"We KNOW you did it!"

This is not a fable...this is a true story. The two men from the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms sat down at my dining room table and began looking over their notes, before finally talking to me. "We have here a witness that states you were offered $5,000 to set the place on fire." "And the name of this person is?" I inquired. One of them said "We can't tell you that, our source requested anonymity, but we believe them." I asked if they were interested in buying a bridge. "Mr Ratcliffe, I don't think you comprehend the seriousness of our position. We have enough evidence right now to compel you to appear in Federal court. But we are giving you this opportunity to tell us your side of the story before we serve you with the subpoena." I laughed. "You guys are wasting my time. There is no subpoena." *whispered conversation between them* "This is your last chance. Either talk voluntarily now, or you will be required to appear in court." "No, I don't think so guys. I'll tell you what...you either serve the subpoena, or shut up and get out of my house. This interview is over." *whispered conversation* "We are going to withhold the subpoena for now Mr Ratcliffe, but we both think you need to reconsider your position." I laughed again. "You boys don't have a subpoena. You aren't going to 'withhold' anything. I was here...in the basement of my in-laws house...with my kids...25 miles away when that restaurant caught on fire. My wife had the car and was visiting friends in Olney. Now leave." And they left...and I never heard from them again. 6 months later, a private investigator for the company that insured the restaurant contacted me for an interview. After having an almost identical conversation with him, he attempted to drop one last bombshell. "Would you care to explain the suspicious fire that burned down the house you lived in north of Claremont? Fire seems to follow you around." I laughed...hard. The investigator asked me what I thought was so funny. And I told him "Haven't you done your homework? I moved out of that house two months before it 'caught on fire'. And if you would bother contacting the Claremont Fire Department, you would find out THEY set the fire, that it was burned as part of a fire exercise. This interview is now over. Please leave." And he left...and I never heard from him again. It wasn't the first time an agency tried to railroad me into confessing to something I didn't do...and it wouldn't be the last. And you know something? When you laugh in their face, and tell them they are full of (expletive deleted), they always seem to get mad for some reason. There is a reason I hold most 'authority figures' in disdain.
Dang, not even the authority figures can intimidate you ! I think I'd freeze and not be able to speak no matter what I knew was the truth !
I got acclimated to them at a young age...I've even had to remind the Judge of the law in open court before...kinda embarrassed him I think lol
@Morleyhunt (21376)
I'm sorry you are subjected to that.
Goes with the territory I guess...although the 'old-line' cops around here knew better...I've always been an 'Okay, you got me' guy so if I am saying I didn't do it, then they pretty much know it wasn't me. Young'uns and outsiders have to have it knocked into their thick skulls.
Why did they bug you? Authority figures do have a job to do. Some just do it a lot better than others.
When the feds (and private investigators) start knocking on my door, harassing me about stuff, and not even bothering to check things out before they do it, I think I am perfectly within my rights to be a bit miffed about it.
@JolietJake .....I do too. I would be reporting it also. They must have something against you.
That's awful that they treated you like that, but at least you could handle it. What about if they did it to some nervous wimpy guy? He'd probably confess just to get them off his back.
I've seen it happen. The police here have falsified federal documents and used them to coerce information from people that have no real knowledge of their rights. I told one guy he needed to contact a lawyer about some 'legal documents' that had been forged threatening to take him to court, and he said he didn't 'want to make them mad' at him...when they (authorities) begin using lies and falsifying things, I lose any respect for them I may have had...and I bluntly tell them so. And this is why some hate me, and some offer me respect back. I've always been a 'straight shooter' with them back in my criminal days...they had a job, that job, at times, was to arrest me. I accepted that. Trying to frame me/pin things on me I didn't do...well, then we have a problem.
@JESSY3236 (7532)
did you make someone mad enough to report you?
Just idiots taking one thing said by someone and turning it into something else...but if they'd have done their homework I wouldn't have had to deal with them
You should write a book! That's insane, they are so keen to get a collar that they will frame someone!
It wasn't an everyday thing, but it happened often enough that I finally got used to it somewhat.
• Trinidad And Tobago
I'll probably not be as strong as you. It upsets me if people even think badly of me...far more to accuse me of something. I think the law in your country is different from mine. Here you get thrown in jail and even beaten...and you can't say anything. Your situation sounds more like what I see in the movies.
I used to be quite the radical when younger so I am not quite as intimidated by them as most people are
@yugocean (8848)
You have Law of USA to protect you, but we have law of India, so there would be different version
I can say I have only been physically abused by them twice...the ones that knew me well had a kind of grudging respect for me.
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
Were you in upstate NY yesterday? My cousin's son's house burned down...
Creeper Van wouldn't make it that far
• Bournemouth, England
Trying it on.The old-fashioned, discredited nominative approach instead of the eliminative, which actually involves doing some work.
@PainsOnSlate (20659)
That's crazy...I'm sorry they do this to you. You would think they would have better things to do than making you look guilty.
@sabtraversa (13331)
They want to hear what they want to hear, so common.
you gotta love that.my bro got accused of stealing a purse from a car once. the detective came to the house asking and said we know he did it..i said bull he was at the movies.and dug his stub out of the trash. "well,we're going to ask if they remember him" yea,you go ahead and ask them if they saw a tall guy dressed like the undertaker with one boot spur yesterday. and of course they did.especially in RI.
I hate when the authorities cheat and try to frame you. Well done JJ, laugh in their face and NEVER confess anything.
they thought they had someone they could bully into things.