The truth about earning online

Napping with the toys
El Paso, Texas
It is easy to earn online if you keep your sights low. If you think you can quit your job to work online then make sure you have a top notch degree in web hosting, programming and web designing, it's the only way you can actually make this a lucrative JOB. There are probably other ways as well but all require a top notch degree of some sort, the ones I listed makes it much easier than having to hire someone with those degrees. And then there are people like me. I earn small amounts by using search engines that will give me bonus points for searching once in a while and when I buy through their affiliates I get double the cash back, first with the points return per dollar spent and then via the credit card I use that gives me a % back, it works for me. Just so you know, I buy a lot of my pantry food items via sites like Walmart, Target and Vitacost then I buy my pet food that way as well. It isn't much, but I finally got $35 cash back on my credit card and yes, it took a few months. Well, it's Monday and I'm just keypunching while Ally is napping. How about you, what cha doin today?
@Platespinner (19153)
I have to scratch my head about people who claim to make their "living" blogging and then spend most of their blogging time talking about how they can't pay their bills and are dependent on food pantries to feed their families--that is NOT a living. In another year or so I'm going to need to contribute a greater amount to our household coffers, and I suspect I'm going to have to go out and get a real job in order to do that. Meanwhile I do enjoy the few dollars that I make here and there in my play time.
• Midland, Michigan
You said that somewhere else recently, Joanne. What will be changing in the year or so? Is it that your husband will be retiring or maybe one or more of your kids will be going to college or something like that?
It isn't easy to earn online. And even those with the right education can find it challenging if the market changes and there are fewer buyers. I hope you get a well paying job that'll make up for any ify type bosses you may end up working for. My last job lasted 25 years and I never actually liked it there, I was surrounded by people who rarely spoke English unless they had too which made me feel like an outcast. I'm so glad I'm retired, at least my furbabies try to "speak" so I can understand.
@MarshaMusselman I'm down to one homescholar, and she is currently a high school sophomore and is independent enough that I can consider working at least part time. My husband plans to retire in about 14 years.
Ally should be a model. That dog can strike a pose that is just perfect!! I can handle myLot but other sites I just do not have the time to be a part of.
I'm a part of 6 sites but I spend the most time here. The earnings aren't great but every penny counts so I'm glad if I can make $30 each at 2 other sites yearly and up to $25 on another site every few months. It does add up a little plus I'm having fun.
I know nobody who can make a living online. You can make a little money, that is nice to have, but not enough. To make a living you need a real job.
I only know of Bill Gates. Of course he made his fortune developing what most of us use to access the web. It's always those who create the first of something popular that actually benefit.
@rebelann NO Bill Gates made his fortune well before the WEB selling to IBM the software to run the first personal Computer. He did not even developed the software himself.
I thought he made his fortune by developing the first Windows app way back in the 1990s @LadyDuck .... well, I never really read much about him. As for the first personal computer, it did not have a windows app on it plus it was extremely expensive back in 1982.
@suziecat7 (3455)
• Asheville, North Carolina
It is difficult to make a living online. I do okay with my freelance writing but I'm not getting rich, for sure.
I think the ones that get rich are those who have the knowledge to write and design their own websites and even then they have to have some kind of marketing scheme. I like the little bit I get for what I do, it's enough to help pay for the pet food.
• Midland, Michigan
@rebelann I've joined a few groups in the past that shows how to write ebooks and then how to market them to get online orders, but that all take more time and money than I have to invest to get it started. Not sure if any of it will prove to be possible once I have more freedom in those two areas.
@topffer (31202)
• France
@rebelann The best earners actually are smartphone apps developers, but apps are becoming more professional everyday and it will not last long.
