Ten Favorite Time of Day Songs: Midnight Rider (#7)

@FourWalls (15217)
I guess this is starting to look like a "midnight" countdown instead of a general time of day list (no specific times, like The Who's "5:15"). There's another "midnight" song coming, but for now here's the next song on the list of my favorite songs with a generalized time of day in the title. #7: Midnight Rider - Allman Brothers Band For me, this is one of the "anthems" of southern rock. This is also one of the defining songs in the Allman Brothers' career. Formed by brothers Duane and Gregg Allman in the late 60s, the band combined blues (which you can hear on display in their classic song "Whipping Post" [which happened to be the B-side of the 45 of this song]), country ("Ramblin' Man"), and rock that more or less set the standard for every first-generation southern rock act that followed. Just as they were starting to gain commercial popularity (thanks to their live album The Allman Brothers At Filmore East) guitarist Duane Allman was killed in a motorcycle crash in Macon, Georgia in October 1971. Just over a year later, and three blocks from where that accident happened, bassist Berry Oakley also crashed his motorcycle and died from the injuries. Gregg Allman has maintained a successful solo career, and was briefly married to Cher in the mid-70s. Other members of the band became involved in other projects (such as Dickey Betts' solo work and Chuck Leavell's jazz/rock band Sea Level). The Allman Brothers Band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1995. They play "Ramblin' Man" to death on "classic rock" radio, but this is the one I'd rather hear six or seven times a day. Midnight Rider Written by Gregg Allman and Robert Kim Payne Recorded by the Allman Brothers Band From Idlewild South, 1971 I've got one more silver dollar:
Midnight Rider by the Allman Brothers.
Good choice I always liked Midnight Rider too.
Outstanding choice from the godfathers of southern rock.
You mean to tell me that The Allman Brothers did more songs other than "Ramblin' Man?" Mind blown.
@FourWalls (15217)
I hope you're sitting down. There are more Lynyrd Skynyrd songs than "Free Bird" and "Sweet Home Alabama." I'll pay for your ER visit if that piece of information gave you a heart attack.
@Dena91 (4645)
Love the Allman brothers
Not the best recording, but one of the bands I used to work with had this in their set
The Allman Bros as done by the Booze Bros Matt Travous: Lead Vocals Nate Richardson: Guitar/Backing Vocals Jeff Taylor: Guitar/Guitar-Like Noises Joe Nelson:...