Vintage Bunnies and Chicks

The Easter chicks and bunnies I have are made of paper mache. Each paper mache figure is stamped with "Germany" on the bottom. German makers of figures like the ones I own were either made in Germany by Carl Schaller or Richard Mahr a very long time ago. I know my father, his older sister, and older brother received these papier-mâché chickens and bunnies, containing candy, as Easter gifts. Dad was born in 1921, his sister in 1918 and his brother in 1916. The bunnies and chicks have been around for quite a long time. Not all the paper mache figures I have are in mint condition, but they sure are cute, except for those two bobble-head bunny rabbits. They are scary!
I can easily pick which ones are the scary ones! I've always wanted to have a go at papier-mâché.
I remember we made paper mache pumpkins in school, and that was fun, but messy. It would be fun to make something a bit more complicated using paper mache.
@Corbin5 No sure I'd like the mess but I was always a bit jealous when kids at school made papier mache but our class never did.
@JudyEv Well, then you need some newspaper cut in strips, some flour and water and a balloon. You blow up the balloon, cover it with newspaper strips dipped in the water and flour mixture, and when dry, stick a pin into the round shape to pop the balloon. You will have a big round paper mache something!!!!! Add some paint, and a work of art you will have!!!
@fluffysue (1430)
Haha the bunnies *are* creepy, I wasn't going to mention it, but since you did.. The rest of them are cute, and they are all very nice mementos to have.
Whoever made those creepy bunnies must have been having one really bad day or week.
@fluffysue (1430)
@Corbin5 I don't know, if you look at old pictures of kids with the Easter bunny, the bunnies often look kind of creepy. It seems like it's just something about the depiction of bunnies at that time!
@fluffysue I am going to try and find a photo of more creepy bunnies from back in the day. Poor bunnies.
That is quite a collection! I find those two quite scary myself!
They certainly are scary!! They are bobble-heads too! Will take those, along with so many other things, to the antique store and see if they have value. Worth a shot.
@Corbin5 Anything is worth a shot. Good luck! I'm sure they are worth something.
Haha I thought the same thing about the creepy cheesy bunnies. I am truly amazed at how old these are yet in such amazing shape!
I wish they were in mint condition, but knowing how often they must have been handled by little ones is worth a bit of wear and tear.
@Corbin5 That is true but I think they are in lovely shape for their age :-)
• Lakewood, Colorado
These are very precious Deborah. I have never seen these types of figurines.
I did not know they existed until I went through all the boxes stored in my parents' home. They are darling little things, except for those scary, bobble-head rabbits.
• Lakewood, Colorado
@fishtiger58 (29387)
• Momence, Illinois
Those are very cool, I do love the old stuff.
The creator should have given those scary bunnies a less-scary appearance. Yikes.
@fishtiger58 (29387)
• Momence, Illinois
@Corbin5 Yea they are a bit creepy.
I think some kids might be afraid of those things - I think I am too!
The chickens are cute, but the bunnies are really scary-looking.
@Corbin5 I would have nightmares!
What a wonderful collection
Thank you. They certainly are unique, but the scary bunnies are a bit much.
@FayeHazel (9441)
WOw, it's like a piece of history. Thanks for sharing, I think it's great you kept them
They really are unique, that's for sure. No candy in those, but it would have been really OLD candy for sure.
@masood72 (4159)
• Amersfoort, Netherlands
nice machine you are discussing here that you father had
They really are interesting to look at.
They look really cute, they might be worth a bit too.
Maybe just a bit, but they are not in mint condition, but worth an appraisal.
@Hate2Iron (7310)
lOL... i THINK that I just picked out the scary ones lol!!
They sure do freak me out. Their heads bobble too.
@LoriAMoore (8873)
Very cool that you held onto those.
Well, my grandparents and parents saved everything, and I went through boxes in the basement and saved all things that could be of value and those things that had wonderful memories attached.
Oh my goodness, I think those bunnies will induce nightmares tonight! They are so terribly evil!
They do have an evil look and their heads bobble too!
@Gillygirl (15260)
• Sutton, England
You have a lovely collection. I'm not keen on the bunnies though, they have horrid grins.
The bunnies are frightening and their heads bobble too. Yikes!
Those are pretty cool looking collectables there.
Well, the rabbits with the scary faces are bobble-heads, and that makes them even more scary to me.
these are very collectible.I loved it
I am sure my dad and his siblings were delighted by these on Easter. It is sweet that on the bottom of one of the figures, my grandmother wrote "Kathleen Ruth," the name of my father's sister.
• Preston, England
the rabbits do look quite sinister - great collectibles
Those rabbits, bobble-heads by the way, look rather evil to me.
@dragon54u (31301)
I love old things like this! They certainly look different from the bunnies and chicks produced today, don't they? I love vintage and antique things, particularly toys. It seems that the old stand-bys like blocks, wagons, balls and such entertain no matter what year it is and will probably remain favorites forever. They made beautiful china figures in that era, too. I used to have some but had to sell them and they brought a nice price.
Yes, I plan to sell all I have here. I did get vintage marbles, belonging to my dad appraised, and the price was a good one.
• Denmark
I've never seen figures made of paper mache. Usually, they're made of wood.
According to my research, Carl Schaller made paper holiday figures that included paper mache candy containers in Neustadt-by-Coberg, in Bavaria, in west central Germany. I read that the business started by Schaller, in 1894,is still around today and run by the Schaller family. Then, in 1900, the Richard Mahr company, also know as Marolin, was started by Richard Mahr in Steinach, Thuringia and the company also made paper mache figures. The wooden ones sure would have held up better than the paper mache ones that I have here.