• Midland, Michigan
Years ago I thought I would be able to earn online one day and while that might be possible to earn a little more that a retirement wage, I realize it won't be enough to compare in any way to what I'm bringing in now while still working. Once I do retire, hopefully there are still enough of you around that participate in the types of things you mentioned here that I can then learn how to begin some of that. I do already use swagbucks for my search engine when I'm using chrome and I finally was able to get through and do one of their surveys that earned me forty-four cents a few days ago. In the past, each time I've answered all the questions, it's always told me I don't fit the parameters for doing any surveys at that time. So it was a surprise when it did work. I don't have the time currently to watch movies or videos in the background and I support the store I work at by shopping there. As far as what I did today, I attended an informational thing about joint camp and what to expect before and after surgery and the exercises I should begin doing. Then, I went to Planet Fitness with a young gal from work and rather than only being there about twenty minutes to one half hour, I actually stayed and exercised about an hour and don't feel any worse for wear than normal. Then, I took a nap this afternoon and just finished a salad. I need to figure out what else I'll be eating shorthly.
If you ever get the time you really should take some courses in programming and IT. Those will at least help you achieve some of what you're looking to do
• Midland, Michigan
@rebelann I'm not really interested in those things at all and won't be looking to do them once I retire especially if I work until I'm seventy as I'm hoping to do.
I hope you can @MarshaMusselman Best of luck.
@rina110383 (24202)
Reported for work early today so I could leave the firm early. I agree with the top notch degrees to get a lucrative job online. My JD (Juris Doctor) helped me get regular & high paying clients on Upwork.
But with that kind of degree you'd still have to do some field work isn't that right?
@rina110383 (24202)
@rebelann Some clients on Upwork just want motions/petitions/contracts to be done online. Just few research and facts from the client, then I'll draft the required legal document. Most are paper works, others involve legal consulting done through skype.
I sure hope the money is worth the time spent @rina110383 that's the real problem with online earning, usually it takes hours of keypunching to achieve even $5
@libster (170)
• Richland, Washington
I think most people are out just to earn a little pocket money. I certainly don't expect much of anything.
There are all kinds of people online, some still believe they can get rich here even though they don't have a top degree.
@libster (170)
• Richland, Washington
@rebelann They probably are idealistic when they start, but figure it out soon enough.
Some do @libster but there are always those who just won't give up. I'm not sure if that's really a bad thing, who knows.
@mohdovi (1091)
I think its difficult to live on online income. Sometime you gt more work sometime not and this is same with income
Few people actually make a good living online.
@mohdovi (1091)
@rebelann yes only few
@Morleyhunt (17289)
Not that I'm setting out to earn online...I just earn a couple $$ a month on Mylot.
I did set out to earn online out of desperation but after I started getting my SS I decided to be happy just to earn a few dollars here and there.
All these small amounts help.
With all the fun I'm having online it just sweetens the pot.
@rebelann That's really good that you're having so much fun. I really enjoy it here too.
Do you spend time on other sites as well @JudyEv ?
@HazySue (17580)
You always have such great pictures of your babies. I have been online for over 6 years and at the very first I did have dreams of quitting my job and sitting at home making tons of money. I learned it is not something I can do. I am content to make the bits and pieces I make.
I started out back in 2000 but back then all I did was chat on chat rooms with a friend of mine, that didn't last all that long because those chat rooms were so confusing and then of course my PC got a virus so there was lesson #1. I didn't get making money online until 2011, but by then I was already retired.
@HazySue (17580)
@rebelann I do enjoy being online. The internet has come a long way since 2000.
You're right @HazySue I'm addicted and soon I'll need a support group for that addiction.
Good for you to make money smartly! I tried so hard to catch up on notifications today, vacuumed, dusted, cleaned the bathrooms after my morning walk. Had company for a drink, then went out to dinner with them. Ready for bed!
Thanks, at least I make a little all while having fun. Damn, I'm exhausted ..... you really need to slow down, I don't think I could take much more
@rebelann At least you made money. We spent it!
Isn't that what vacations are for @DianneN ? To spend money?
@browneyed (2526)
I don't think you need a top notch degree, or one in any of the ones you mentioned, to make a living online. It's great if you have it, but I don't feel it's necessary. There are good programmers who don't have a degree. There are especially lots of young people who are very good programmers before they even make it to university. What you need is skills (preferably skills that are in demand), and sometimes, those can be gained without a degree education. Not just skills, though. Focus, determination, self belief, etc.
