Inability Center

I did it - I went on another walk through our local university ! This time I took another route just to toss things up. So I walked towards the Student Union where there was some construction going on. Around the skeleton of the future building was a fence with printed tarp to show what was coming soon. "INABILITY CENTER" ??? For a second there, I wondered what kind of terrible name was that for a college center. Was it actually for students who were "not capable" and had inabilities? How negative and insulting ! But then I realized I had only read part of the tarp . . . the other half was folded over as it was a fence entrance for the construction workers. Reading another section of the tarp, this building was going to be a "SUSTAINABILITY CENTER". (It will be resource place for college students to learn and be active about being green, recycling, etc). Looks like I could use the support of an Inability Center . Do you ever mistakingly misread something and totally get the wrong idea?
Good you gave it a second look. This is like a typist who put up a nameplate on the door that read THE RAPIST which should have been THERAPIST.. This man was a psychiatrist. (lol)
Oh my gosh yes - that is the perfect example! Funny how just one slip up can change the entire meaning!!
I think an "Inability Center" on a college campus could come in pretty handy for those who make a lot of mistakes. That place would be full!!! Our son received a T-shirt that said "Duckhead University" on it for Christmas. I loudly proclaimed, quite innocently I must say, in front of all family, "Oh, D#*khead University." I tried to write what I actually said, but D#*khead is a bad word and myLot will not let me use it.
The center should would have come in handy had it been there at the time I went to college - if it wasn't full - it should have been full . At first I was thinking you said what rhymes with Duck . . . been then I figured it out . That's too funny it wouldn't go through here!!!
• Eugene, Oregon
Ohhh that school!
When I was about 16, and old enough to know better, I saw a sign that said 'Lots for Sale' and wondered why someone would put that rather than itemising what they had to sell. :)
That's something I would have thought too !
• Eugene, Oregon
@JudyEv, I used to joke with my daughter when passing "garage" and "yard" sales. "Why would they sell their yards"
Yes, I do it all the time. Mostly with signs.
I don't know if it's my eyes or brains that make me do that!!
@much2say - I think it's my brain. Sometimes I think it doesn't like me too much.
@teamfreak16 I think my brain would like to kick me in the butt if it could .
yes,many time.The mind does funny tricks.
It does!! This way and in many other ways .
@katsmeow1213 (28711)
Frequently.. usually because I read it too quickly and mix a couple letters up so think I see something else.. then I do a double take and it all makes sense!
Double take - yes! I don't know if I read it too quickly or if my brain actually changes it up somehow . . . either way I can't believe I do that sometimes.
@much2say I think your brain mixes it up at first..
LOL that is so funny. I am glad you investigated the sign a little better so you learned that this place is a good thing instead :-)
Yah, for a second there I was thinking how can they have the nerve to create such a center!!
@hereandthere (22034)
oh, my. where do i begin? some words in headlines and titles around the web i've misread lately: thyroid instead of typhoid, scam instead of scan, and trespasses instead of threat passes, so of course i go 'huh?' and have to read them again.
Yes, yes, yes . . . that's exactly how it is! Good thing we have sense to check it out again . . . well most times anyway .
Lol some one needs to change the sign or they might get complains in the future. They were moments were I misread some signs. But in my country they were signs that were just ridiculous.
They placed that tarp at the fence entrance that way - in just the perfect way it could be read wrong and they probably don't even realize it. I wonder how many others read it that way!!
• Otis Orchards, Washington
What were you doing at the college? Are you thinking about enrolling? What will you take? From what I have read none of your children are old enough to be thinking about college–or am I wrong about that? That pretty funny– Inability Center. I watched a tv show on PBS about the brain. It appears that the brain will interpret things based on past experiences. Matter of fact you may look at something and not see everything there. If you glance at a wall and all you see is wall, then you look again and see a picture on the wall, what had happened was you brain filled in the wall as what you would have most likely seen. Then when you took a good look and let your brain see what was actually on the wall, then you saw the picture. So according to that, you can blame your brain and not your eyes.
