Training Your Imagination

Riga, Latvia
If you are really interested in writing I think it is necessary to train your imagination. In other words you should be able to forget reality and place yourself anywhere in any kind of situation at any time. Let me explain what I mean. I will tell you about a little exercise I did which worked great for me and in turn created a whole list of ideas about things that I could write. I was sitting and snacking on one of my favorite sweet combinations – strawberry preserves by spoonful with spoonfuls of sour cream. Outside it was very cold and wet snow was falling. It got my imagination going. Sitting in this tiny cabin at the edge of the forest I was practically snowed in. Outside the north wind howled at the windows and the snow kept falling. Soon it turned into a blizzard. I was comfortable because the fire in the fireplace blazed brightly. I sat in the tiny kitchen at a small wooden table having my favorite snack strawberry preserves and sour cream. I knew that once night fell in the distance I could hear wolves howl. In the meantime I was having a cozy afternoon and after I finished with my snack I would curl up by the fire and do some reading. At the moment life was good and I could dream away the winter until the beauty of spring arrived to my little corner of the world. Well did I take you there to that cabin? I felt like I was there. You could try training your imagination any way you like and let us know what you came up with. I’ve included a photo of Sid in the snow.
In this case, imagination means a lot.
Things like that are done in writers' workshops I believe.
• Riga, Latvia
Never went to a workshop but my imagination developed from childhood since I was an only child creating my own worlds @MALUSE I think people can create and imagine on their own but if they can no reason to attend a workshop.
@RasmaSandra What you're saying here sounds reasonable. Yet, I've often read about authors that they attended courses in creative writing.
• Riga, Latvia
@MALUSE the trouble with creative writing at school from what I remember was that when I got too creative my teacher shot me down and said I was being too imaginative. Even at university when I tried to let the creative juices flow I felt like I was having my wings clipped. I am sure there are great adult creative writing classes but I am also sure that Shakespeare and Poe never attended any creative writing classes so I'll join their ranks. Just saying of course I know I could never write like these to talented authors but it is nice to dream.
Yes, you definitely made me feel like we were in that cabin. My imagination needs some tweaking
• Preston, England
it is a great way to trigger our imaginations - Sid looks quite at ease in the snow there
• Riga, Latvia
We have so much snow now that he had to get used to it otherwise he couldn't go out at all @arthurchappell
• Preston, England
@RasmaSandra he's adapting well
You have a lovely imagination
• Riga, Latvia
I was an only child and through the years my imagination developed. As a child I even created my own upside sown world @paigea
@RasmaSandra I loved reading, and escaping that way. I never seem to develop my imagination beyond that.
• Peoria, Arizona
I have a very vivid imagination. I like to do pantomime at times because it helps my imagination still see a world far different than ours. We all have our ways to strengthen our imagination. It is amazing what you can do.
• Riga, Latvia
It is always great to keep our minds open and our imagination working @DesirousDreamer
• Peoria, Arizona
@RasmaSandra Yep! Never too old to have a vast imagination.
@Julie555 (2552)
I joined Your imagination
• Riga, Latvia
Glad to have you along @Julie555
@cahaya1983 (10067)
I agree, imagination is key when it comes to creative writing. I also think the choice of words is important, because they make the scenes and settings appear real. Nice piece!
• Riga, Latvia
Thank you. You are absolutely right about word choice and the writing of course has to make sense @cahaya
@Deepizzaguy (10504)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
Thank you for sharing this information on how to write something based on my imagination.
• Riga, Latvia
It is not difficult to do you can try by sitting down and then imagining you are somewhere else perhaps even riding a train @Deepizzaguy beside in this way you can get ideas and then just sit down at the PC and write up something.
Yes, you did take me to the cabin and the strawberry preserves were delicious! I did not put sour cream on mine.
• Riga, Latvia
That choice of sour cream and sweet preserves comes from my childhood when I loved to eat sweet things and drink buttermilk with them @Corbin5
Nice piece. I agree that we need to develop our imaginations if we're going to be a good writer.
• Riga, Latvia
By imagining different circumstances and situation we can even get ideas for different posts @JudyEv