Not Sure What to Do With All This

Not sure if I should keep, sell, or donate the contents of the suitcase that holds my dad's U.S. Navy uniforms. The suitcase is heavy as can be. The suitcase contains working uniforms, daily service uniforms, special situation uniforms, and dress uniforms. The emblem on both sides of the suitcase is marked " U.S. Naval Aviation." We do have a business nearby that buys military memorabilia, and I just may sell the suitcase and its contents. My brother is in possession of Dad's most important naval aviator items, but the uniforms belong to me.
What about seeing if a local museum would be interested in it?
Yes, I did find out that the items in the suitcase can be donated to a military museum.
@Corbin5 That would be great!
@Mike197602 (13363)
• Worcester, England
I'd keep it all personally. I've got my great grandads belt and medals from ww1 and I'd never sell them.
All the medals and WW2 items, other than the suitcase, have been given to my brother.
I think I would keep the uniforms, or check with a local museum if they would be interested in showing those uniforms.
I did do research online, and there are military museums who just may take some of the items.
@Corbin5 This would be the best place where to place those uniforms, it would be a shame to let them closed in a trunk.
@ramapo17 (22543)
• Melbourne, Florida
@LadyDuck I don't even know of a museum anywhere around. The last museum I ever knew of was in New York, The Museum of Natural History I live 20 hours away from there if it is even still there.
• Peoria, Arizona
I don't know if I could get rid of something like that. I would probably end up shadow boxing all of them. But that is all up to you. If you feel like other people could use it more than you, then perhaps donate.
Well, a military museum may be able to display some of the items. My brother and I do have many U.S. Navy items belonging to Dad that we will keep and hand down, so that is enough.
• Peoria, Arizona
@Corbin5 The museum would be great. I would keep at least one uniform though. Because he wore those and it probably meant a lot to him.
@Gillygirl (17278)
• Sutton, England
You really do have some good treasures. If you don't want the uniforms I am sure there will be an interest Certain. ex army, navy and RAF uniforms are salable in the UK
Yes, will have to decide what to do with these items.
The decision is up to you but I don't think I could part with something like that.
My brother has all Dad's military items, but not the suitcase or its contents.
I'd keep them
Yes, I have to decide. Not sure yet. Overloaded with things here that many do not want.
@Corbin5 I am so sentimental. It would be hard to part with my parents things.
@Tampa_girl7 Well, I did keep the most precious few things of my mothers, and I also have the few items of my Dad's that are special. It is really hard deciding what to keep, that is for sure.
Why not contact a military museum to see if they'd want to display them.
Yes, I found a few online and will do the contacting first.
How kool @Corbin5 Here at Ft Bliss they have a museum on base, do you have a military base near you?
@rebelann I will have to check. Ft. Sheridan in Highwood, IL, is no more. And I think the Naval base in the city of Chicago is gone too.
• Eugene, Oregon
If you can do that sale and get something for it, it would be a good thing. If not, there may be a local theater group that could take care of and make use of them.
@ramapo17 (22543)
• Melbourne, Florida
@Corbin5 Are there many military museums around by you?
@ramapo17 Well, there is a dealer here who sells them to military museums, but I do not know of one near us.
We had all my father's Army uniforms and medals etc. and my sister wound up with everything which i"m sure she found out wasn't worth much and tossed the stuff. If money was involved she tried to make some.
Well, we did keep military items that we knew we would cherish, but with so many items of my parents, we have to get rid of some.
@Corbin5 eventually many things get disposed of..we have things that I am sure will be trashed when we are gone.
@scheng1 (24812)
I think you just bring the item to the shop selling the military items. Over here, the military uniforms must be returned to the army. It is an offence to sell the uniforms. I think that is a good idea, because if the uniforms get into the wrong hands, the terrorists can pretend to be soldiers or police and cause more trouble.
Here, the military person owns the uniforms. I can see how current uniforms may fall into the wrong hands.
@ramapo17 (22543)
• Melbourne, Florida
@scheng1 That is an interesting thought. I never thought of it before. Makes sense.
@GreatMartin (4305)
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
No family members want any of the items?
@ramapo17 (22543)
• Melbourne, Florida
It is unfortunate that the younger generations do not want the things that mean so much to us unless they can sell it and make some money.
@Morleyhunt (19540)
These are the things that are so hard to deal with. Keep...donate...throw it away...pass it on to another family member. I think I had to tell my father for so many things...I don't need it, I won't use it, I have no room for it.....
I am running out of room for all of my parents' things, and my brother has chosen all U.S. Navy items he wanted belonging to Dad, so I will either sell or donate the suitcase and its contents.
@Morleyhunt (19540)
@Corbin5 this is not an easy decision. I'm sure many people will criticize your choice, but I totally understand and support your decision.
Yeah, why not make a little money if you can...ask your son first though, if he wants any of them..he might ya never know.
Yes, will ask Josh if he would like them before I donate or sell them. My brother chose all the U.S. Navy memorabilia he wanted, and I chose a few items too, but the suitcase with the clothes may be sold if Josh does not want them. Not sure where he would store them in his condo.
i know that feeling.we have dad's,my uncle's,and a smattering of civil war era stuff around.i pretty much keep one uniform and that's it.i don't have room for every occasion uniforms..
We do not have room here to store all things that belonged to my mom and my dad. My brother and I both chose military items of Dad's we want to keep, so those items are enough.
I'm certain there will be a buyer for this wonderful suitcase filled with such treasures!
Since my brother has all other naval items my dad owns, I think selling these would be the way to go since my brother is not interested in the suitcase or its contents.
@OreoBrownie (3491)
• Elberton, Georgia
They probably wouldn't be worth much at a pawn shop. However, you have made the first step. You put it in Facebook and there are collectors that use Facebook who might pay a decent price if they are old enough and in good condition.
Yes, since my brother has all Dad's other military items, I just may sell the suitcase items or donate them to a museum.
@tzwrites (4617)
Maybe selling them is a good idea, at least you make some money off them
Yes, we did keep military items belonging to my dad, but the suitcase the the uniforms are too hard to store.
I would ask the rest of the family if they have any suggestions, and if not, can you find a naval aviation museum? They would probably welcome a donation such as this.
Yes, a naval aviation museum just may take these items and display them.
• Pamplona, Spain
I donĀ“t know what to say there as it must be really hard to let the items go at the same time they might make you too sad? Me personally I would sell them. I got rid of the things that were going to be of use to me I just trashed them as they had no value at all like your things have. If its anything to go by I felt much better when I had trashed them all as I did not want another Mom to be to wear them so I let all of them go it was time to move on so I did. But not easy.
I do feel we have too many things of my parents and grandparents here and though stored in the basement, having too many things makes me nervous. Not a fan of clutter at all. My brother has Navy items from Dad, so he is all set. I kept a few things too, but that is enough. I just need one or two special things that reminds me of Mom or Dad, and I have those.
• Pamplona, Spain
@Corbin5 I would keep an album of photos of that kind of thing and let all the rest go if that is how you feel. Like I said I got rid of all that reminded me of what happened to me. In any case if was of no use to me or anyone. I had a photo of one of my second Cousins all proud of him with the braids and brass buttons on his Jacket he was in the Navy too.