A Silly Thing To Do To My Computer

By Jabo
United Kingdom
I didn't get a computer until 3 years ago, in fact I'd never even touched one. Anyway, I merrily went on my way learning all this new stuff as best I could, and then one day I noticed that my screen was a bit dirty. So I sprayed it with window cleaner and gave it a good rub with a paper napkin. I was pleased with the result - a nice clean smear-free screen. When I casually mentioned this to my family, everybody was horrified. They said I must have ruined my screen for sure, so I got the computer out and showed them that it was working just fine. In fact it worked fine until a few months ago, when I got a replacement (nothing to do with the screen.) However, I did realise that I was lucky to get away with it, especially since I hadn't unplugged it when I was doing the spraying. It could have been a very costly mistake. Now I just use a microfibre cloth, but it still leaves it a bit smeary sometimes. Have you ever done something silly to your computer or tablet?
@hereandthere (21966)
i haven't spilled anything on it yet (i know other people have). i've pulled the plug from the wall before when it took forever and ever for it to shut down. i'm wondering if i can soak this old keyboard in a basin of soapy water and scrub the keys with a brush.
@hereandthere Lol - I wouldn't try it if I were you
@jaboUK i think you can even take out the keys one by one. i just want to clean it thoroughly.
@Asylum (46351)
• Manchester, England
Placing a keyboard in water is definitely not a prudent move.
I would have done much the same once. My keyboard seems to get dusty easily. I have a little brush that I use but it doesn't always get all the gunk out.
@JudyEv I use a softish toothbrush on my keyboard, and I occasionally give it a blast with the nozzle of the vacuum cleaner.
@jaboUK Mostly I tip mine upside down and give it a good shake which, now I see it written down in black and white, may not be the best idea either.
@JudyEv Oh you just made me laugh with that remark - so droll
I have never done something like this, but many years ago I have spilled Schweppes on my husband keyboard. Of course the keyboard had to be replaced and from that day (I think at least 20 years ago) nothing liquid (or any food) are allowed near the computers.
@LadyDuck I'm afraid that I often have a cup of tea while I'm on the computer, but I'm careful and haven't spilled anything so far.
@jaboUK I am always very careful, I remember how the accident happened. There was a friend at home, he was sit at the desk with my husband, they were looking at something on the monitor. He asked for a Schweppes and while I was putting the glass on the table he moved and the content spilled on the keyboard. I was not the guilty one, but the result was the same, the keyboard stopped working.
@bunnybon7 (31651)
• Holiday, Florida
okay, now that you mentioned that it does remind me of doing the very same thing years ago and the keys began to stick and couldn't get it all out. so had to replace it
Not really, but I've been an electronics geek because of my love for stereo equipment since I was 10 years old or thereabout. Now, that is not to say I haven't done any stupid stuff...like forgetting to unplug it when I open it.
@JolietJake You must know all there is to know about this sort of stuff if you've been interested in it from that young age.
@jaboUK Not as much as I want to know, but I can fix/replace most everything in one...I've never had anyone else work on one for me.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Funny that my love of stereo gear didn't translate to a love of computers.
@Asylum (46351)
• Manchester, England
That horrifies me as well. A modern computer screen is no longer glass as it was in the old days, but a sensitive membrane called Thin Film Transfer. You were seriously fortunate not to totally ruin the screen.
@Asylum Yes, I was lucky to get away with it. I hope @amadeo sees this, as he says he does it often.
@Asylum (46351)
• Manchester, England
@jaboUK Computer screens are similar to the smart television screens, so a microfiber cloth is the only practical item to use.
@Asylum It's alright to slightly dampen the microfiber with water, isn't it? Some stubborn marks won't shift without doing that.
• Preston, England
@jaboUKsometimes when using public toilets I left my bag on the nearest sink top and one afternoon it slipped in the sink which had an automatic sensor to start the taps flowing so my bag, with my tablet in it, got soaked but luckily it dried out safely and I have never done that since
@arthurchappell You were lucky to get away with that, as i was with my spraying.
• Preston, England
@jaboUK yes I thought the tablet was doomed at first but it dried off ok
• Pleasant Hill, California
Oh, I took one cell phone river rafting. I had forgotten about that.
My laptop has a faulty battery and needs recharging quite often, However it alerts me when I have 20 or 15 minutes remaining before it hibernates. On a few occasions I get carried away and forget about the notice until it shuts down in the middle of something important.
@Kandae11 Can't you leave it plugged in while you are using it?
@jaboUK I do, but when they say - fully charged - I plug it out. Then before you know it, the notice comes up and if I don't replug it right away, I usually forget.
@Kandae11 Oh right - I just keep mine plugged in even when it's fully charged.
@Daljinder (19583)
Well my brother, who is a sort of germophobic, disinfected his tab. The "infection" and "germs" were destroyed alright.
@Daljinder Oh my - he didn't get away with it like I did!
@Daljinder (19583)
@jaboUK No, he didn't. Once as a kid, he used petrol to "disinfect" his video games CD's/DVD. Destroyed again! Good thing is he learned his lessons and we learned to stay away from his personal belongings so he doesn't feel the need to "disinfect" anymore things.
@Daljinder Petrol? Apart from anything else the smell must have been awful.
I wash mine off with baby wipes and that seems to work.
