$20 for a 2 1/2 hour gig? I'm outraged!

Pleasant Hill, California
Actually, I'm not. We did a gig last night that had been set up weeks ago. It was at a local Cafe. They paid us based on how much food and spirits were consumed. As it happened, last nigh was one of those with pouring rain and 30 mph winds--a good night to stay home with family. Still, a few people showed up. Plus we got an excellent free dinner and I drank a couple of glasses of a nice Pinot Noir. We played well, and everyone had a good time. They paid us $100. I think we got $28 in tops as well. I drove through two deep flood puddles on the way home, but my Xterra stayed straight and true. Have you ever done a "job" and been underpaid? Do you get ticked off? Or look for reasons and "go with the flow"?
@PainsOnSlate (18578)
Never been underpaid but I'm not an entertainer... I imagine the meal and pino was worth another $20. I guess you can't trust the weather...at least you don't live where its snowing...
• Pleasant Hill, California
I was satisfied with the evening. The meal and two Pinots were worth probably $30--they make a good veggie lasagna!
@Daljinder (19276)
How about not paid at all? I helped many in their school projects. Many times ended up doing the whole job. Wasn't paid at all.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Was that when you were IN school? Or after?
@Daljinder (19276)
@TheHorse Both in and after!
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Daljinder I don't have much tolerance for those who don't do the work they're supposed to do.
eh not bad when you factor in free food and drinks
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yep, and the good times.
• New Delhi, India
It all depends on my mood. Attimes I take it casually and at other time I get outraged
• Pleasant Hill, California
What kind of thing makes you outraged? Stuff like this is fine. But I have one guy who owes me several hundred dollars for some speaker refinishing work and avoids me. That ticks me off.
• New Delhi, India
@TheHorse yes even I have a person who owes me Rs 4500/- and hasn't paid yet
@masood72 (4180)
• Amersfoort, Netherlands
not at all so for in my life.
• Pleasant Hill, California
You are blessed! What occupation are you in?
It was stormy yesterday! But I bet you had a good experience and fun with your crew :) + the free food & drinks!
• Pleasant Hill, California
It was fun. I came home happy.
@TheHorse That is a good feeling! Have a wonderful weekend :)
• Pleasant Hill, California
@infatuatedbby Thanks. Today (Saturday) was another good day.
@Tina30219 (23201)
• Onaway, Michigan
Sounds like a good time had even if the weather sucked and you was under paid. My boyfriend and some friends here play at a local bar by us they get paid 300.00 and among the among the 5 of them they each get 60.00 a piece. Will you be going back to this place to play again?
@Tina30219 (23201)
• Onaway, Michigan
@TheHorse Wow is it just the area or what ard bands get paid a lot more than that where I live. But I am sure this is something you do for fun for a little side money right? Glad to hear you would go back and play there again I bet it gets more business in the summer so you are more than likely to get more tips from it at least.
• Riga, Latvia
Always got underpaid or not paid at all when I did my content writing and since have not continued. Considering that you said you had calluses on your fingers for your efforts then I think you should always get paid $10 per finger
• Pleasant Hill, California
Heh heh. May callouses from the previous weekend helped me last night. I didn't get that sore.
@Morleyhunt (15033)
Often it will go with the flow...circumstances do contribute to the lack of payment occasionally, but when someone underplays me and then goes out and spend 100s of $$ on something frivolous...I'm ticked off.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yeah, one guy who owes me a bunch of money ain't as broke as he pretends to be. He just knows I'm kind and takes advantage of it. Come to think of it, there are two people like that.
yes,at my graphic art job forty five years ago.We were all underpaid.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Interesting. I should probably be more ticked off about what early childhood educators are paid, not to mention social worker types.
@sishy7 (24858)
Glad that's how you took it... I hope it was the same with all of your band mates... You're the one with the huge bass(?) guitar, no?
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yep, I mostly play bass in this band. One band mate joked about what we were paid, but I don't think he was really mad.
@diosabella (4846)
All the time. But I had fun so its fine
• Pleasant Hill, California
In what area? Music?
@TheHorse Clerical
• Pleasant Hill, California
@diosabella It pays what it pays!
yea,when i worked from my friend's band.i did everything from wardrobe to roadie. i didn't mind most of the times except when i got dragged into interband drama. and it was usually the hangers-on that started it..
• Pleasant Hill, California
How well were you paid? Our groupies and roadies don't get to experience the inter-band drama.
@TheHorse some travel expenses,food,hundred or so here and there..it really depended on how good the shows were.they needed to enforce their rider more often.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@scarlet_woman Was it a good experience overall? We don't travel that much (one gig in LA), and we're our own roadies. Our groupies are our wives and friends.
You can say that you did sing for your supper! Maybe the next gig will land you a bit more money. I have been underpaid when I was helping out a friend with cleaning out her home. It was trashed. She paid me $20 for my efforts and I was there all day. My kids also helped out and they got even less.
@TheHorse yes, I do the same. Working for pennies when you do a good job is more like a cold slap in the face.
@reskyyandi (3757)
I dont have any experience about that.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Do you have a regular job that "pays what it pays"?
@TheHorse No, I am a student
@tzwrites (3026)
I am not a musician so I have no idea how I would feel being underpaid but maybe the fact that people showed up is a consolation.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I was actually pleasantly surprised that so many people showed up, given the weather.
I've actually never been underpaid, but then again, I've never really had many side gigs either. My understanding, from musicians I've known, is that underpayment is quite common in bars and the like.
• Pleasant Hill, California
It's the norm. Especially for good musicians (jazz, classical, etc.). I am not putting myself in that category. That's why there's a bumper sticker out there that reads "Real musicians have day jobs."
I tutored a lot of kids over the years. One child I tutored once a week. One time his parents forget to pay me for a session. I never mentioned it. The fact that the tutoring sessions with this child were so filled with joy, I just "went with the flow." I often got more out of tutoring sessions than the kids.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I feel the same sometimes about teaching preschool. The joy in the kids' eyes (and seeing them learn new stuff without knowing it) makes my day.
The weather is to be blamed.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yep. Better weather would have meant a packed house and more "proceeds."
@Mike197602 (13345)
• Worcester, England
I think I'm underpaid in my job We get free food and other perks though which does make a big difference as I hardly ever buy food. Sounds like you had a good time and a nice dinner so maybe it was worth the low pay
• Pleasant Hill, California
Oh, it was for sure. I don't care that much how much we're paid for gigs. I just enjoy it when people enjoy our music.