Do you ever wonder where a Mylotter is really located?

By Gill
@Gillygirl (17361)
Sutton, England
When setting up a membership for mylot it isn't mandatory to state the country of location the user is from.. There is the option when registering on the site to click on anywhere in the world. This is a shame as I like to know the whereabouts of other members so I can relate to their customs, culture and if possible learn something about another nation. Some people add locations to their bios and others answer questions about their nation on their posts. There are still many mylotters who keep their location hidden or possibly disguised. I read a post yesterday where the author had written about heavy snow his country had received that morning. He had a location on his profile. I know it well and there has been no snow nor is it common in his area. Perhaps this user was exercising some dramatic license when creating the discussion. After all, it is difficult to think of new topics at times. Do you ever question where a mylotter is really from?
@mysdianait (64056)
Yes I wonder and I posted about this a couple of weeks ago too. I like to know, not only so that I can relate to a user's culture, but also so that I don't offend them by thinking that there are in one place when really they are in another. the fact that you are aware of a user who posts about something happening in their area when you are certain that it was elsewhere proves another point that I made too recently. Some people here are faking it - not a nice thing to do at all on a social community
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
The post I read did make me think as I have a relative in the same town and country. There was no snow yesterday and it doesn't often snow.
@mysdianait (64056)
@Gillygirl Over the years since I joined there have been many occasions when someone who is male, according to their profile, starts talking about what a terrible time they had giving birth to their child ... and that is only one of many examples that quite a few of us remember. There always were and always will be fakers on here, sadly.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
@mysdianait Lol I haven't come across a gender change in posting yet. These people are fake, fakers!
@thelme55 (14944)
I do wonder sometimes. Mine is stated in Germany but I live in 2 countries. I am this time in the Philippines.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
That's not a problem and I realise that some may not wish to give location out due to personal reasons. I don't understand why anyone would fake their location though.
@thelme55 (14944)
@Gillygirl yes, I don't understand that either.
That is interesting that you noticed that. Did you point it out to him on his post? I would not want to write the city I am from but the state and country I am fine posting.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
The person is quite new so I didn't point it out. Perhaps I should have as the person isn't that far from me. I have a relative there and no snow yesterday. I've seen a few discrepancies now that make me wonder. I wouldn't want to disclose the exact area I'm from in the UK. In fact I may shorten my user name.
I do wonder. I used to have my city and state, but many are clueless about certain areas. As a result, I changed it to the USA. I never would use dramatic license in such a way. Lol! What you see is what you get from my discussions.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
Lol I know that Dianne! I do wonder whether some locations are deliberately disguised.
I often wonder. Kind of fun, though, to gather clues from discussions and guess.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
It is interesting, I have noticed other discrepancies in posts. The mind boggles!
@sishy7 (27606)
I can almost see my location on that globe... only half the continent is showing there on the far right...
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
Ah, I can see it. I would love to be there now. Sunny and warm!
@mysdianait (64056)
@Gillygirl Sunny and scorching HOT from what I gather
@sishy7 (27606)
@Gillygirl Maybe a bit too warm at the moment... There's some kind of heatwave coming in... But I'm not complaining...
@Plethos (10450)
No, it doesn't matter to me.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
It doesn't have to be a big deal really. I'm curious as to why anyone would want to disguise a location.
@Plethos (10450)
@Gillygirl - me for example, I don't see it as important to know so I don't think it's important to tell.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
@Plethos You have USA on your profile though.
@1hopefulman (31672)
I also enjoy looking and knowing where an individual lives. The location tells us something about the individual, like background, way of thinking, concerns and so on. You don't have to wonder where I'm from and what the weather is like here.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
Lol in most places in Canada there has been bad weather. The snow post is not far from my home and I have a relative in that area.
@1hopefulman (31672)
@Gillygirl It is snowing right now but for us it is normal winter. We are a hardy bunch.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
@1hopefulman My late father used to travel to Canada quite often and knew about the bad winters.
@Bluedoll (17054)
I wonder about that too. Sometimes they want to fit in somewhere? I have seen people who live abroad use their country of origin but when asked will inform.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
I asked someone where she was from today. She answered some of my question but not about location.
@Bluedoll (17054)
@Gillygirl Guess she wants it to remain confidential. I think the owner or one of the owners of this site is from mid usa land but they might as well be superman for all I know. You and I have something in common. We both fly.
No, I don't question a mylotter's location.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
I never used to but have come across some discrepancies recently that make me wonder where a mylotter really is located. I have a relative in the same town as the snow post and there was no bad weather yesterday.
Yes, sometimes I ask him/ her from what country she is because it doesn't show in her profile page. I think we should all have the country where we came from in our profile page.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
It's not against the rules to not show a location but it's nice to know.