@jstory07 That's good to know that baby wipes are ok. I've been afraid to use anything but a damp microfibre.
• Pleasant Hill, California
That sounds pretty reasonable.
@Ceerios (4777)
• Goodfellow, Texas
@jaboUK - Ms Janet - Computer screens differ from one to the next, but most utilize really high electrical voltage to do their thing. Glass-covered screens will tolerate a damp cloth cleaning, but wetting things is risky - especially if the power is still on when the cleaning is done. Let me give you a "for instance --- The high voltage (usually from 20K volts on up) behind a home TV screen's functioning causes dust (aerosols) in the room air to be attracted to the TV screen's surface. If you want to use that situation to "guesstimate" the abundance of radioactive radon gas in the room air, you can swipe some of the TV screen with a damp cotton swab and then use a radioactivity counter (like a GM counter) to assay the cotton swab's pickup of screen-captured aerosols. Doing this is an eye-opener for sure. -Gus-
@Ceerios I'll take your word for it Gus - I'm not about to do any experiments with radioactive counters, thank you. I've learnt my lesson anyway, but it's surprising that some people responding here see nothing wrong with spraying their screens.
Those microfiber cloths work okay but don't get the screen smudge free. You certainly are lucky you didn't ruin your computer by spraying it. When I was working the girl who sat in the desk next to mine decided to put magnets on her computer which in fact totally ruined her computer. Our boss wasn't too happy that he had to replace it.
@Marilynda1225 So what do you do to get rid of the smudges? I just dampen the microfibre a bit and use that. I didn't know that about magnets, but it's not something I would think of doing anyway.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@jaboUK For cell phones, I recommend a mixture of sulfur, charcoal, and potassium nitrate. Saturate your cell phone with a nice mixture and touch with a lighted match. No more smudges.
@VivaLaDani13 (15943)
• Perth, Australia
@jaboUK oh my! I can't say I've done anything except maybe punching the keyboard. Only, that wasn't due to the computer messing up. Was due to something an ex boyfriend was telling me via messages.
@Daljinder (19583)
@VivaLaDani13 Did you wish it was that ex instead of that keyboard?
• Perth, Australia
@VivaLaDani13 Did you damage the keyboard when you did that?
@syeow1 (4876)
Yes a lot.i disassemble many things since my childhood..
@syeow1 Computers weren't around when I was a child
@syeow1 (4876)
@jaboUK OK.Did you disassemble any thing in your childhood..
@syeow1 Only dolls etc!
@responsiveme (13204)
You sure have a lot of tech devices...though you started late:) I sit at my desk top and only recently have upgraded to a smart phone and am doing a lot of silly things while trying to get the hang of it.:)
@responsiveme Lol - that's a Pixabay picture - I only have a laptop, no tablet or smartphone.. I just thought it was a nice picture of a computer.
@jaboUK Oh! and I thought you had turned into a techie! I have recently got a smart phone after years of not having one as the need came up for it...I need to look up trains sinceI'm always travelling back and forth. There is no longer the ol fashioned way of calling upthe enqury at the station...they don't pick up. Also for calling taxis...they are programmed to come only on their specific apps. And so I would ring up hubby or brother and they would book the taxi.so ., I decided I need to be independent in these things also What a long explanation
@responsiveme I've no need for a smartphone, I just have a basic one for making calls or texts.
Yes, and got the same reaction. Now I buy a box of wipes that are good for computers, electronics and my glasses.
@just4him You can get wipes that are good for computers? I've got some for my glasses but I've been wary of using them on my screen in case they contain any chemicals.
@jaboUK The box they came in said they were for computers and electronics as well as your glasses. I was looking for them so I could give you the name, but it seems I'm out of them.
@just4him Thanks anyway.
I've done some silly things with the old desktop, I remember spilling coffee on the keyboard, but it was all good.
@Juliaacv The coffee didn't ruin the keyboard? That was lucky.
@jaboUK No, I didn't spill a lot on it, and I was quick to react by turning it upside down and then getting a rag to clean up the drops.
@Juliaacv That's good - I should imagine that if a whole cup was spilled onto the keyboard, that would be the end of it.
I use surgical spirit with due recommendations from my expert technician. Now let me see (*scratches head) I have sometimes shut it down without the normal procedure when it has acted stubborn but somehow it did behave ok.
@allknowing So surgical spirit is ok, I didn't know that. I have my laptop set to go to sleep when I shut the lid, so I can just do that without any ill effects.
@jaboUK So far so good (lol)
• Shillong, India
I always do silly things with my laptop and phone too, wiping the screen with colgate
@psanasangma Oh my - did it survive the colgate?
• Shillong, India
@jaboUK Yes i did it just to get shine and remove scratch but nothing neither happen
@PurnaSharma (1771)
Do spray impair computer?? But i did many times and it still working.
@jaboUK ..when i was at school,we were told,not to bring computers in touch of liquid things,dust etc and to keep the room neat & clean where computer is placed.I know repeated doing these things may impair the computer when these thing come into the contact to it's some parts,where it shouldn't be reached.
@fishtiger58 (29387)
• Momence, Illinois
I'm happy to say I have not and yes you are very lucky you didn't ruin your computer.
@fishtiger58 Yes I was lucky - I just treated it like regular glass.
@fishtiger58 (29387)
• Momence, Illinois
@jaboUK A funny surface the computer monitors and the tv screens these days