The Difference Between Sleepy and Tired?

Marion, Kansas
Is there any difference between sleepy and tired? I am just feeling very fatigued, unmotivated and unable to work on much. I am making sure to get enough sleep though. Last night I felt so tired that I was in bed before nine and never even knew when my husband came to bed. I slept well, but still just feel lethargic. I know the weather is due to change, maybe I am feeling that. All I know is that I would like to crawl in bed, draw the covers over my head and stay there all day. However, what I really will do is go to work. See you guys later. I was too tired to get online much last night at all.
I hope you feel better soon. Sometimes we just feel physically and emotionally drained no matter how much sleep we get. Take care.
• Marion, Kansas
I am doing things that are supposed to help, like getting out in the early morning sun if we have it, and drinking more water.
@GardenGerty That is good. I hope it works for you!
Sleepy is when your body needs more time to recover from last day's hard work. Tired is when it hasn't recovered and demands you to hold your thoughts and actions for a while so it may have a chance to repair itself.
• Marion, Kansas
Very well put. Sometimes my hard work is in my mind.
@masood72 (4173)
• Amersfoort, Netherlands
yes sleepy meaning wish to streching and want close eyes
• Marion, Kansas
Stretching is a great way to prepare to sleep.
Sleepy is when your eyes drop closed constantly and you are ready to hit the pillow. Tired is bone weary but you still have some time before sleepy sets in.
• Marion, Kansas
Unfortunately last weekend I was tired all weekend, but sometimes not sleepy.
@GardenGerty .....I know how that is. I am depressed all the time and tired goes a long with that. But, not always sleepy until 6a. or later.
@fishtiger58 (30304)
• Momence, Illinois
It's a good question but I think they are two different things. You can work really hard on something and be tired but not sleepy.
• Marion, Kansas
You have a good point. Hard physical and mental work can make you tired, but at the same time also stimulate you too much to sleep.
@fishtiger58 (30304)
• Momence, Illinois
@GardenGerty Very true
They have different meanings....I am often tired but very seldom am I sleepy.
• Marion, Kansas
I used to be neither, but these last few years I am often tired. I still do not get as sleepy as my husband.
@GardenGerty I don't sleep very well at all..if I get 4 hours some nights that's a lot.
@atoz1to10 (6898)
I think you'd better go to see a doctor. If you are still tired after you sleep then you might be down with something.
• Marion, Kansas
I see my doctor often. I have fibromyalgia and diabetes. My body may have been fighting off something, though. I have co workers who are too ill to work this week.
@atoz1to10 (6898)
@GardenGerty Look after yourself..
• Shillong, India
Seems you are tired physically that makes you sleep very fast.
• Marion, Kansas
I did go to bed early and I almost never have trouble going to sleep at night.
It is hard to work out sometimes why we feel so tired. It is a sign of depression isn't it? Feeling so lethargic.
• Marion, Kansas
Yes, you are right, sleepiness can be sign of depression. Fatigue is more often a sign of anemia, and of dehydration and chronic illness. CFS and Fibro are characterized by fatigue. Our body sends us alerts to try to get us on track. So, I am fighting this.
@dfollin (12114)
With fibromyalgia I just get fatigued a lot. And my daughter keeps telling me, why don't you just say tired or sleepy. Being fatigued is drained. It may just be temporary. Hope you feel better soon.
• Marion, Kansas
Yeah, I had not been this fatigued with my fibro in quite a while. I know it was made worse by some stress, but also by not drinking enough water and by waking up a lot at night.
I can relate to this as there are many days when I'm just too tired to do anything even if I got a good nights sleep. I hope you can recharge your battery and have more energy
• Marion, Kansas
When I am that tired I get to where I want to quit working. That is sad, because my job tends to stimulate my mind and keep my body moving. I think I discovered yesterday that I just do not drink enough water to keep me recharged. On sunny days I am trying to get more sunlight.
• Pamplona, Spain
Days when al of us can feel like that regardless of how much rest we get. Mine was emotional. All the up and down things of the day had dragged me down a bit too much and I was asleep before I could say Good Night. Hope you feel better soon.
• Marion, Kansas
All this weekend past and into Monday evening I felt exhausted, but not really sleepy. I did/do have some things on my mind that are draining to me. They will eventually be resolved. I did go to bed early and sleep soundly, but that did little to relieve my fatigue. I drank more water yesterday. Not necessarily on purpose, but felt better last night.
Feeling tired can be more from mental and physical weariness where you are awake.
• Marion, Kansas
I did have some stressful things on my mind.
Sometimes there is a reason for us to feel like that.
• Marion, Kansas
I had some stressful stuff on my mind, and then I also think I have been dehydrated.
I am not sleepy, but I am tired, I do not sleep well due to my closed nose and I am tired all the day.
• Marion, Kansas
When we do not sleep well, it does leave us very tired.
@mohdovi (1096)
Sleepy means your mind and body want rest and your eyes getting closed it occur after regular interval while tired means only your body want rest to gain energy and it depend on how much work you done.
• Marion, Kansas
Tiredness also seems to depend on how well you are fueling your body with healthy food and plenty of water. I get enough sleep but sometimes need to rest anyway.
There's a huge difference between the two. I feel physically exhausted pretty much all the time these days, but not necessarily tired enough to need sleep.
• Marion, Kansas
I know that the diabetes has some bearing on how I am feeling. The arthritis in my hands and feet does too. I do not seem to have neuropathy at this time. I have not been drinking enough water, and then days I do not work seem to leave me lacking energy. Hard to figure on that one.