This is an Emergency Call

Image by Pixabay Public Domain
@akalinus (22180)
I checked my phone messages yesterday. One said that this is an emergency call. Your Microsoft internet license has expired. All Microsoft services are to be canceled immediately. Please call this number to reinstate your internet license. Remember, this is an emergency. When I stopped laughing, I wondered how many people would believe it, call the number, and fall victim to some kind of hoax involving their money. It is sad that there are so many hoaxers online preying on people. Have you ever gotten calls like this? What is the most ridiculous hoax you ever got online or on your phone?
I've gotten the Microsoft one on the computer, not my phone, the IRS one, on my phone, There was one other one that right now I can't think of.
@akalinus (22180)
I get messages from the IRS, too. I just delete them.
@akalinus So do I.
@DaddyEvil (26042)
• Aurora, Missouri
@akalinus @just4him Okay, I want to know what the two of you have been doing that makes the scammers target you like that? I haven't gotten any calls like that (But I already explained why I wouldn't get scam phone calls.) or emails like that, either. (My email address is out there, like everyone else's.) I have no clue why I haven't gotten scam messages via email, though. What am I doing wrong?
@silvermist (20114)
Recently I got a mail from 'Paypal' saying my a,c has been suspended.They have given some 3 reasons.One I remember was huge amounts of money were being transferred to my a/c from foreign countries.I was to contact them immediately answer their queries.I wanted to reply denying everything.But then I remembered my son telling me never to reply to such scams and that paypal would never send something like that.
@akalinus (22180)
@silvermist Usually, that is the case. I have gotten these phony messages, also.
• Peoria, Arizona
Oh gosh . I have never heard of this happening before! I know of emails but never a phone call. That is funny haha
@akalinus (22180)
Yep, I lost my internet license. I don't remember ever applying for one. It is funny.
• Peoria, Arizona
@akalinus Who knew we had to be licensed to use the internet. haha
@akalinus (22180)
@DesirousDreamer Your license will expire tomorrow. Send $150 to my Paypal if you want to use the Internet. lol
@moffittjc (46270)
• Gainesville, Florida
I get scam calls every now and then from some bank I never heard of telling me that there is a problem with my credit card and that I need to call them immediately to resolve. Obviously, if I've never heard of the bank they are reporting to be, then I obviously don't have a credit card from them. Besides, I have fraud alert services set up on all my credit cards so that I get text alerts if there is any suspicious activity.
@akalinus (22180)
I think they are just hoping some of the people they reach will belong to that bank and be scared of a problem.
@DaddyEvil (26042)
• Aurora, Missouri
@moffittjc Hmmm... Jeff? Have you actually checked to see if those alerts work? Why don't I help you check that? Tell me the numbers on your credit cards and I will pretend to buy stuff with them. If the alerts work, I shouldn't be able to complete the transactions, right? (grinning and awaiting your reply to this!)
@akalinus (22180)
@DaddyEvil You're so funny, DE.
• New Delhi, India
Yes..these calls are common in India as well and they tend to ask debit card numbers with it.
@akalinus (22180)
Yes, they just want money and they don't care what they have to say to get you to hand it over. Shameful!
• New Delhi, India
@akalinus yes it us really insane
@akalinus (22180)
@amitkokiladitya Some people think you owe them.
@dodo19 (34007)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
I've gotten some emails like that. It's sad that there are some people who do these hoaxes and I feel bad for those fall victims of these sorts of things.
@akalinus (22180)
Yes, I do, too. When you are the victim, you lose more than just money. You feel bad that you got caught in it and it flattens your self esteem.
@dodo19 (34007)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@akalinus That's true. It's more than just the money. I can imagine that those who fall victim must feel bad afterwards.
@akalinus (22180)
@dodo19 Yes, I can only imagine. I know I would feel bad if I got hooked into something like that.
• Uzbekistan
We live in Germany. We've never received such a call. That doesn't mean that there are no criminals in Germany. But we've never been targeted. An explanation could be that we're in the telephone directory under my husband's Italian name. Maybe the crooks think that he wouldn't understand them.
