Butt Night?

Otis Orchards, Washington
The other night I was watching tv when an ad came on. It was an advertisement for a hockey game between Spokane and the Tri-cities (Pasco, Kennewick and Richland, Washington). The announcer said, “Join us for butt night.” “Butt night?” I asked myself. “What in the world did they mean by butt night? Were they saying they were trying to get more butts into seats?” I listened to the ad and they repeated “butt night” several times. “Why on earth would they call it butt night?" My answer came at the end of the advertisement when they showed a printed version of the ad. It was not “butt night.” It was “buck night.” Apparently a dollar was all that was needed to get into the game. Maybe I need a hearing aid. My hearing used to be almost as sharp as Sheldon’s on The Big Bang Theory. At my last job they tested everyone’s hearing every year. My last test showed (as all my tests did) I had above the average person’s hearing for my age. If a person’s hearing was less than what it should be, then they would test them again a few weeks later when the hearing testing truck returned to test those who were not at work on the days the truck was there the first time. If the person failed that test, then they were sent to a independent company to have their hearing retested. If that test showed poor hearing then the person was told what they should do. I had never had to do that. The next time the ad came on, I actually heard buck night, but that may have been just because I knew it was buck night. Have you ever read, Under the Bleachers by C. Moore Butts? How about, Yellow River by I. P. Freely? Ok, ok. Those were just a couple of jokes I heard when I was a kid. Enough joking around. Have you ever heard something and later found out it wasn’t what you thought you heard? I’m sure that has happened to everyone at one time or another.
@suziecat7 (3393)
• Asheville, North Carolina
It happens to me way too many times. I need to get my hearing checked.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
Thankfully it doesn't happen to me that often. But I suppose the day is coming when I'll need a hearing aid.
• Uzbekistan
I know that this happens to many people but my hearing is still good.
I can imagine a "butt night" with the players mooning the spectators . Oh gosh, I mishear things ALL the time, especially with song lyrics.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
I never thought of it that way. How about the spectators mooning the players? Have you ever heard your husband say something that you thought was something really strange for him to say only to find out that he had said something totally different?
@RichardMeister So how many moons does the earth have? Although I can't think of anything at the moment, I'm sure that's happened . . . if anything, I am the mumbler, so it's very possible he would mishear me more than I would mishear him!
• Otis Orchards, Washington
@much2say There has been many moons since the day I was born. So you're a mumbler?
It happens between my husband and I all the time. And certainly we have misheard song lyrics many times over the years.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
Sometimes song lyrics are not all that clear. I read were someone thought Jimi Hendricks was sing "while I kiss this guy." I had never heard that. I had heard the proper words–while I kiss the sky. Then the next time I listened to the song I could see why they thought it was, "while I kiss this guy." A different song I used to think they were singing, "bathroom on the right" which made no sense. Then I found out it was, "bad moon on the rise."
@RichardMeister I have heard those ones. lol There is a song with the line Trying to get the jump on me. Hubby and I both heard it as Trying to get the witch to leave. lol My husband won't believe it even though we have the lyrics with the CD. He saiys it is Trying to get the witch to leave. (witch word actually begins with a b, but myLot says no no)
@Freelanzer (9499)
It is easy to confuse words that are close, especiallythey are not said clearly
@sallypup (28507)
• Moses Lake, Washington
I like butt night best. Thanks.