Another DNA Update

@Hate2Iron (7356)
I forgot to tell you this, but with my message saying that my sample had arrived in Ireland, it instructed me to get working on my tree because they will be using it to look for matches. Okay, I have on one Ancestry and that is where they are going to be looking when they try to find cousin matches for me. They will look at other people who have taken DNA tests that have some of the same surnames on their trees... So, if you are considering having your DNA tested, I really recommend going over and start building a free tree on Ancestry.com You are going to know your parents and grandparents and with a little asking around, you might find a few more people to add. That's how I started, and then I started talking to my mom... which opened a floodgate lol!! And then she started asking around. It doesn't take long!! And it's a great way to kill a snowy afternoon!
• Peoria, Arizona
Genealogy is amazing. I want to do the DNA test and my grandma has already built a massive family tree on there. Glad you have enjoying your time!
@Hate2Iron (7356)
It is amazing to see all those names... that actually helped to make you!!
• Peoria, Arizona
@Hate2Iron It is amazing, you can really see who you are related to and the history!
@Hate2Iron (7356)
@DesirousDreamer The test will scour all of the other DNA doners to see if anyone else has similar DNA to me. That's where the cousins come in. It will also tell you where my DNA originally came from... And we are talking 1000s of years ago! That should be really cool!! I'm back to 1700s in my own research... the sample that I sent will searc even further back!
Great advice for those who wish to have their DNA tested. I was able to do a family tree for my French and English ancestors, with the help of @topffer for the French. So much fun to go so far back in time.
@Hate2Iron (7356)
It is isn't it. I can't help but wonder if history in school wouldn't have been a lot more facinating if we could have used our own family... as stepping stones through the past!!
@Hate2Iron That would definitely be a wonderful part of the history curriculum. With the technology today, history classrooms could easily accomplish this. Of course, all use of technology would have to be closely monitored by teachers for this project, and parents would have to give permission, but what a great idea.
We had a lot of stuff of Ancestry but we seem to have lost it during the switch to Windows 10. We do have paper copies so it's just a matter of putting it in again.