That's a good point. The key is having the right skill for the kind of audience that will help make your endeavor pay well. But as with anything else there are those who will always fill the audience roles and makes very little, I am such a person, and then there are those who have the flair to create sites, like Mylot for example, whereby they gain a large audience. But as with all things in our society the bottom of the pile always outnumbers the top end.
@browneyed (2526)
@rebelann - I hope you haven't resigned yourself to making very little. It might not be easy to make more, but it's possible.
It's more that the amount of time necessary to get to the point of actually earning a decent wage exceeds the amount of time I wish to spend on it @browneyed
@Shellyann36 (8566)
Yep, earning online is not an easy task. I am working today. Yesterday was very busy. I hit the bank and the grocery store before picking up the twins at school.
I don't know how I missed your comment, sorry. The more time you have to spend online the more pennies you make but I'm betting that anyone who divides their online earnings into hourly returns will find they rarely make enough to quit their day jobs. Of course there are those with an expertise that gives back rave returns, they are rare however.
@rebelann Oh how I wish I had that knowledge to make the rave returns!!!
Yeah, me too @Shellyann36 I always seem to be 2 days late and a dollar short
Had a short day at work. Made good use of the time to come home, tidy up the house, and make a pot of pea soup. I have given up on sites that you can make money on. Too much work involved for too little money. I would rather be here and benefit from the good friendships I have made.
The time required to make $30 dollars was almost 365 days simply because I never try to do surveys anymore as I seem to be too old to qualify .... almost all of them are geared for young parents or college kids.
@rebelann on a survey site I tried to participate in, most of the surveys I didn't qualify for either.
The last time I tried was 2 years ago @ElusiveButterfly it wasn't worth the effort to bother with them.
@DWDavis (10915)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
We had a teacher workday today. I got 5 days of lesson plans written, cleaned off my desk, and filed or round filed lots of paperwork.
Filing is so tedious, I used to get stuck doing that all the time. It's ok when it's just for a little while but then it gets boring.
@DWDavis (10915)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
@rebelann Fortunately, 9 out of 10 pieces of paper I was hanging onto I didn't need anymore, hence the round file.
Still it sounds boring @DWDavis I've been doing some of that stuff myself so here I am keypunching away ..... at least it's fun here.
@dodoazo (12279)
If you invest online, it is the best way to get big money. If fortunate, you may become an instant millionaire. However, you cannot do away with a big risk of losing your money if the site you have invested your money would become a scam. Nowadays, bitcoins investment reaps a big return of investment. I think you are aware of that.
I do not invest online at all. My home is my only investment and since I live here it is not a stock commodity.
@lokisdad (4293)
Online work can be make you money if you have a degree like you said or if you have special skills. Some money is better than none plus it keeps you busy which is good.
Yepper, so true.
Very, very true. One must have a marketable skill to find an actual job online. I think some of their time has to be working with people. I know someone who does tax returns and book keeping from home. She still has to meet with the clients sometime. Our financial advisor works from home. We have met with him in his home office, and at our home. He attends seminars, etc. He has a real work from home job, a lot of it is done on the internet but not all of it. I knew a secretary who was able to do a lot of her work from home while her kids were young. Her employer helped her set that situation up. But searching the internet for random sites that are going to let you make a living on line - I don't see that working out.
Those people you mentioned couldn't do their jobs on a grand scale, it sounds like it all has to be somewhat local. Of course there are some lucky writers who have published via Amazon but I have to wonder if they actually make all that much from selling a book online.
Well still u got $35. Here in our country we have this app where you can take pictures of your receipt and inreturn you can get something back like 30php for on receipt amounting to 2,000php
It averages to about $9 a month and I spend a whole lot more to get that ..... it's ok though, I only use credit for food and necessities, clothes and stuff like that just has to wait.