This Is Not The Way To Change Things!

While this video reports 90 arrested as of this writing over 200 have been arrested. The question is what benefit is this to getting your point across? While some do not like the fact that Trump is now our President, this does nothing to address the real issues facing America. Protest peacefully but don't expect to be allowed to harm others with rocks and property damage without a response. Several law enforcement officers, Innocent bystanders and private businesses have been injured by acts of ignorance. While many are saying that the new President is racist , homophobic and basically the most hateful person living, has he done the actions or simply said words? Often we say things that don't come across the way we want them to. Things are said that are not kind. BUT It is not in the words but in the actions that truth is found. The violence demonstrated in these protectors and others around the country are the true ACTS of hatred, Prejudice and ignorance. Until such time as our President or Government attempts to take action to demonstrate this we need to weigh our actions. Many would say that the past 16 years has demonstrated a Government that Over Reached it's power. Even so none have acted out in this way to this extent before the Government took action toward the people. Yes there have been heated debates, active protests and opposition along the way but how often has it been to this extreme? What are your thoughts?
Fox News Washington-based correspondent Griff Jenkins found himself right in the middle of violent protests that broke out Friday six blocks from the parade ...
@sugartoes (40749)
• Greencastle, Indiana
I have seen what you shared on here & I have to agree it makes NO SENSE to me on WHY people that are destroying OTHER peoples property thinks it's right IT'S NOT! ! I know if they came to destroy MY property I'd shoot their AZZ'S & let god deal with them. I trust & have faith in Trump & God above things will turn around & people WILL be dealt with. for all those that are causing hate & discontent among others NEED to be dealt with HARD ! !
@Daljinder (21544)
@sugartoes Pardon me but that makes you any different than those protestors how? P.S.Not agreeing with the violence put on by protestors.
@FourWalls (13750)
@Daljinder -- the protesters are breaking the law. If they went to harm @sugartoes ' property she has a Constitutionally-guaranteed right to be safe in their home (4th amendment). Every state has some degree of "self-defense" law. They wouldn't be provoking the crime, but reacting to it. I hope that clears up the difference.
@Daljinder (21544)
@FourWalls True! Self-defense makes sense. What does entail though? Putting them one by one like dogs or giving a warning shot in the air? Even police give a warning shot I think.
I can agree with you on this, hurting police who are just doing their job (which is, atm a legal one, no one is rounding up ppl to camps or anything), and destroying others businesses or anything is criminal.
@Daljinder (21544)
While I don't agree with the violence the protests had brought in some places and agree that this is not the way to go for change..........we also need to see from where this came from. They didn;t just got up one day and decided that "Yep I will lit that limo on fire coz I feel like it". Whether you want to admit it or not, President Trump's careless comments and loose tongue is partly responsible for that. Had he not fought the campaign degrading, insulting and sp\reading hatred.... there wouldn't be any such outrageous reactions. We have a proverb in our language: "Boya ped babul ka to aam kahan se payega" Translation: "He that plants thorns must never expect to gather roses." "Sow wind and reap whirlwind." "Gather thistles and expect pickles." It's not just the Presidency they are protesting, if at all.
@topffer (34158)
• France
I agree with your conclusion and I should try to remember this proverb. This kind of violence happens in any protest in my country and is the fact of a small minority of people who are usually spotlighted by the media and are used to discredit the majority of protesters who are peaceful. Everybody condemns violence, but it does not mean that these protests were not started without some reasons.
@Daljinder (21544)
@topffer Everybody condemns violence, but it does not mean that these protests were not started without some reasons. Yes, exactly that is what is being overlooked over. But it shouldn't surprising since some people are hell bent on over-looking whatever Trump says or does. He is just being "misunderstood". I still can't get over the way he talked about his own daughters. *shudder* Way too disturbing!
@topffer (34158)
• France
@Daljinder He is boorish. I do not like the way the media are trying to make an issue with any phrase he said during his life. Personal attacks are never fair and should be banned in politics.
Protests like these really show how ugly some Americans, using that term loosely for them, can behave. Those who cannot manage to protest peacefully embarrass those for whom they say they support.
@sugartoes (40749)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@Corbin5 I totally agree, it a shame the way people act in such things, but as I keep hearing we all have opinions.
That's so true, I've never seen such hatred before because th4e person someone wanted to become president lost..If you ask me, it is very childish.
Words are not innocent. Actions can be instigated by words.
@MALUSE I never said words were innocent. Yes they can instigate actions. It has been very apparent for the last 8 years. Riots over false narratives of events before the investigation is even started. Division and Hate instigated by divisive words of Mr. Trump's Predecessor has created a lack of sense.
@Daljinder (21544)
@MALUSE Hitler did have the charm and used it, didn't he?
@Daljinder and @MALUSE Trump is not using Charm. Therein Lies the difference. Obama is liked, no doubt, and key to this is that he did use charm. It backfired and brought forth Donald Trump.
