What is your definition of a real friend?

Are "real friends" becoming extinct? The world seems be growing more selfish by the minute. I thank God that I have real friends in my life.
@carebear29 (28586)
• Wausau, Wisconsin
A real friend doesn't stab you in the back
Absolutely, nikki, real friends do not and will not stab you in the back nor will they try to use you for their own selfish reasons.
@carebear29 (28586)
• Wausau, Wisconsin
• Peoria, Arizona
Real friends are people who care about you the most. And people still have the ability to care. It doesn't matter if they are online friends or real life friends. A lot of people who are selfish still have friends, the person is just awful but their friends care about them so they stick by.
Felicia, I've seen real friends stick to a person who is very selfish, hoping that one day they might change. Those types of real friends never give up on you because possibly they see other good qualities in their selfish friend.
@ilocosboy (34325)
Real friends which is, of course, not fake friends, are those we people who are their to help us when we need them, but also their to criticize us when we do something wrong.
Yes @ilocosboy I definitely agree with the latter part of your answer. Real friends will tell you what you NEED to hear rather than what you want to hear. Real friends don't enable the ones they care about bad behavior. Those are friendships that I truly cherish. Someone who is not afraid to tell me when I'm wrong or that I'm headed in the wrong direction is truly a blessing to me.