Kaiser Permanente will FEEL MY WRATH!

Pleasant Hill, California
Kaiser is my medical provider. My doctor has the interpersonal social skills of chalk. Two weeks ago, I emailed him to order a refill for my back pain meds. I got a canned message from his assistant saying that I could order through the pharmacy. But the meds are a controlled substance, and I had been instructed to order through him. By the time I sorted things out and got my got my meds (more than a week after I originally requested them), I had run out. In fact, I had run out four days before I got them. Fortunately, my back wasn't so bad those days. But what if it had been heart meds? Or diabetes meds? Or psych meds? I hope Kaiser makes oodles of money. But I wish they were more in the business of keeping their patients safe and sane. My illegal planting is not about to stop. In fact it may escalate. Kaiser is going FEEL MY WRATH. Here's a picture of my Kaiser snow peas as of last Friday. I hope your medical provider is not as good at putting up walls as mine is. I never did get to speak to a human.
@PatZAnthony (11805)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
It's a mess! People all over are having these issues, even cancer patients.
@CoralLevang (40825)
Raises my hand to this one
• Pleasant Hill, California
That is terrible. I can joke about it because my life is not in danger, and I can stand a little pain. But if people's lives are at stake, it's not a laughing matter. What can be done?
@CoralLevang (40825)
@TheHorse to be honest with you, I'm not sure what can be done. I don't want to get on the ageism soapbox, but I don't think that they really care too much about those of us that are over the age of 50. I think that the medical community (or the insurance community probably better said) is less than concerned about what is needed from this particular demographic. And I say this because of the way that the generations communicate. Technology is for the Young, And for those who don't really care as much about having a conversation with someone. When you look at those of us over 50, talking to someone is much more important. So the big picture is you see this spanning all things we do from shopping, medicine, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera
@CoralLevang (40825)
So, you smoke your snow peas? LOL
• Pleasant Hill, California
Maybe something smoke-worthy will be my next step.
@CoralLevang (40825)
@TheHorse I just have to chew on it... I can't smoke anything
• Pleasant Hill, California
@CoralLevang What about "vaping"?
We just deal with a doctor and a pharmacist. The pharmacist deals with the insurance provider. What are Kaiser peas?
• Pleasant Hill, California
They are the snow peas I have secretly planted at Kaiser Martinez.
@TheHorse I see.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@paigea You didn't know about my time in jail for illegal planting?
@fishtiger58 (30737)
• Momence, Illinois
sadly it's all about the money
• Pleasant Hill, California
Sadly, that's the way it seems. I don't look forward to the days when Dr. appointments are like the drive through line at McDonalds. You tell the machine your symptoms, they use the same algorithms doctors use, and they give you a diagnosis.
@fishtiger58 (30737)
• Momence, Illinois
@TheHorse It could possibly be not that far away.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@fishtiger58 And then robots conduct the surgery?
We are lucky enough to be able to speak to humans at the moment. I wonder how long it will continue or if we too will have to deal with machines soon?
• Pleasant Hill, California
Is the same true in larger Australian cities?
@TheHorse I think so. We do get a lot of recorded messages on government sites. It can be hard to get to a human at those times.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@JudyEv I wish I could talk to maybe my great-grandparents. I would like to know whether the profit motive was as strong then as now, or whether there was a time when "providing good service" or "helping others" was the norm.
• Eugene, Oregon
My friend in SoCal who had the bone marrow transplant nearly three years ago has always been pretty happy with Kaiser, but not being able to get through to your doc is a real pain.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I think their specialists are good. My knee with the repaired/replaced ACL is stronger than the other one.
• Eugene, Oregon
@TheHorse That's great!
• Eugene, Oregon
@bagarad It sounds as if many errors were made there. I think his doctor friend should have told him if he knew about the cancer. I would not want health info withheld from me ever.
@DaddyEvil (22401)
I can't believe they would be so blase about something so important as your pain meds, pony! WTH? Do they think you only get them so you can be the big man at the party? And you can't even talk to a human? (I call those automated machines and play with them until I figure out what will get me through to a live person... I don't put up with machine nonsense! That's just a way to keep you from getting personalized service... I don't put up with that more than once from any place I call!) LOL! My phone customers love me because I tell them how to bypass the machines and talk to a live person! (grinning at you!) If putting you off getting your meds on time seems like it is going to be a problem, call the machine and start telling it you want the operator. Usually you can dial 0 after the machine starts talking. Some machines will just start talking again. If that happens, you've got an easy one. Just hit 0 every time it starts talking. After the 5th time, most machines will say, "I'm sorry you are having trouble, let me put you through to a live person." If the machine talks over you saying "Operator" or when you dial 0 then you will have to wait until the machine wants a response from you. (The worst thing you can do is remain silent. The machine will hang up on you every time!) Instead of giving the machine a response it lists, unless what you want is on the list, either say "operator" or dial 0. The machine will give some kind of response. If the response is not to pass you to a live person, then try saying "operator" again or dial 0 again. Keep doing that... Most machines will only keep you in limbo for so long before they are required to pass you to a live person who can deal with you. The places you call really do want your business, they just want your business without dealing with you or your special requests. They will deal with you IF you make them. This is just advice from someone who cares. If you choose to continue letting machines tell you what to do, that is your business. I don't and don't feel like anyone else should, either. I hope this helps.
@DaddyEvil (22401)
@TheHorse No, not shooting themselves in the foot, increasing their revenue. Look at what you just said and then think about it from their standpoint. See what I mean?
