I Have a Drinking Problem

Winston Salem, North Carolina
I have been a heavy drinker all of my adult life. I usually pour my first glass right after breakfast and contine sipping throughout the day until it’s time to go to bed. When I go anywhere I usually take a metal flask filled to the brim with me and that 28 ounce flask is usually empty by lunch time. There are downsides. On days when I forget my flask I’m likely to end up with a headache and if my dry spell lasts for more than a day my skin gets dry and rough and I run the risk of a UTI. I guess that means I have an addiction. There are worse things I could be addicted to. My drink of choice is water, and it seems I have more of a problem when I don’t drink than when I do. Over the course of a normal day I drink between 54 and 120 ounces of water. What about you? How much water do you normally drink?
Love the way you wove your way through your post & had us guessing. Water is my choice too (after my morning coffee) & drink about 64 ounces or more each day
My kids and I had been joking that we all have drinking problems. My husband is the only family member that doesn't drink a lot of water. He loves his sweet tea.
I am quite sober (lol)
I never said I wasn't sober.
@PlatespinnerAnyone addicted to anything even water is not sober - just joking (lol)
I don't know how much I drink but due to kidney issues I need to drink a lot. I do not get thirsty only rarely but I push myself too drink water so I won't get uti's or stones etc.
I only know how I drink because I use a one-and-a-half pint canning jar for water and on a normal day I usually empty it 3-5 times. If I don't get enough water, I end up paying for it.
@atoz1to10 (6829)
To tell you the truth, I rarely drink water. Every day I try to drink a couple max glasses of water, and I know I should drink more...
When I don't drink enough I end up paying dearly for the oversight.
@atoz1to10 (6829)
@Platespinner OK, is it because of your body gets used to the amount of water you have everyday? My daughter is the same, she drinks alot of water, bottle after bottle.
@atoz1to10 I actually started drinking more water because of a tendency to headaches and UTIs. I think our bodies naturally need more water than a lot of people drink. We lose a lot of water throughout the day through respiration, perspiration and elimination, natural functions that keep us healthy, it only makes sense that adequate hydration helps to keep things flowing smoothly.
@Jam4321 (581)
• Jamaica
I do drink water a lot...I am not a fan of bottled juice as they have too much sugar.
I try not to drink anything with sugar in it. Sugary drinks just make me thirsty.
@Jam4321 (581)
• Jamaica
@Platespinner They always make that happen that's why I totally avoid them.
@Morleyhunt (19750)
In the winter...not enough....in the summer a contant stream.
If I don't drink enough in the winter it feels like my skin is shrinking.
I do not drink nearly enough when I am at work, but I am trying to do better. For home I have a new stainless steel tall cup that is a quart. I set it on the table or desk filled up. I empty it and fill it again two to three times daily.
If you're emptying a quart cup 2-3 times a day you're drinking a decent amount of water. My drinking vessel of choice is a pint-and-a-half canning jar (it's what is in the photo) and I empty it 3-5 times a day
I drink a lot of water.
That's a healthy thing to do. Or so they say.
@Platespinner It's amazing.
@agent807 (719)
I didn't always like to drink water. I drunk water but not as much as I should, then I started drink more. It was a bottle, then two bottles, then three. One day while I was at work (working at a grocery store), I bought a gallon jug and drunk out of it, and realized I drunk it in the entire shift. So I stopped buying bottled water, and starting buying the jug. Then the amount of time it took to consume an entire gallon gradually went down from an eight hour shift to less than an hour. The fastest I have done was in ten minutes. On a normal day, I drink 2 gallons of water (big guy). If I am working hard enough and/or its hot outside, I can take down a third.
That's a LOT of water!
I definitely don't drink enough. When I was in the hospital, I drank a lot out of boredom, especially when I was bedridden.
I have a tendency to not drink enough this time of year, but the consequences are enough to keep me motivated.
I can relate, I drink about 4 cups per day myself. But what I really love to drink is milk, and if I don't have some I will get a dry mouth and throat, and a bit of a headache-funny how our body is isn't it? I need about half to almost the same amount of milk per day as water, but its a bigger "need" to me then the water is as it is more of a preference.
My body doesn't like milk, unless it's raw and unprocessed--and that's hard to come-by around here--so I don't usually drink milk at all.
i used to drink a lot until one night i was almost hit by a motorcycle and i made my mind to give up drinking cause it is really dangerous sometimes
I think I'll keep drinking. I have bigger problems when I stop.
• Peoria, Arizona
Oh you. The way you wrote that, haha! I drink probably 64-96 ounces a day and then I also have at least 40 ounces of tea. I have to have some cold tea during the day because it keeps me focused. Water is good for you, you are suppose to have Yaround 64 ounces a day anyway and if you are a person that that does a lot of stuff during the day it is needed.
@velvet53 (16522)
• Palisade, Colorado
I don't drink as much as I should and need to change that.
@AunBecky (143)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
My hubby fusses at me because I drink too much tea. He drinks water all day too after coffee of course.
• Midland, Michigan
It depends on the day, where I am and what I'm doing and how dry it is at either my house or at work. Lately I've been drinking two 20oz bottles while at work and one to two at home. If I'm not having water I've been having green tea, or celestial seasonings tea or OJ. In the summer months I drink a lot more than that especially when it's hotter outside. When I drink too much I'm up all night using the potty and then I don't get my rest. I can go a day or so without drinking much at all although I know it's not good for me it doesn't give me headaches or other ailments. My drink of choice is tap water with crystal light grape drink, but at work I can only have water without flavorings.
I am also a big water drinker. My doctor told me years ago that I should divide my weight by two and drink that many ounces of water daily.
@moffittjc (42985)
• Gainesville, Florida
I drink water like a fish all day long. Like you, if I miss out on my normal daily intake of water, I'll get a headache. I do intersperse my water intake with coffee, but that's mostly just in the morning. For years, I had a soda addiction, but I have no broken that addiction in favor of water.
@Hate2Iron (7859)
I try to drink 2 glasses of water with each meal... that would be 6 glasses @ 8 ounces... so I'm still behind you when it comes to how much water I'm drinking. Must try to work in anothr glass or two!
8 to 10 glasses of water but more depending on my workout and activities for the day.