@akalinus (22180)
It must be mostly in the USA, then. You never got any kind of hoax call online or on the phone??
• Uzbekistan
@akalinus No, we haven't. I know that we're lucky. A common, mean and, unfortunately, successful trick is to call old people and tell them that their grandson/daughter had an accident and needs money for an immediate operation. This is absolute nonsense but many old people fall for it and go to the bank to hand over thousands of Euros to a 'friend' of said grandson/daughter. Old people are found by combing through telephone directories to find old-fashioned first names. Many oldies have been saved by bank clerks who've been alerted to watch out for old people who suddenly take out thousands of Euros from their bank accounts. They call the police if the old person seems to be under pressure. Years ago young men used to call us to talk us into buying shares at the New York stock exchange, but they stopped doing so when we didn't react.
@akalinus (22180)
@MALUSE I have a friend who lost $5,000 on a version of the scam. The grandson called from Canada and said there was an accident and he was in jail. He needed money for bail and to leave the country. The caller had info about the grandson. Later, my friend found that the grandson was in Colorado and everything was fine.
@Meramar (2733)
Here in Spain, there are companies calling to offer some special offers. But not those like you explained. I also would laugh about it.
@akalinus (22180)
Special offers means that we have some junk you don't want or need and we want to charge you an exorbitant price for it. It will be broken when it gets there.
@Meramar (2733)
@akalinus I had these two guys who said i had to renew magazines worth 60 dollars and needed to give them my credit card number. I did not order those magazines, and I wouldn't give it to them The "supervisor" said the craziest thing that if I don't give my credit card number to THEM other people will get ahold of my credit card and put a lot of unauthorized charges on it! I hung up as THEY were trying to put charges on my credit card and they never explained how those others were getting my number!
@akalinus (22180)
You did not give them any credit card or bank info, did you?
@jhechorain (1228)
• Susanville, California
Always new scams in the works. What a shame.
@akalinus (22180)
When people catch onto one scam, they start another.
@sugartoes (43246)
• Greencastle, Indiana
thank god I haven't gotten that call yet cause I'd be LIKE HUH? what the -----
@akalinus (22180)
Never respond to a stranger on the phone. They could be anybody. Don't give strangers your personal or banking information. The IRS will not call you on the phone.
@mohdovi (1099)
Yes, one time someone call me and said we are calling from bank and your card is blocked and you need to verify all of your details and after that i give all thr details wrongly and they call me three times that its wrong and every time i do same.
@akalinus (22180)
I would just hang up. Then, look on your bank statement for the telephone number and call them to see if there is a problem with your account. If the number is not there, look up your bank number online. Never call the number back and NEVER give them any information.
I have yet to receive one of these calls but I certainly wouldn't fall for them! I feel bad for the people who do, though!
I've gotten calls like that in Florida from so-called Microsoft. I only had Apple products in Florida. My Microsoft computer was home in CT and hadn't been used in months. I asked for his name, address, and phone number and he gave them to me. I even asked that he repeat the. They could have been made up, but when I asked for his supervisor, the idiot hung up.
@stbrians (15900)
• Kakamega, Kenya
Thieves They pry on innocent unsuspecting people.
@akalinus (22180)
Yes, they do. It is not right, but they do it anyway.
An IRS bill and the person on the other line was threatening us. I reported it to the IRS and got that problem solved.
@akalinus (22180)
I get those calls. How do you report something to the IRS?
@akalinus I just called them up and they were going to have the FBI investigate it. You can, also, call the FBI directly.
@DaddyEvil (26042)
• Aurora, Missouri
LMFAO! No, I've never gotten one of those calls, Jo Ann, but I wouldn't receive one like that, anyway! (Every time I buy a new phone, the first thing I do with it is change the way it accepts phone calls. If the number calling me is not already in my phone's memory, it rejects the call. I will allow a phone number not in my directory to send a text message so the person can tell me to add them to the directory, but that is the best someone trying to hoax me will get!) I try not to leave myself open for stupidity.... So far, I haven't been "had", but I'm sure my day will come! Will you be around to rescue me if it does happen? (grinning at you! )