Asthma Is A Bummer With A Cold!

Having visited the Dr. this afternoon, I was validated in my concerns. It appears that my Asthma is significantly aggravated by the cold I am dealing with. The god news is that It is not quite as bad as when I was first diagnosed. The bad news is now I am on Predizone 50 Mg for 5 days to help fight the situation. So in the past it has been 20 Mg 3 times a day for 5 days then another 5 days to get off the steroids. So now it is a wait and see situation. If it doesn't get better then I will be back to being concerned about hospitalization. A cold alone is ok I can deal with that but inter-disperse Asthma problems (not being able to take deep breaths) and it is very painful. Have you ever experienced this? If so what do you suggest to add to my breathing exercises, Prednizone and regular asthma medications?
My asthma has not brothered me since we moved to Oregon. I hope it is gone. I hate not being able to breath.
@topffer (35525)
• France
Sorry, I never had asthma and I cannot help. Take care of yourself.
@topffer I will. Just feeling a bit limited. Hard to breath with an elephant for one of my lungs.
@topffer (35525)
• France
@Berniezeitler Is it not the flu ? It is very bad for the lungs this year and sends many people to the hospital. Besides, the vaccine was not very efficient.
@topffer Nope no Flu! I would probably be in intensive care if it were because O2 levels drop a lot with Colds and even more with the Flu!
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
Having asthma and now COPD I feel for you. It may sound crazy but moderate exercise helps. A breathing technique I use is - Breathe in through the nose hold for a second then breathe gently out through the mouth. There are a few techniques on the Internet. Hope you feel better soon.
@Gillygirl I do the breathing exercises but exercise is limited due to problems with my joints (Knees, Hips and shoulders primarily).
@Gillygirl (17361)
• Sutton, England
@Berniezeitler Hopefully the prednisolone will kick in. That works with me although I tend to have 30mg for 5 days.
@Gillygirl 10 mg 3 times a day for 5 days? If so that is what my Asthma Dr. has done before. I went to my regular Dr. this time.
• Williamsburg, Virginia
my 7 year old son has asthma. His asthma is aggravated by viruses as well. He is a lot better as well after his meds are under control. He takes singular every night. During a cold or virus he also takes QVar.
@taramarie39 My daily regimen is 500/50 Advair 2x daily and singular is a daily med. Then there is Pro Air for Rescue inhaler. They had to give me steroids in addition because of the cold. I understand the difficulty. Never tried Q Var. What is it?
I know losing weight is hard, but eating better, tracking what you eat, and slowly dropping carbs and sugars out will also prob help!
It's a terrible feeling to not be able to breathe good. I hope your medications help you feel better.
@rina110383 (24074)
Both of my parents have asthma and take the same medication. I pity them when they have cold.
oh I love Prednisone! It is so great for helping with breathing problems when you are sick and have asthma. It will definitely do the trick for you. The only problem is that it causes weight gain. Ugh.