Who gets up when there is a strange noise?

United Kingdom
If you hear a strange noise that sounds like someone downstairs, do you get up? If you are single, do you get up or stay put and hope it was nothing, just your imagination. If you are in a couple, who gets up? You or your partner? I always get up, I don't know why, but it's always me. I have a kind of preoccupation with intruders so I am very safety conscious. I am only discussing this because the floorboards upstairs are creaking and it really sounds like someone is up there.
• Guadeloupe
@Clairelouiser Last week I had an intruder in the house but I had not heard him. I got up for a drink of water at around 2 pm because the night was so hot and I could not sleep because of it. I went to kitchen and put on light and there was a man standing looking at me with surprise on his face. He ran out of door possibly because it was far too hot for me to be wearing any clothes!
Oh my goodness! Well, at least you sent him away!
• Guadeloupe
@Clairelouiser I doubt if he will come back!
Yeah, I would get up, but my Dog would warn me and, start barking.
@Clairelouiser lol true if he was in a deep sleep. I might be on my own, but he mostly growls or barks if hears anything. What kind of dog do you have?
Where I live, I don't have to worry about intruders so I don't awake in the night over that. On rare occasions a noise like the wind will disturb me.
@Lupita234 We get Santa Ana winds.
It is funny where these noises come from. Usually it is me who gets up as I like to know what is going on.
@Lupita234 I think that must be it. The iron contracting as the temperature drops.
@fei1125 (611)
• Chengde, China
If I hear any stange noise I will go to check. If I am scared, I will open the light and sleep.
We do not have a downstairs so if I hear I noise I go and check.
@moirai (1853)
I do! Well... if I want to make sure what the sound means... We have a small house (no upstairs or downstairs - unless you count the basement) so it's not hard to look around. Sometimes, I already know what the sounds mean. For instance... lizards normally frolic somewhere in the kitchen and they sometimes knock a plastic spoon to the floor. When I hear that sound, I know what it means and don't look anymore. But if it's some other sound that doesn't sound like a plastic spoon hitting the floor, I might go and check it out. As for sounds coming from outside... I would normally always check what the sounds mean. It could just be a cat jumping on the roofs, but I'd feel better finding out if it was indeed a cat instead of a burglar...
I usually do get up and check what is going on usually but sometimes i dont because i just figure it is someone whom lives here
@rina110383 (24135)
At my parents' place, all of us get up because the pitbulls and bulldog will be barking loudly, then we'll check the CCTV monitors. Here at my place, no. The building is heavily guarded & secured.
@GrannyGee (1768)
• Louisburg, North Carolina
We have dogs and they are always running out to bark at deer, possums, raccoons and wild cats and even a young bear once! We can tell by listening to their barks if a person is there ... it is definitely different. If I didn't have dogs I would be up constantly
@sans224 (1834)
I am the one who wake up first.
@Gillygirl (17282)
• Sutton, England
Someone broke into my hotel room in Paris. I woke to find a shadowy figure rifling through my bag. I saw it was a girl so I grabbed her by the hair and wacked her. She ran out leaving me with a clump of her hair.
Scar and I normally sleep through almost anything, but with the trains making a racket at night we've grown accustomed to noises.