Eight Hours in and the Sky hasn't Fallen

Angie Hilbert
@DWDavis (10774)
Pikeville, North Carolina
We here in the US are 8 hours into the Trump Presidency and so far everything seems to be going well. Other than some anarchist types who believed the proper way to protest Trump's inauguration today was to burn cars and smash store windows it appears things went off peacefully in DC today. Tomorrow may be another story. As I understand it, there is going to be a women's march on Washington to protest everything and anything about the Exalted Orange One. I heard on the radio today that these women are going to pinkwash Washington. Part of their uniform will be pink knit hats. Supposedly, before the event even takes place, the comedians are poised to roast the protestors for the pink hats. Considering the leaders of the march are calling the pink hats, well, I will let you visit the website to see. Do you think thousand of women dressed in these hats will be taken seriously?
Navigation GET INVOLVED! Donate Blog Patterns Knit Crochet Sew Hat Tracker Register your hat! Locations Info & Contact Contact FAQ Mission Press Our Story   The Women's March on Washington D.C. is happening January 21, 2017! The Pussyhat Project launched T
As long as it is peaceful than it is ok. Most will pay no attention to them.
@DWDavis (10774)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I think it will be peaceful, not like the anarchists who marched today.
The Women's march should be very interesting. I hope it is a peaceful one, but no not really.
@DWDavis (10774)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I've read that the hard core feminazis, to borrow a term from Rush L., are furious about the whole pink wash and pussyhat business.
I, for one, spent this morning picking up pieces of the sky in my front yard. I saw one of his first 'moves' to help middle-class America (one of his strong 'selling-points' as it were) was suspending a planned mortgage interest rate decrease that would have saved the average person about $500 a year. Why am I not surprised?
@DWDavis (10774)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I'm not quite sure how any President, since he doesn't control the Federal Reserve of the banks, could suspend a mortgage rate decrease. Interest rates are set by the Fed and passed on to consumers through the banks. I looked up the story, and it was a planned decrease in FHA Mortgage Insurance Premium rates, which only affect certain homeowners, that Obama had instituted in his last days. Obama most likely knew the cuts were not sustainable and put them in place knowing Trump would have to suspend them, just to make Trump look bad right off the starting line.
@DWDavis I say 'Trump' in the same way you say 'Obama'. If Obama could institute them, then Trump could cut them.
@DWDavis (10774)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@JolietJake Actually, I say Trump and then metaphorically spit on the ground. My nickname of him is The Exalted Orange One. I am not an Obama basher on most things. I was just pointing out the political reality.
I guess people have been knitting like mad to get their hats ready.
@DWDavis (10774)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
At least it's been a boon to the yarn and knitting needle economy.
@DWDavis Yes, sales will have soared. :)
• Preston, England
I hope the protests go peacefully and effectively
@DWDavis (10774)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
They might be peaceful, but I doubt they will be effective. The only change the protestors will accept is Trump stepping down and Hillary being named as President, and that isn't going to happen.
• Preston, England
@DWDavis I think they will help get Trump impeached - it isn't just mistakes he is making - his actions could be regarded as criminal
@DWDavis (10774)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@arthurchappell I don't think impeachment is in the cards, at least not while the Republicans control Congress. Impeachment has to be initiated in the House of Representatives and even if they vote to impeach, as they did with President Clinton, the Senate has to vote to remove the sitting President from office, which the Senate did not do with Clinton. This balance may change after the 2018 mid-term election, depending on how things go between now and then. The party not in the White House usually gains seats during a mid-term election.
I see nothing wrong what what these women are going to do today. We all have the right to speak our minds...If I was younger I'd be there with them....but I don't wear hats.
@DWDavis (10774)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I applaud them for marching to bring attention to their cause, but question their decision to use these particular hats to send a message. Already, the hats have brought ridicule on the marchers. I can only imagine what some of the comedians are saying about the protestors.
@DWDavis Trump said the word was that okay?
