Being online can cause problems in a marriage or relationship.

Dallas, Texas
I know I spend way too much time online. I have to admit this even though I contradict myself by being online just the same. When I am in my Man Cave, typing away at the keyboard, I am very well aware that I have compromised some quality time that I should therefore take action to spend it with my wife and even if I set at the couch and hate what is on the Television I know that it is the simple fact I am there sitting next to my wife and she and I exchange meaningful conversation or even just small talk at times. I have to try harder to balance the time I spend online, away from my wife, who I love more than life itself, and just walk away from my PC and put things down and go sit for a while with her. That said, I hope this discussion generates some quality of awareness to others. It's not all time wasted. It is sometimes very fruitful to write stuff online and get replies. But my only suggestion to myself, no one else, is for me, that I need to spend more quality time with my wife. It's just that simple.
@moffittjc (45238)
• Gainesville, Florida
Family time always comes before computer time for me. That's why I'm usually only on here early in the morning, or late at night. I make sure all my other obligations are handled first.
• Dallas, Texas
That is a good thing.
@moffittjc (45238)
• Gainesville, Florida
@lookatdesktop Yup! Got to keep everyone happy! But sometimes (like now), my girlfriend will be studying or doing a homework assignment for her college classes, so I'll get to jump on the computer while she's sitting next to me on her own laptop.
I think it depends a lot on the maturity of the people involved.
• Dallas, Texas
I think I am mature but still I know I should balance my time online with my time off line. You are correct about the maturity factor. Indeed it is evident that maturity plays a big role in how we spend our time online and off line.
@lookatdesktop You said it right... "Balance" can be the right factor to solve that problem.
My husband spends a lot of time online when he is home. He also spends a lot of time online when we are visiting my brother and his wife. It seems we are so locked into the lure of the internet that we forget what is most important. Many make this mistake. Some can't break the habit. Some balance it quite well. Kudos to you for realizing that your wife is most important.
• Dallas, Texas
I am only happy that she is there for me and me for her. The thing is, I know I would not be online today if it were not for the fact that we both have adjusted as it were, with the new technology. Just a few decades ago, before the internet became common place, we did go out a lot more and for this reason I am wanting to get things back the way they once were by spending more down-time with working things out in the real world in real time with computer turned OFF.
So glad you realized how valuable time together can be. Technology can really get in the way of meaningful interaction with others, which seems to not bode well for society as a whole. Just glad Sis forgot her phone when we visited my dad since she would be glued to that thing and conversation would have been limited.
• Dallas, Texas
My step son came over with his two youngest children and all 3 of them were online with their cell phones. It got in the way of the purpose of his visit which was, in essence trying to get us to be his full time baby sitters and when that did not work out, I was kind of happy that he preferred to text than to talk because it would have been a long drawn out argument from that point onward.
@lookatdesktop Yes, in that instance, the texting came in handy!
@nomus24g (24884)
This reminds me of a Divorce case that was filed by a female, who cited cruelty on husband's part...for neglecting her and remaining engrossed online with internet
• Dallas, Texas
OMG! That is terrible.
@nomus24g (24884)
@lookatdesktop and above it, the case got huge support from Feminists ...proves beyond doubt, how senseless they are
I think that is awesome that you feel that way. You want to know what I love about my people. When I am in jersey te computer is on the bed to the left and him to the right. It's a king bad so we have loads of space. We laugh,joke talk and god knows what else and my computer is never an issue. He knows i am always attached to the hip with mine. When g is here he is sleeping and I am sitting on the bed with the computer. When he wakes up sometimes he will ask me to move it. n of course I will. But they both respect what I do on it so for that they won't be bothered with it. I think your a sweet man to speak so nice about loving your wife.
• Dallas, Texas
Thanks. I appreciate that.
@lookatdesktop No problem.
That is one reason I got a lap top to be on. I can be on it and be in the room with my husband while he is watching TV. I do not watch that much TV but my husband does which is ok with me.
• Dallas, Texas
It takes time to adjust to the changes.
• Uzbekistan
Does your wife know your thoughts?
• Dallas, Texas
Pretty much. She owns a Kindle Fire. lol. She is aware of my time spent here in the Man Cave which is basically a walk in closet of a second bedroom not being use for it's original purposes as a bedroom. lol
@garymarsh6 (14430)
Yes real life takes preference over on line life!
• Dallas, Texas
But there are some exceptions. I have seen adults texting their lives across the world wide web via a smart phone as they walk to and fro in the retail stores, the public library and even walking into the post office. It's amazing how many are glued to the internet 24/7 and supposedly have a life off line.
I agree - being online does cut into spending quality time with those we love.
• Dallas, Texas
With all this on our plates I think we are basically on a learning curve with the latest internet technology. We are living in the early days of virtual living.
@LeaPea2417 (21997)
• Toccoa, Georgia
I try to balance my time also.
@sans224 (1832)
I reserve some time every day to spend with family Mostly in the evening I limit my online activities to an hour or 2 . More preference to the real life
That's why I'm only on here when my husband is at work and the kids are occupied with school work or doing other things. Once any of them need or want my attention I get off. It's a balance that needs to be had when you are married and have little ones. =)