my favourite islands we visited.
@suhail1 (940)
• Manila, Philippines
i would love to go and experience the jet blast
@garymarsh6 (14429)
It was good fun! Mostly men standing right there while the ladies stood well back!
@suhail1 (940)
• Manila, Philippines
@garymarsh6 they better haha
It was a generous gift to book a trip to there for your friend and her partner.I think it is a breathtaking view to watch the planes skimming your head so close.
@garymarsh6 (14429)
It was a brilliant day trip we had a great time and they were fascinated by it too!
We love St. Martin. We stay on the Dutch side and eat on the French side when we visit. Love Front Street for linens. I've seen iguanas here in FL, but never in St. Martin. They are quite harmless.
@garymarsh6 (14429)
It was my favourite island and also Barbados. The iguanas were on the French side.
@garymarsh6 I've never been to Barbados. My brother and wife go every year to St. Martin. He has a timeshare there. However, since he bought his condo in Florida next to ours two years ago, he hasn't used it.
@garymarsh6 (14429)
@DianneN Well I guess it is nearer and probably less hassle to go to Florida than St Martins.
@Inlemay (17041)
• South Africa
Those are some fierce looking lguana's My brother would have loved to see them. Eeeeeek not me
@garymarsh6 (14429)
They are harmless and would not hurt you!
@Inlemay (17041)
• South Africa
@garymarsh6 I know they are more afraid of me than I of them, but they look so BEASTLY
Reading your travel posts is like re-living my own experiences. Those planes really do seem to be just inches above your head.
@garymarsh6 (14429)
Great fun isn't it Janet!
@garymarsh6 Too true
@moffittjc (45390)
• Gainesville, Florida
When I saw your photo, I thought maybe you were in south Florida, here in the States. It seems iguanas have taken over the ecosystem in the southern part of the state, and they are breeding like crazy since they have no natural predators here in Florida (they are considered an invasive species). I'm wondering how long it will be until the giant pythons (another invasive species) figures out that they have an almost unlimited supply of food available with all the iguanas running around! I've seen YouTube videos of the airport in St. Martin, and it is crazy how close those big jets come to the people on the beach! It's amazing!
@garymarsh6 (14429)
I think Guam are over run by snakes. People even get bitten in their sleep. Fortunately the poison fangs are right at the back of their mouths so they only just bite people. I think they have security guards at the airport and sniffer dogs to grab the snakes as they do not want them entering aircraft.
@moffittjc (45390)
• Gainesville, Florida
@garymarsh6 Reminds me of the movie Snakes on a Plane! I guess they certainly don't want any of those slithery reptiles sneaking on board!
Everyone I know who has been there loves st Martin
@garymarsh6 (14429)
I loved the atmosphere there it was great!
What a cool picture of the iguanas.
@garymarsh6 (14429)
They were beautiful Marie wallowing in the sun!
Just knowing that I could encounter some iguanas is enough for me to stay away from there.
@garymarsh6 (14429)
They are harmless Marlina. I would protect you!