• Pleasant Hill, California
@DaddyEvil But if they didn't stress people out, fewer people would be sick, and they could kick their feet up and see fewer patients.
@DaddyEvil (22401)
@TheHorse Yes, and get less money, too.
@Platespinner (18533)
We had our own battle with our medical insurance a few years ago. Our first incident was when Blue Cross Blue Shield decided that my son needed to be switched from name brand to generic medication; despite the fact that our doctor insisted that switching was a serious risk. Did the insurance company care? Nope. A few years later my husband went from being employed by a small company to being an independent contractor. Because of our sons medical issues (he has epilepsy) we knew we had to maintain coverage to avoid having his condition considered a pre-existing condition under a new policy. We had no lapse in coverage but went from a corporate BCBS policy to an individual BCBS policy...yet because we went from corporate to individual his meds were not covered for a year because it was a pre-existing condition, had our local pharmacy (a small local business) not helped us out, there is no way we could have afforded to pay the $300+ a month for his medication.
• Pleasant Hill, California
How did the local pharmacy help you out? I'm glad to hear they did.
@TheHorse They provided the meds for what we had been paying as co-pay. Without their help we would have dug ourselves into a financial hole that would have taken a long time to get ourselves out of.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Platespinner I'm glad they came through for you. Big Med, like Kaiser, can be pretty brutal.
• Denmark
I can't complain in this respect. I always speak with a human being.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'm jealous!
• Denmark
@TheHorse We even have an office in our town and I can talk to real people in person.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@MALUSE That's a good thing. I generally don't go to Kaiser without an appointment. Their phone system makes it pretty hard to get in touch with a human.
the plants of rebellion amuse me, but it may be time for a new dr
• Pleasant Hill, California
You are right.
@vandana7 (57495)
I suspected you to be evil but not this evil to go and plant pee plants at Kaiser...smh..
• Pleasant Hill, California
Sigh. And you called me "innocent."
@Freelanzer (6460)
Don't have that problem here. I hope they get their act together and you don't have to go through that again.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Thanks. It's weird being up against an entity that large. I feel like a peasant, armed with a hand-made bow and arrow, trying to take over a castle armed with cross-bows and small cannons.
I hope net time ou et them a little faster. My the time you see a Doctor when you are in pain you could actully die. Sorry but that is true.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'm lucky that I just had to suffer lower back pain for a few days.
I had Kaiser long ago and did like them, I do not have them, now but they are my closest ER and help me quite bit. I do know others like my dad has a hard time getting prescriptions refilled for some reason. I always have a hard time reaching my doctor , so I email them, faster than the automated phone system
• Pleasant Hill, California
My knee surgery doctor was excellent. So was my original doctor, who retired.
@Gillygirl (15291)
• Sutton, England
I feel for you, I used to have issues over certain meds. It's sorted now but I got messed about over COPD medication. On one occasion I had to be hospilized.
• Pleasant Hill, California
That's just not fair. I wish medical providers would take their patients' health a bit more seriously.
i have no word on mine.But could say a lot
• Pleasant Hill, California
I hope yours is better than mine!
@nanette64 (13790)
• Fairfield, Texas
With my spinal injuries, I'm in constant pain but never use pain meds @TheHorse . When the pain level hits 15, I'll use an Icy Hot Patch and that works really well. I've gotten so use to an 8, that I really don't pay attention. Have you tried the patches? I pulled a muscle in my back the other day; put on a patch, and by the next day the pain was gone.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I have. They don't work for me.
@nanette64 (13790)
• Fairfield, Texas
@TheHorse Oh dang; I'm sorry to hear that. I know what you need.....a really nice, long massage. I'm available.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@nanette64 Thanks! I'll hop into my teleporter after I get some progress notes turned in.
@mommaj (22773)
How horrible. I ran out of refills and didn't know it until I went to order them from the pharmacy. Luckily, my pharmacy will give me meds until the prescription comes in from the doctor. You can live without thyroid meds, but it makes your body out of whack and challenges your health and psyche. I feel bad for you though. How nerve racking! Your peas look good and cared for with their own planter.
@mommaj (22773)
@TheHorse How rude! Guess they didn't want to feed anyone. LOL
• Pleasant Hill, California
@mommaj I bet some of them ate my snow peas, the varmints. They planted roma tomatoes in their stead, which I feasted upon at will.
@mommaj (22773)
@TheHorse Really? You must have inspired them to garden, or maybe there is another vigilante.
We have used Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield for years and have never had a problem with them. Hope things are better with them next time. Our doctor deals with them. We just pick up our meds at the pharmacy. Your peas look quite healthy!
@TheHorse I'm not familiar enough to respond.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@DianneN I'm just glad you have a good provider. I DO think Kaiser's specialists are good. I got ACL replacement surgery for $5.00 fifteen years ago. It's better than my other knee now!
I refuse to go to doctors anymore, all they seem to do is line the pockets of the pharmacies while repaying student loans. I've done much better finding holistic remedies for my back condition except for the surgery I had on the C4 or C5 vertebrae about 20 years ago. I wish I had a green thumb like you, I have no luck trying to grow veggies.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I thought I had a black thumb until I realized that I could grow corn and sunflowers in Oakland CA!
I tried sunflowers here and had minimal success @TheHorse but it's way too dry and gets way too hot in the spring for them to thrive .... not that I've given up, I still have some sunflower seeds, I just need to find a way to keep them wabbits from gettin to em before they hatch