Have You Ever Been A Smoker?

By Gill
@Gillygirl (17603)
Sutton, England
I smoked cigarettes on and off for twenty five years. I initially quit when I was pregnant but started again when my daughter was six weeks old. I was then diagnosed with Asthma in 2008. I stopped again only to have another couple of relapses. I tried nicotine withdrawal aid products such as nicotine lozenges to help kick the habit. They merely served as a purpose to keep me addicted and lead me back to twenty cigarettes per day. I eventually quit for good when I was diagnosed with COPD in 2012. I had to halt this disease in it's tracks so I had no choice. I'm glad cigarettes are no longer in my life. Although I have flare ups of my illness and have been hospitalized on a few occasions, I am still quite active. Have you ever smoked or have a relative that did? If so how did you/they give up?
@PatZAnthony (13118)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
When we were younger many of us here smoked. Coming to our senses about the health and financial cost finally stopped all of us.
@Gillygirl (17603)
• Sutton, England
I really wish I hadn't started again when my daughter was born. Even better, never to have touched them at all.
It wasn't the money for us - I would have paid any amount for digs. It was when the doc told me to since I had a stroke in the 80's and no one told me then to quit.
@Gillygirl I miss it - there are days I wish I could have one! But then again I never want to smell that bad ever again.
• Preston, England
I'm glad to say I never started smoking
@Gillygirl (17603)
• Sutton, England
Good for you as it is a waste of money and the health risks are alarming.
• Preston, England
@Gillygirl it killed my father when he was 49 and most family deaths have been down to cigerrette cancer around me
• Walnut Creek, California
You're a lucky guy!
No. Never.
@Gillygirl (17603)
• Sutton, England
Good for you, do you know anybody who has smoked?
@HAPPSINGH Thanks, bro.
@Gillygirl Yeah, one my uncles and a great friend of mine.
• Walnut Creek, California
I've smoked for several years and still do. I'm active (softball, hiking, basketball, cycling), but I can feel the effects sometimes. I don't know how, but I've managed to keep my smoking at half a pack a day or less.
@Gillygirl (17603)
• Sutton, England
Some people can get away with smoking for years. At least you are not a heavy smoker. It is best to keep consumption down or stop.
@nomus24g (25106)
Honestly speaking, I have NEVER EVER tried a single puff
@sol_cee (18077)
• Japan
@nomus24g I'm not the duck I used to be either. lol
@Gillygirl (17603)
• Sutton, England
That is very good. Do you know anyone who smoked?
@nomus24g (25106)
@Gillygirl my entire friend circle not only used to smoke cig, but also hash :)
I was a smoker but only a pack a week. I quit in 1993 and have never had another puff. I had quit before but it didn't stick, this time it was forever. I was sick and hadn't smoked for a week and decided that I would just not smoke anymore and that was that. When our house burned down and I didn't start smoking again I knew that I had gotten over it
@Gillygirl I still remember the relaxing feeling of that first puff but I know better than to give in.
@Gillygirl (17603)
• Sutton, England
@BelleStarr I remember that feeling too but it would probably hurt my lungs if I took so much as a puff.
@Gillygirl Yes, I try not to dwell on it but it is amazing how long that feeling survives.
@hillwill (1000)
I smoke when I feel upset
@Gillygirl (17603)
• Sutton, England
Oh dear that's not good.
@hillwill (1000)
@Gillygirl Yeah,you are right.But everyone have unique way to relax himself,isn't it?
@Gillygirl (17603)
• Sutton, England
@hillwill Yeah and then nearly die as a result of relaxing.
@amandajay (18071)
• North Shore, New Zealand
Yes... I have used
@Gillygirl (17603)
• Sutton, England
Used what?
@Gillygirl (17603)
• Sutton, England
@amandajay Thanks for clarifying this lol!
@amandajay (18071)
• North Shore, New Zealand
@Gillygirl haha lol
@Daljinder (22198)
I have never known anyone in my social circle to ever smoke. Religiously speaking, it isn't acceptable. It actually will look quite an odd sight to see a Sikh smoking as they get noticed easily. It sort of serves as a deterrent. So, in such cases, even if they want to smoke, they will quit sooner rather than later on their own.
@Gillygirl (17603)
• Sutton, England
@Daljinder We certainly do.
I started smoking when I was 18 years old. I quit during one of my pregnancies and went right back to it after. When I'm no longer pregnant I'm going to quit with the patch. I have always smoked less than half a pack a day. Right now I'm down to 5 per day. My OB said quitting right now would do more harm than good because of the stress of quitting on me and the baby. Wish me luck in quitting please!
