Ah MLK day called "Great Americans Day" in a city . . .

Right here in the USA, in fact it was Biloxi which is south from me and I was pleasantly surprised to see a wonderful march in their downtown streets showing proud but not snobby ethnocentric-infused people ! It was a joyous moment in our history and it should be noted that to be great, we ALL have to show pride in what that truly is without letting that same pride keep us from we are: a united human race divided ONLY by gender and truly nothing else worth fighting about . . . My one regret about this day is I found out later that the city government is going to look into NOT letting it be known as Great Americans Day at all, anywhere, and that it will retain the same Martin Luther King Jr. Day title, theme, precedence historically and activities as in the past because some officials feel moving forward towards a greater America with the idea of a Great Americans Day is just not the way . . . Do you agree to keep the old name in that city or embrace what the communities there want to call it ?
I'm trying not to take sides in all this political stuff. I've never heard it called Great American's Day. Maybe it's a southern thing.
It is a most recent announcement, actually the day of it came on the news here so I thought it was a great way to unite us since for crying out loud we already have too many divisions within our human race, don't you think so @just4him ?
@enlightenedpsych2 Yes I do. We are all one human race, we need to act like it.
@just4him oh acting it is quite evident especially using the dividing lines as guides , those that should not be followed, those that should be replaced but the human race appears to be a huge failure in the likes of an actual intelligent race working simultaneously -- seems so far from actually happening, we NEED to educate ourselves better and evolve
• Riga, Latvia
I think it should remain as it is in honor of this great man. Perhaps they can use the idea to create another day for the pride and unity of America.
Yes Martin Luther King Jr was an amazing kind of man, one that was leading humanity into a good place and while honoring him is important, the name can still be recalled but the day itself can still be mentioned too so Americans and all people can actually be a part of something that makes America great . . . do I make sense @RasmaSandra ?
• Riga, Latvia
@enlightenedpsych2 yes you certainly do make a lot of sense.
@RasmaSandra to some of my family I don't make sense but as long as there are mom and some wonderful friends in my corner believing my sense is good to follow or at least pay attention to, then I am in a wonderful place-- that small specific evolving corner
I don't know...here in Virginia, it used to be known as Lee, Jackson, King Day. Strange bedfellows! That is Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson, along with Dr. King.
Again to the people that acknowledge those men as great should be also allowed to honor them, name them, celebrate and have a national day for it cause anything that is truly keeping America traditionally great when it is representative of a no-prejudice nor judgment allowed kind of tone, by all means keep it precious , right @snowy22315 ?
@GreatMartin (4305)
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
I am still against George Washington and Abraham Lincoln not having their own birthdays!!