Oh - no - I'm not enrolling - we've got 2 kids to put through college one day - and they gotta come first!! My kids are almost 12 and 7 - not close to college age but well, we need to start thinking about these things. As for me, the college is very close to where we live. I am an alumni, so I'm pretty familiar with the campus. It's a great place to walk . . . go check out the buildings, displays, events, library, etc - and it's so commercialized now with lots of places to eat, if I wanted to spend for it (but I mostly don't). The kids have different spots around the college they like to hang out . . . and we go there when we think of it. I just thought it'd be a better place for me to take walks after the kids go to school. . . there are always people around and things to look at . . . I don't have to go around in circles like I would at a regular park. I'm sure that's exactly what our brain does. Not all people/brains will interpret what they see the same way. For some reason I was drawn to that particular "wrong" part of the building name . . . maybe that says something right there
@RichardMeister I have lots of hair left - but some of it is in the gray area. So that's we're currently working on . . . trying to get funds out of the gray area and plugged into where they need to be put.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
@much2say If that's the case, I must have lived a charmed life because my hair didn't start turning gray until about 5 years ago. Or maybe I just didn't let things bother me that much. But I'm glad to hear you haven't pulled all your hair out. It can be tricky to get your funds plugged into the right are.
Inability to sustainability. I do misread things on occasion. I have a cataract.
Is it a blurry issue for those with cataracts? My vision is very good, but apparently my reading is not .
@much2say ........Do you have a Kindle? I have the app on my PC.
@celticeagle Nope, no Kindle here . . . oh wait, maybe I do have it on the phone . . . never used it!
Lol! I've made many bloopers and humdingers in my lifetime. Don't feel bad. I'm sure you're not alone. We have a city in CT called Stamford. I was very embarrassed calling Stanford University, Stamford University, until I was laughingly corrected by my son in front of 463 million people!
Oh my gosh, at first I thought that was a typo . . . I am very familiar with StaNford but not StaMford! But Stamford is probably what comes in to your thought first. Oh my gosh, were you making a speech at that time to be in front of all those people?
@much2say Lol! No, I was just exaggerating!!!
@DianneN I thought maybe you said that in a graduation speech as Stanford or Harvard is mentioned a lot .
@sishy7 (25666)
It was folded over right at a tricky part of the word...
It was . And of course "I" would pick up on that very part .
@sishy7 (25666)
@much2say we think so much alike sometimes...
@sishy7 We do!!!
Just as the saying here,a small discrepancy leads to a great error.More of the same with Chinese,for a sentence,sometimes increasing or decreasing a word makes a great deal of difference to its meaning.
All it takes is one silly error! Oh, you remind me this is the way it was for me when I took Mandarin in college. As Chinese has intonations, we were warned that the wrong intonation will completely change the word. Like MA . . . that could mean mother or horse . . . our teacher warned to make sure we use the correct one when addressing a mother .
@much2say Yes,In general there are four tones in Chinese pronounciation,i.e.high and level tone,rising tone,falling-rising tone and falling tone,Take MA for example,mother,pronounce high and level tone;horse is falling-rising tone,if you pronounce falling tone,it becomes swear or curse.
@changjiangzhibin89 Ohhhhh, I did not know about the swear word too - no wonder why we were warned!
• Eugene, Oregon
I have and (of course) can't think of what it was right now. I did see something wrongly yesterday on a little road trip we took. In the distance, I could see what looked very much like a deer by the side of the road. I slowed a bit and as we got closer, saw that it had been a mailbox on a post, lined up just right behind a short pole. It got me and my wife as well.
Good thing you slowed down in case it tried to cross the road .
• Eugene, Oregon
@much2say Yeah, it was strange.
@crossbones27 (14365)
• Redlands, California
Haha I do that all the time. That inability center actually sounds like something that makes sense for once. Been pretty frustrated with how we never seem to teach sustainability anymore, but how to teach people the false illusions of making everyone rich.
Oh geez - yes, instead of helping people, it seems it's all gone the way of fooling people and taking advantage of them . But hopefully this sustainability center will help the college kids be more aware of saving their environment (and perhaps themselves). Although, I think an inability center would appropriate in some places .
• Redlands, California
@much2say Indeed lol
Will at least you saw the other part. Sometimes we read things wrong when e drive by something. I have had that happen lots of times..
And we get a good laugh out of it!
I have poor vision and frequently misread things
The sad thing is I have good vision and still misread things all the time .
@FayeHazel (9441)
Lol. THat is funny but I see how it could happen
At least my anger over the name was resolved in not even a second .
@averygirl72 (11797)
That's funny. I thought it was real Inability center. Better double check it
Good thing I did, and it sure wasn't. I'm glad I figured that out fast!