@Gillygirl Yes, its is still nice to know from where are they .
@AliCanary (1851)
I don't worry too much about it--I don't have a location on my profile, but I do frequently mention where I am located in my posts and comments.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
Not mentioning a location in a profile isn't such a big deal as members have many reasons not to disclose it. I am baffled as to why someone would state they have a lot of snow in their area when they don't.
@AliCanary (1851)
@Gillygirl - That is indeed very weird.
Some mylotters may have personal reasons for not stating their exact location. About the author writing about heavy snow in his country , perhaps a phenomenon occurred
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
Lol, not yesterday as I have a relative living in the same town and country. Very strange!
@Asylum (48266)
• Manchester, England
Many members have no location listed on their profile page, which does seem odd. I have also noticed locations listed that were clearly false. I have never understood why anyone would wish to lie about such factors.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
Some state it's for person reasons. I recently read about a user who set up multiple accounts. He/she then gave various posts likes. The account got deleted. I questioned the author of the snow post eventually. He was located in the UK. There was no snow that day. I didn't receive a reply and haven't seen him around lately.
@Asylum (48266)
• Manchester, England
@Gillygirl Snow has been scarce here for some time now.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
@Asylum Yes it has. My daughter was 18 before she saw any significant snow.
I would bet the farm that people on here lie, fib and brag on here more than we know. The bragging is evident
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
From some posts I would agree. The post I read was weird. I did question the member eventually but received no reply.
@Gillygirl If the person lied about snow he/she won't respond to you I'm sure.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
@AbbyGreenhill Most certainly not especially as (LOL) they are in the UK too. No snow here!
@DaddyEvil (25818)
• Aurora, Missouri
Uhm... yes, at times I do and have... The first time I ask someone where they were located, I was told that if they wanted me to know that much about them, they would have it listed beside their name. I replied, then I guess I don't need to know anything more about you, so I can ignore your posts. He told me I didn't need to be so rude, this was a social networking site... I replied, I am trying to be social, but apparently, you don't know how to be sociable! He said something else, but I never bothered to go see what asinine comment he left for me. Most of the time, now, if they don't have it listed or I don't believe what their profile says, I check the programming. If it isn't listed there, I pull their IP address and find out their rough location from that. (If it seems important to them that I don't know, I just don't tell them I am looking for myself. I can't figure out any reason anyone needs to keep their location (country) a secret. Country and sometimes, region in the country in question are easy to get. Trying to get closer than that can be done, but it can be extremely difficult. I won't try to get closer than country.)
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
I didn't know you could track a country like that. I can't be bothered with anti-social folks as they are a vexation to the spirit. I did question the author of the snow post. The location was UK lol. I never received a reply.
@DaddyEvil (25818)
• Aurora, Missouri
@Gillygirl Uhm... I normally won't offer to bend a rule for something like this, Gillian, but programming here is open to anyone who knows how to look. The program I use to pick up IP addresses is freeware and is not blocked on this site... If you want to point me in the right direction, I could look and tell you what one or both say about that poster? ONLY if his non-answer annoys you, though. Otherwise, I think fakes are not worth wasting my time/energy on. I have found and believe you are worth me using a bit of time and energy helping, if you so desire.
@spaceseed (2887)
I am a myloter I live on planet earth
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
Okay, is it nice there?
@spaceseed (2887)
@Gillygirl mixed activities...........................but i am peacefull
@PurnaSharma (2138)
No i didn't question anyday but yes this is very important thing,everyone should disclose his/her location truly.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
It's not against the rules not to put a location but I agree it's nice to know.
@Gillygirl ..correct.
@dpk262006 (56473)
I endorse your views. It would be better if users indicate their place of stay. It gets easier to understand the context of their posts. Some users do not indicate their city/country then it becomes difficult to interact with them. Few months ago, I noticed that a user changed his location/place of stay in his/her profile. I asked him what made him do so and where does he actually belongs to. He said that he did not want to reveal his real place of stay, therefore, he keeps changing is location in his profile. His answer was quite surprising for me.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
It is nicer to know so we may understand their posts better. I questioned the author of the snow post eventually but got no reply.
@dpk262006 (56473)
@Gillygirl Yeah, if we know about nationality of author, we feel better to connect with him and it makes us easier to understand the context of his/her posts.
• Pamplona, Spain
No, not really. What I am looking for is something to read and learn from. Yes I do look but I think nothing of it not very much anyway. In the South of Spain they have had very heavy Snowfall for them at least anyway here we are in the North but direction South so although it feels like Snow it has not happend just yet.
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
I saw the snow in Southern Spain on the news. It isn't against regulations to put a location. I feel it's just nice to know.