Some Anzac Day Parades Being Cancelled in Australia

Bunbury, Australia
Anzac Day is possibly Australia's most important national occasion. It marks the anniversary of the first major military action fought by Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) forces during World War I. This happened on April 25th 1915 when the Anzacs landed at Gallipoli. Eight thousand Australian and New Zealand soldiers died in the ensuing campaign. The event is often regarded as the day Australia came of age. Every Anzac Day, almost every town in the country holds a service to commemorate the death of so many of our young men in all wars. However this year, 2017, four Anzac Day marches have already been cancelled in the state of New South Wales. The State Government has introduced new anti-terrorism requirements. Compliance with these would cost the RSL (Returned Servicemen League) clubs thousands of dollars which they say they can't afford and which, at the moment, the State and Federal Governments are refusing to be pay for. . One of the requirements is the installation of barriers to prevent similar attacks to those in Nice and Berlin where trucks were driven into crowds. There are already compulsory traffic management measures to be met and the RSL clubs say they cannot afford the new requirements. Hopefully some compromise will be reached. And I guess the problem will have to be addressed in the other states too. Photo is of Vince and me in a previous life ready to march in an Anzac Day Parade as part of one of the many brass bands. This is the 'before' photo. In the 'after' photo we're not smiling because we're short of breath and our feet hurt.
@louievill (18928)
It's exactly what terrorists wants to happen, that we get paranoid and seems like they have partially succeeded. There is nothing wrong with taking the necessary precautions though, these guys are really spoiling our fun around the world to push their agenda. Nice picture
That's very true. We really need to take what precautions we can but then carry on with our parades and commemorations.
@louievill (18928)
@JudyEv they are spoiling our fun, it wasn't like this before especially during our time, now we have to be weary even when we are just in the mall with our families. I came from a time when only rain spoiled parades
@louievill That's true and it was the same for us. Never locked our cars or our houses. It's all changed.
@Gillygirl (17340)
• Sutton, England
It is so sad that terrorists are causing these cancellations. My cousin in Adelaide is fuming. It is in a way giving in to terrorists. Lovely photo of you both.
So far it is only one state but it is highly likely others will follow. Thanks for the compliment. :)
@Gillygirl (17340)
• Sutton, England
@JudyEv They must be because he's put a rant on Facebook.
@valmnz (12755)
• New Zealand
Interesting. I wonder if similar moves will be taken in New Zealand.
So far it is only affecting clubs in the Blue Mountains region of New South Wales.
That is terrible not to have Anzac Day parades.
I can a public outcry if they go ahead with the cancellations.
That's a beautiful photo.
Thanks. We had some good times with the band. :)
@cahaya1983 (10043)
Must be disappointing for those who have been looking forward to the parades. But knowing the horrible things that are happening around the world today, I think they have a good reason for setting those new requirements.
That's true but we stop everything that has the potential to be dangerous, we'll stop doing everything. It is difficult to know what is best.
You have not really changed in looks much......but I haven't seen you wearing that hat lately. My looks have changed considerably over the years.
The hats had to stay with the band. Vince's beard is now nearly white. Some of my old school friends are unrecognisable but they mostly say I haven't changed.
awe, that is a cute photo!
You're just saying that!
@JudyEv your hubby reminds me of the actor Nick Frost (hot fuzz, The World's End, etc)
@Jessicalynnt Never heard of him (Nick Frost, not my husband).
I learned about that awful day when we visited Gallipoli in Turkey and then the gravesite. New York City has put up those barriers years ago. Love your photo! You both look quite spiffy! Here's one of our photos from Gallipoli.
I have a feeling 'we' don't know much about wars other than those our countrymen has been involved in. Thanks for the photo. We haven't been to Gallipoli but we went to French sites where we lost thousands of our young men. There were also many Americans at Bayeux near where the Normandy landings took place.
@JudyEv I'm still learning, obviously. It's such a shame to lose so many young men due to wars. It gives me goosebumps every time I see former battlefields, monuments, and memorials.
@DianneN It was very sobering to come across these cemeteries. I saw hundreds and hundreds of crosses in cemeteries around Villiers-Brettoneux with the words 'Known Unto God' instead of a name. Heart-breaking stuff.
You look dapper in your uniforms.
Thanks. It is interesting how a uniform affects your outlook. I always felt I stood up straighter in a uniform. Vince is certainly standing up straight here!
@Inlemay (16654)
• South Africa
You can play the TUBA? Great photo - nice looking young couple that have now become a nice looking mature couple
Aww, thanks.
@averygirl72 (16635)
I like the photo. Nice to know about this occasion in Australia sadly it needs to be cancelled
It is a great shame that it is cancelled but perhaps that decision can be changed.
@Freelanzer (9363)
Too bad you may miss the march this year but safety first and you have good memories of the last one. Great photo.
We haven't been in a band for years and at the moment the only marches cancelled are in another state. But it could happen here too.
@DWDavis (11617)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
It is a shame the government won't foot the cost of providing safety for the parades in NSW. The city closest to me tried to make the Veterans groups pay for security and cleanup along the parade route for our Veterans Day Parade years ago. The public outcry when this hit the news was tremendous, and the city backed down.
I have a feeling that might happen here. Despite fears to the contrary some years ago, patriotism and the need to recognise the sacrifice of our military personnel in all wars has been growing steadily rather than dying away. There will be a huge public outcry if services are stopped.
What a shame. What great history.
By Anzac Day, there might be so much kerfuffle that a compromise will be reached.
That's such a shame, though I understand why, with all the terrorism that's happened. I hope a compromise is found. Very nice picture of both of you.
• Eugene, Oregon
What a handsome pair of musicians you two are! Gallipoli was such a huge ill-fated fiasco.