@fishtiger58 (30338)
• Momence, Illinois
I was just saying this very thing to my husband, it's way more violent this election and beyond
I have always thought when protests turn to violence and destroying others proberty than they are not doing what is right.
@mysdianait (64058)
Interesting read including the responses but may I ask if those arrested are US citizens and whether this is the first time, or not, that this type of protest has taken place?
@louievill (18662)
Hope everybody there stays sober, a peaceful protest is the way to go but things does not always turn out the ideal way. I'm seeing some parallels in what happened in our country before the martial rule of Mr.Marcos
• Austin, Texas
FYI. Someone suggested your discussion. If I may re-quote you sir. “Often we say things that don't come across the way we want them to.” True. But that's not the case with President Trump. At least, I don't think so. Nevertheless, I wouldn't waste a lot of time commenting on or even discussing what he said or says. Action always speaks way louder than words!! His actions - in his official capacity as a servant of the people - will speak volumes! Heard someone say Trump needs to make “presidential decisions”. He's got people in place to do work for him ... blah blah .. yadda yadda yadda. Uh huh. What kind of nonsense talk is that? Is that like a ready made excuse just in case he screws up? Total crap! The buck stops at his desk. He's the President! I am not familiar with the protest incident you are referring to; but protests or no protest, Trump is the President of the United States. UNDISPUTED FACT. Not an “alternative fact”. Regards the duty of law enforcement to keep law and order: ~ Americans are not ignorant people. Everybody knows there is no such thing as a “peaceful protest” that uses violence! So if people were arrested for causing UNREST as opposed to demonstrating peacefully, what did they expect? In what way is foolish misbehaving, acting up, screaming, complaining and causing disruption, but not accomplishing anything ~ under the disguise of “a right to a peaceful protest” ~ a fruitful endeavor? In what way can those acts be construed as "nation building"? Did I say “Americans are not ignorant people”? Well I'm saying it again because it bears repeating. Americans are not ignorant people. We know how to govern ourselves. I know that. You know that. Trump knows that too. He said so himself in his Inaugural speech. That's what I heard! So please my fellow Americans. Don't disappoint the man. He believes in US!
@anniepa (27238)
He doesn't really "believe" in anything but making himself richer. Why should any of us worry about "disappointing" him?
• Austin, Texas
@anniepa - It does look like the country is going backwards. It wasn't enough to elect a new POTUS. Most of the same folks are still in Congress. They don't look like they are making matters any better. It's almost like they show "two faces". You can't tell if they support something or disagree with it. The most we can hope for is that everybody goes through each and every decision and action with a fine tooth comb, examining, questioning, requesting legal opinions, etc. and hope the citizens understand and know what to protest and … truth is … I would rather there be “gridlock” between elected leaders and the citizens so that nobody can move! That's better than US going backwards.
@anniepa (27238)
@cmoneyspinner The problem is, with the GOP having the majority in both houses of Congress Donald will pretty much have free rein over everything he wants to do because the Republicans either agree with his extremist, bigoted ideas or they're to spineless to even speak out against his agenda. Violence is never the answer and I was VERY proud and impressed by the millions of protesters all around the country and even the world who PEACEFULLY marched with virtually no trouble or violence the day after the Inauguration. We can't change the fact that he got the electoral vote despite winning the popular vote by a ton but we CAN and MUST speak out and make our voices heard. We will NOT stand by and lost all that many of us worked and fought so tirelessly for in some cases for our entire lives. We will NOT go backwards without a hell of a fight!
@dodoazo (19577)
Well, everyone is entitled for his own disposition, for his own opinion. You have a new elected President whom some if not most of the people are not at ease with his policy or governance. The people had already expressed their own volition to vote for the person they want to be in power. The dice has finally cast and the winner got it. We have the same situation in our country. Some people expressed their ill feelings for having a President who has been claimed as the "killer of the poor people". Do we have the option for not supporting him? We are living int the country where he lives and her runs it. We have no choice for we are a law-abiding citizen.
@akalinus (15720)
They are acts by people who think they can do or say anything and we just have to put up with them. It is time they found out there are laws and we have to obey them.
• Trinidad And Tobago
I am with you...violence is NOT the answer. Hurting innocent people, supporting not knowing the cause, causing havoc because it's the thing to do...is not a solution for present ailment. Who voted? Not the same people? So, as you make you bed so shall you lie on it. Trinidad is the same thing. The present Rowley government is maligned every where...but he got the popular vote. So who voted? Must be the ones who turned out to vote. What else explains the situation....democracy at work...
@syeow1 (4909)
Oh so. Sad I understand feeling of protestors.we are protesting since 1947 ..
@reskyyandi (3690)
I dont like to watching demonstran people on TV
I am tired of hearing about people's discontent. I think that things should be left alone and this first year will show us what is good and bad about the presidency. Hey, I still say Trump might surprise us all. I will give my opinion when next year rolls round after all we are talking about my homeland.