@Gillygirl (17603)
• Sutton, England
I wish you the best of luck in the world Jennifer. I know how hard it is to quit.
@Gillygirl Thank you. I am very worried about quitting but I know not quitting is much worse down the road.
@Gillygirl (17603)
• Sutton, England
@LovingMyBabies Not quitting is much worse down the line. I won't listen to anybody though!
@Bella128 (2479)
I've never tried it and will never try it.
@Gillygirl (17603)
• Sutton, England
That is the best way to view smoking. I wish I had been as sensible as you.
@Gillygirl (17603)
• Sutton, England
@Bellatricks As long as you are healthy and happy in your self then that's what matters.
@else34 (13602)
• New Delhi, India
No,never.I don't smoke.I know how difficult it is to quit an addiction.Many of my friends are chain smokers.They had tried hard to quit smoking,but failed miserably due to lack of will power.
@Gillygirl (17603)
• Sutton, England
Good for you.
@else34 (13602)
• New Delhi, India
@Gillygirl Thanks.
@Gillygirl (17603)
• Sutton, England
@else34 You are welcome
I started smoking when I was about 13...by the time I was in my 50's I was smoking 4 packs a day. My husband probably smoked more years since he's older, and he smoked non filtered...we both quit cold turkey in February 2001. Cold turkey is the only way we could have done it. We both have breathing issued, I have COPD...and still cough my lungs up every morning...him too.
@Gillygirl I use Sybicort. It stops my wheezing.
My father smokes a lot. I have been trying to talk him out of it but i failed. It's really bad when smoking to the smoker and people around. I don't know what I can do.
@Gillygirl (17603)
• Sutton, England
There are photos on the Internet of lungs that have been damaged by smoking. Could you get your father to look at them. I was very sick last year and was constantly in hospital.
@Gillygirl He refuses to play go to the hospital to get a physical exam because he is very afraid. He won't see the ppicture
Good for you !You finally abstained from smoking.I don't smoke excepting passive smoking.Sadly My son is a heavy smoker.I keep advising him to give up smoking,but that makes practically no impression on him.
@Gillygirl (17603)
• Sutton, England
Sadly the young don't listen. I was like that too and didn't believe I would get ill. I hope he decides to quit one day.
@Gillygirl He seems not to stop smoking until he gets ill.Needless to say,smoking will take its toll on his health.
@Absinto (2398)
• Portugal
I am currently a smoker. I have been smoking for 10 years already but i do hope that one day i will get this under control or try and quit. It isnt an easy task and to quit you neede to have a big amount of will power to do so. I am just waiting for that moment that i have the power to let myself try and quit.
@Gillygirl (17603)
• Sutton, England
No it isn't easy to stop however I felt I had more will power last time and didn't have the side effects of the previous times when I quit. You really have to have a strong desire to quit.
@Absinto (2398)
• Portugal
@Gillygirl Yes. If you are strong enough to qant to quit i am sure anyone can. It isnt an easy task and i know that at this moment i couldnt stop because i do not have the power that i need to do so.
@dpk262006 (56521)
I have never smoked and I feel uneasy while sitting with someone who smokes.
@Gillygirl (17603)
• Sutton, England
Good for you and I don't blame you for being uncomfortable when sitting with a smoker as there are dangers of passive smoking. It also stinks.
@dpk262006 (56521)
@Gillygirl Sitting with someone who is smoking could affect us also. Moreover, I just cannot bear the smell of smoke, it makes me feel uneasy.
@PurnaSharma (2175)
Sometime i smoke but not addicted
@Gillygirl (17603)
• Sutton, England
Are you still a smoker?
@Gillygirl ...yeah but i'm not addicted to it..i can stay without it
@diosabella (4809)
I was never a smoker but my dad was. One day my dad just decided to quit. That was 20 years ago. He said when he had this urge to smoke he chew bubble gums or just candy to stop the cravings. Now, he doesn't do anything.
@Gillygirl (17603)
• Sutton, England
Congratulations to your dad for not smoking again.
@Gillygirl Proud of him!
@silvermist (20114)
No,I have never smoked.But in my country years back, it was rare for girls to smoke. That trend has changed a bit ,but not much.
@Gillygirl (17603)
• Sutton, England
That is interesting as in the UK females are smoking more than males.
@silvermist (20114)
@Gillygirl Here it is more of a culture thing.Health wise it is not good to smoke wheter you are a man or woman .But people will accept a man who smokes.But a woman can't because it is against Indian culture and tradition.