Beauty Pageants = objectification of women?

@lealuvy2j (1989)
The Miss Universe beauty pageant will be held here in the Philippines so this is currently being debated. There are groups who are saying that beauty pageants promotes objectification of women while the current Ms. Universe which happens to be Filipino says that it actually promotes women empowerment because the contestants could promote their advocacies on a wider platform. For me it is not really a big deal, I don't think beauty pageants exploits women.
• Peoria, Arizona
The pageants themselves are not supposed to be objective of women, they are a sense of empowerment. It is how the media and society talks about them makes them objectification. Why can't women and men strut on a stage? Wear bathing suits. and say what they want in the world? Normal people do this everyday, these people just wanted to do a little extra.
@lealuvy2j (1989)
I guess a lot of people make this a bigger deal than it actually is. I agree though that it we can look at it to empower women.
• Peoria, Arizona
@lealuvy2j It is just another form of entertainment that admires beauty. Now I do think it sucks that it is only skinny girls that go in, but perhaps soon people will admire all forms of beauty.
The social group is just seeking attention, the fact they made their own pageant and candidates are issues of the country is just a way to get attention.
@magallon (18124)
I think these women who plans to stage a rally against Ms. Universe pageant are all paid.. I think there is somebody behind them..
Nothing new, even the rallies over the streets most of the time.
@magallon (18124)
@Letranknight2015 True.. and many of them use these rallies as their bread and butter...
@Mike197602 (13899)
Feminism, to me, means empowering women to do what they want to do. Maybe they want to be a house wife, a nurse, a CEO, the prime minister of a country...or enter a beauty pageant. How men see those women is irrelevant...as long as they are able to do whatever they want to do I've no problem. What I do have a big problem with is a religion that appears to encourage women to cover up in case men find them attractive...that has no place in 2017
@lealuvy2j (1989)
I really like what you said especially the part about how men see it being irrelevant.
@Mike197602 (13899)
@lealuvy2j Thanks...how men see women IS irrelevant. It's how they see themselves that matters.
Gabriela is just asking for attention! Thinking that the Government is blind towards the issues of today, not to mention Media like GMA 7 would bother airing it!
@lealuvy2j (1989)
Gabriela is a making a big deal out of nothing. I don't get it either and to think Monique Wilson a famed broadway actress is part of this puzzles me
@lealuvy2j Well, she's feminist as far as I recall. The organization always seeks attention all the time.
@JustBhem (41604)
• Davao, Philippines
This kind of pageant promotes awareness that no matter what the seasons are we can stand for it. That women can do things men can do.
@lealuvy2j (1989)
I agree. There are just people who make big deal about nothing. I watched the pageant and these women are living their dreams and nothing is wrong with living their dreams.