Place Lag

@owlwings (39757)
Cambridge, England
We all know about 'jet lag', even if we haven't experienced it. It's when our internal body clock gets out of sync with the local time because we have come from another time zone and our body hasn't adjusted to the customary eating and sleeping times of our new time zone. But what about 'place lag'? I mean the kind of experience you have when you come back from a day or a weekend or a week away which was exceptional and amazing and your mind has not yet properly adjusted to the new place you are in. It makes the reality of where you are now seem somewhat dreamlike and unreal for a while until you adjust. I've experienced it most often when I've spent the morning on the beach or in a forest and have then come back to spend the afternoon at work or in town or in some other completely commonplace environment. For a time, you are left wondering which is the dream and which the reality! It can also happen when coming out of the cinema having seen a totally absorbing film or even when looking up from a book in which one had been completely involved for an hour or so. For a moment (or even longer) you don't quite know where you are and ordinary things seem strange and even new to you. If you can, it is sometimes instructive to notice and try to remember the 'newness' of the place you are returning to because seeing familiar things in a fresh light helps you to appreciate what you have better and to notice things which you might otherwise ignore. What was your experience of 'place lag'? Did you find it scary or unsettling or did it make you see things in a new way?
@UmiNoor (3535)
I guess it's a kind of disorienting feeling that you're talking about? Like when coming out from a cinema or after being immersed in a riveting book. Is it the same as when you just woken up from a dream or nightmare? I sometimes feel disoriented after waking up from a deep sleep. Can't decide if I am still in a dream.
@owlwings (39757)
• Cambridge, England
Waking from a dream has something of the same quality.
I had this strange feeling when we still lived in Monte-Carlo and bought the house here. We only came here for vacations but when I went back "home" I had the feeling to be in a strange place where I did not belong.
@owlwings (39757)
• Cambridge, England
I have a strange feeling when I go to stay in my nephew's cottage (which used to be my sister's husband's family home) by the sea in Cornwall that I am 'coming home'. It's very odd because I grew up in a village in the flattest of country almost the furthest from the sea that you can be in England yet I seem to be drawn to these ancient, rocky Celtic places (and I don't have a drop of Celtic blood in my ancestry). I can only think that I loved those rocky storm-swept shores once in a previous life!
@owlwings I also believe in previous lives. I have lived almost 30 years in Monte-Carlo and I have always felt it was "temporary" residence there. Here I feel at home, I love those mountains and rocky places and I know that there is Celtic blood in my ancestry. Even my family name seems to be of Celtic origins: Nava.
I went throught that when we moved to another state that was two hours different than our time zone. It does threw you off for awhile.
I'm not sure I've ever really experienced this, except for when awakening from a dream, particularly a dream in the middle of the day. I have had vaguely similar feelings which come just from being somewhere, daydreaming, and then realising I'm somewhere else {because my feet have carried on walking, or the bus has sped merrily along} ... it's one of the reasons I don't want to drive!
My parents often find they have the place lag. This is why they will bring some medicine like the digestion medicine when they go to another place. I can adjust to many places easily. I am lucky. In fact I like the difference. When I go to other places, I even want to try the local food as one of my explorations.
I can honestly say I've never experienced such a thing. I see things new or different from most people on a moment by moment basis!
I had japan to america jet lag, I found myself responding in japanese on and off for a week! plus american food tasted odd, and people seemed too tall.
What an interesting notion. I rarely see each day as common place because my 3 cats and 1 dog keep me on my toes as to whether or not to whip out that camera.
@JESSY3236 (7295)
I have experienced that when I walk out of a movie theater, and if I have been reading a really good book.
I suppose what strikes me most is that you can have the most amazing time away (5 months in Europe last year) but once you've been home for just a week or so it seems the previous experience was years ago.