Mississippi

Riga, Latvia
This doesn’t refer just to the Mississippi River that flows through the states but it refers to a song about the river. What am I doing thinking about such a song on a winter’s day in Latvia? Good question. Well last night we heard on the news that the weather is letting up a bit and slowly the snow and ice is beginning to melt. Today all of the branches that were snow-clad had no more snow on them. The ground and all around there is still plenty of snow but slowly it is getting to be less. This does not mean that there will be a spring thaw. I mean we still have to get through February which can be a very harsh month but the river here has loosened its icy grip. On the news they warned people not to try to cross or go out on the Daugava River that divides Riga in half. This all made me think of one of my favorite river songs titled “Mississippi” and sung by a group called Pussycat. Now you probable think I am out of my mind but I kid you not. So for my new music post let me tell you a little about this lovely song. “Mississippi” was recorded by Dutch country pop band Pussycat and became their only number one single. It was written by Werner Theunissen in 1969. He was inspired by the Bee Gees song “Massachusetts”. The band recorded this song in 1975 and had international success. It rose to number one on the U.K. charts and stayed there for four weeks. How do you like this song?
Pussycat - Mississippi 1975 Where you can hear a country song from far and someone plays the honky-tonk guitar Where all the lights will go out one by one th...
I certainly was unaware of this song.
• Riga, Latvia
I believe that the problem could be that first of all they were a Dutch group more popular in Europe and second the name of the band. I mean would you want to listen to Pussycat? @JohnRoberts
@velvet53 (15379)
• Palisade, Colorado
I have heard this song and I do like it but had forgotten about it. Now I can listen to it again.
@mom210 (5800)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Good song, I did not know this one. Thank you
@silvermist (15816)
@RasmaSandra I did not know about this song.Thank you for the link.
What a great song! Thanks for the link. I knew the song but didn't recognise the title. I guess I haven't really listened to the lyrics before.
• Riga, Latvia
Yes, I love the words and the music to this song @JudyEv