@DWDavis (10774)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@AbbyGreenhill He said the word, in what he thought was a private, off the record conversation, ten years ago. Lots of people have said the word. Rap stars say the word all the time, using its most pejorative and anatomical meaning, including at the concert Michelle Obama attended with her daughters. No one seemed to find that offensive. The protestors are wearing a pink hat on their head to represent the part of their body Trump referred to. If they'd thought it through, they would have realized it might not have been the most effective way of getting their point across.
Sadly, it will make no difference, what will be will be.
@DWDavis (10774)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
It might not change the way Trump does things, as he is convinced of his own infallibility, but it might influence Congress. Congress is the real power in Washington.
@DWDavis "The exalted orange one" good one!
@DWDavis (10774)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@snowy22315 TEOO for short.
To me this is just a waste of time. Accept the president as everyone did with Obama.
@DWDavis (10774)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
These spoiled little snowflakes cannot accept they didn't get their way, and will whine and cry and throw tantrums as long as they get attention from the press.
We are stuck with him but we don't have to accept him .... I do my 'wining and crying' in the privacy of my home....
@DWDavis (10774)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@AbbyGreenhill You don't strike me as the whining and crying type. I have the impression you are a stand up and be heard type.
Oh my goodness, what a ridiculous hat, No I do not think it can be taken seriously.
@DWDavis (10774)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
That's my worry, that a just cause has been weakened by the adoption of a symbol too easily ridiculed.
@DWDavis This is also my opinion.
@crossbones27 (18553)
• Redlands, California
Well, many of us did not think Trump would be taken serious for President.
@DWDavis (10774)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
A lot of people still aren't taking him seriously as President, and never will. A great number of people never took Obama seriously as President during his 8 years in the White House.
• Redlands, California
@DWDavis Indeed and I am one who cannot take Trump seriously on the aspect that he is good for the country. I will take him seriously on how much damage he can do to this country for years to come.
@Ronrybs (7302)
• London, England
I heard he was going to take the weekend off!
@DWDavis (10774)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I hope he does. Then we don't have to worry about him screwing anything up until Monday.
They are called pussyhats, and yes. I'd be marching with these women, too, if I could. Justice and equality for all!
@DWDavis (10774)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I agree wholeheartedly with their cause, but I think the hats are a mistake. It gives those who would ridicule them, however unjustly, something to latch on to.
• Trinidad And Tobago
Hats, x's in petition, red jerseys...if people stand together in large groups, someone will notice. Changes has come about in this way by highlighting a cause. Hope things remain peaceful.
@DWDavis (10774)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
This protest has been noticed. The problem for those pushing the cause is they have set themselves up for ridicule with those hats. I know the point they were trying to make with the hat, both by its color and name. I fear the hats have distracted from, rather than brought attention to, their cause.
@magallon (17772)
I think, protests now is useless. The proper thing for them to do is to accept your president.
@DWDavis (10774)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
Because of the actions of the anarchists yesterday during the inauguration, and the rioting that groups like Black Lives Matter incited, protestors are all being tarred by the same brush as lawless looters and vandals. It might not be fair, but there it is.
• Portland, Connecticut
I think everyone has a right to march and I did march in Washington myself but I don't agree with anything they stand for so it is irrelevant to me.
@DWDavis (10774)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
I think the pink hats are going to backfire on them as it gives their opponents and the late night comedians something with which to ridicule the movement. I understand the symbolism of the pink and the cat's ears, however, I think the hats will only dilute the message and distract everyone from the issues the protestors are trying to get heard.
I'm not sure I can take them seriously since they are using the very words they have said they found offensive to describe their hats!
@DWDavis (10774)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
They've really set themselves up for ridicule by going this route with the hats. The jokes have already started.
As a Canadian I was wondering what your perspective on the New President would be, I will check out some of your posts on this now.
Well I know I wont lol
That has to be the stupidest thing I've heard of and those hats - calling them pussyhats is degrading.
It is foolish to already now take to the streets when nothing has been started. How can he ever follow his own dictat "Buy American and hire American" His wife had enough time to go for an American fashion designer but she did not