Outhouse photo by me: Do you have these in your area?

Outhouse by Pat Z Anthony taken in North Carolina
@PatZAnthony (12342)
Charlotte, North Carolina
After reading a post by @jaboUK concerning her grandparents, it seemed a good time to share a photo of an outhouse that we took a bit ago. No one uses the outhouse as far as we know, but the people who own the land seem to want to keep it there and we appreciate being able to take a picture of this antique. There is a link to the article by @jabloUK below. Some here might remember such things from their childhood. Some might even live where these are still used. Have you taken any photos of outhouses in recent years.
Life for my grandparents was very different from how things are today. When I was a child in the 1940s they had no electricity or indoor plumbing. The toilet...
That's interesting that the owners have preserved it. They were usually positioned as far away from the house as possible, but in England that just meant at the bottom of the garden. Thank you for the mention Pat.
@PatZAnthony (12342)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
This may have been at the back before the roads went through. We have seen many farms/homesteads divided by new roads. If they had to use it today, they would have to cross the street!
I am sure there are still many in deep rural areas where there is no piped water.
@PatZAnthony (12342)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Not having water in the area is something that would really require an outhouse to be available.
@PainsOnSlate (20084)
My grandfather had a outhouse - a three seater, the middle seat was small for the children. I remember sitting there. When my parents were building their country home they first built a small building so we could live in it while the house was being built. It had bunk beds from my brother and I and my sister was in a baby bed, mom and dad's double bed was near us and it had electricity, and a kitchen (very simple). We had an outhouse not far from the Chicken coop - I call it the chicken coop because we knew that when we moved into the big house the chickens would move into out tiny house...
@PatZAnthony (12342)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
The story goes that those with more than one seat were wealthy.
@PatZAnthony I never heard that , I'll look it up.
@PatZAnthony (12342)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
@PainsOnSlate Guess it was once a shared experience.
It sure looks better than those newer contraptions they have now!
@PatZAnthony (12342)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
It actually does. The owners seem to be taking good care of this little space.
@PatZAnthony It's quite nice for an outhouse.
@PatZAnthony (12342)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
@DianneN It actually is, considering some we have seen in the back woods areas!
• Portland, Connecticut
I have, there is an amazing on Thomas Jefferson's property Poplar Forest.
@PatZAnthony (12342)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Never saw that one, but guessing it would be better than what we found here.
• Portland, Connecticut
@PatZAnthony it is an octagon. Quite adorable
@marsha32 (6689)
I don't think many would be in use around here, but as a child I sure remember them. Every one of my dad's relatives had outhouses and I hated it!! I was mostly scared that a snake would be in there....or that a spider or a wasp was going to bite my butt. Most of these relatives lived in Missouri.
@PatZAnthony (12342)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Imagine years back in the bitter cold-this is what there was. No one had indoor plumbing.
We don't have any outhouses in our area that I know of. Thankfully I've never had to use one
@PatZAnthony (12342)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Yes, so happy we have everything indoors!
In the good old days we had our toilets outside the house. They were regular constructed ones
@PatZAnthony (12342)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Yes, as odd as some may think this is, these were constructed well and often a thing of pride.
@garymarsh6 (13201)
Glad the people who own it have kept it there. It would be something to tell and show the kids who I am sure these days would never believe such things!
@PatZAnthony (12342)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Yes-there is the proof!
@FayeHazel (16496)
Oh yeah -- growing up rural MN we had one
@PatZAnthony (12342)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
It seems many have had such an experience. Oh, the memories!
@valmnz (12562)
• New Zealand
I remember the old smelly outhouses at campsites and picnic spots. Now we often see more hygienic portable loos.
@PatZAnthony (12342)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
There was a time when every proper home had one, from what we were told! Glad things are better.
@cahaya1983 (10060)
Some houses in the small villages here still have those. I last saw it many many years ago at my uncle's old house, but it's no longer there.
@PatZAnthony (12342)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Most were removed in our area as new homes were built or people installed plumbing.
@hereandthere (28879)
when we were growing up, we would visit our grandparents in the province. the toilet and bath were behind the house. you had to go to the kitchen and down the stairs to get there.
@PatZAnthony (12342)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
That is what many will recall from their childhood.
@Jam4321 (581)
• Jamaica
It's always good to have those cherished memories to look at every now and then. That is a good view of the one you took.
@PatZAnthony (12342)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Silly to some, but this photo does make one think!
I haven't taken any photos of them. Campgrounds still have them. We had one at our old place. It came in handy when the power was off.
@PatZAnthony (12342)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Yes, campgrounds would have these!
I have never seen an outhouse here, I have seen many when I visited historic districts in the United States. May be their use came from the British.
I a sure back in the hills there are probably many of the still in use...right next to the stills.
I remember these well. In our orchards there is often a toilet but it is usually a hired portable toilet.
@1hopefulman (26068)
Where I go apple picking they have one. They also use portable toilets at the Jazz festival and in some parks.
L.O.L No I have not seen one in many days but I am sue some exist especially her in Texas